Cell Phones

Has anyone switched from android to ios?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2019 11:47 am
[OP]
Nov 26, 2013
512 posts
37 upvotes

Has anyone switched from android to ios?

I was thinking of switching because I never had ios before and wanted to see what it was like and considering the hardware and the software are a perfect match, I would assume the battery life would be longer with the same usage as android since everything is more efficient because it’s a lot easier for apple to make things run efficiently because all the variables are controlled, unlike android where google doesn’t know on what hardware the os will end up and the same goes for the apps that are being installed. I know IOS is lock-down as for customizing goes but I don’t really customize my android, I basically just use what comes out of the box. So has anyone switched to ios and basically kept the same usage pattern as they did on android and found the battery life to last longer on iOS? Comparing a similar android to the equivalent iPhone that is.
28 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1754 posts
890 upvotes
Ive moved back and fourth, currently using an iP. Honestly, just give yourself some time to learn the system and it’ll be ok. I like iPhones for their cameras and the screens.

I have an Android phone coming this week. I wont be missing this 16GB iP I’m using for sure. I say no to cloud.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2013
512 posts
37 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: Ive moved back and fourth, currently using an iP. Honestly, just give yourself some time to learn the system and it’ll be ok. I like iPhones for their cameras and the screens.

I have an Android phone coming this week. I wont be missing this 16GB iP I’m using for sure. I say no to cloud.
And did you notice a difference in battery life?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1754 posts
890 upvotes
Im not much of a power user and have screen time out, plus I got my battery changed when they had the cheap battery swap and destroyed my screen so I pretty much have a brand new iP.

My estimate is this would last a day if I were to do a long drive of 5hrs or so then some social media and YouTube.

Dont overthink it. Look at the battery capacity, anything above 3000mah should last you a day and you should be within inches of a USB wherever you are
Jun 21, 2008
545 posts
145 upvotes
mississauga
Biscayne05 wrote: Im not much of a power user and have screen time out, plus I got my battery changed when they had the cheap battery swap and destroyed my screen so I pretty much have a brand new iP.

My estimate is this would last a day if I were to do a long drive of 5hrs or so then some social media and YouTube.

Dont overthink it. Look at the battery capacity, anything above 3000mah should last you a day and you should be within inches of a USB wherever you are
I second this, just have a small powerbank handy in case
[OP]
Nov 26, 2013
512 posts
37 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: Im not much of a power user and have screen time out, plus I got my battery changed when they had the cheap battery swap and destroyed my screen so I pretty much have a brand new iP.

Ok I was asking because someone I know with an iPhone SE gets 2 days of battery life and the same for someone with an iPhone XR. But I just don't know if they use it as much as I do.
Aug 11, 2018
993 posts
919 upvotes
johnnyh55 wrote: Ok I was asking because someone I know with an iPhone SE gets 2 days of battery life and the same for someone with an iPhone XR. But I just don't know if they use it as much as I do.
don't ever compare 1 persons usage to another. there are way too many factors to consider when determining if the battery will last you through the day.. person 'A' may get 2 days of battery life, but they just text/email/browse, whereas person 'B' will expect those same results with constant social media refreshes (facebook drains), watching videos, etc.

there are also factors that are out of your control:
- signal strength
- temperature outside (colder it gets, the crappier your battery will be for example)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4516 upvotes
Alberta
We switched from iOS to Android and will never go back.
Mar 11, 2011
893 posts
366 upvotes
Toronto
My comments here are concerning tablets, not phones. But it may still be relevant to your question. I recently needed a new tablet and picked up a new high-end Samsung from Costco. A few days later, I saw that they had Ipads on sale for only $379 (over a $150 less than the Samsung). I used them both at home for a couple of weeks and eventually returned the Ipad, in spite of the great price.

Here's why. The keyboard on the Ipad lacks a number row. Every time you want to type a number, you have to switch to another keyboard. Very awkward when typing passwords, etc. Also, the Samsung keyboard had cursor keys so you could float over the text to correct a typo just like on a desktop. The other thing that bothered me was the inability to add a memory card. I like to load up an SD card with movies and stuff from my desktop when I go off on holiday. Can't do this on Apple products.
Nov 26, 2014
127 posts
136 upvotes
Calgary
I switched from a HTC One M7 to iPhone 5s and haven't looked back. Both Andriod and iOS are great but I've stuck with iOS because it just works. I don't care to customize or do anything special with my phone and just want it to work. The only downside is the price and falling down the Apple ecosystem hole.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3081 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto, ON
46jimbo wrote: My comments here are concerning tablets, not phones. But it may still be relevant to your question. I recently needed a new tablet and picked up a new high-end Samsung from Costco. A few days later, I saw that they had Ipads on sale for only $379 (over a $150 less than the Samsung). I used them both at home for a couple of weeks and eventually returned the Ipad, in spite of the great price.

Here's why. The keyboard on the Ipad lacks a number row. Every time you want to type a number, you have to switch to another keyboard. Very awkward when typing passwords, etc. Also, the Samsung keyboard had cursor keys so you could float over the text to correct a typo just like on a desktop. The other thing that bothered me was the inability to add a memory card. I like to load up an SD card with movies and stuff from my desktop when I go off on holiday. Can't do this on Apple products.
The only thing I find that sucks about all Android tablets is their longevity. They just don't perform well for very long and lose support pretty quickly.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5729 posts
1967 upvotes
Space
I use both daily. iOS is less intrusive and just easier to use. Apps are also more polished and run better IMO. Nothing beats software that is mated to hardware seamlessly. Android has its ups, customizations are endless, and it has more options when you want to get something done. I would say in its current form IOS > Android
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2002
1495 posts
623 upvotes
Midland
I would say social notifications are much smoother on iOS vs Android
Jan 4, 2019
534 posts
546 upvotes
I switched from Android to iPhone for a bit, and back several times. Each time I come crawling back to android

My email usage is my number one reason for sticking with android. iOS seems to have issues running 6-7 emails.

I also find some minor usages that I do daily more difficult than needed on iOS.

That said, it's nice to use for the most part.

My biggest let peeve is photos and backups. iOS makes this hard to do custom. The fact that photos have different formatting on your phone versus the cloud drives me insane. Among other things that just boggle my mind.

Each system has their own pros and cons. If you have the ability, just give both a try and go from there.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2016 posts
430 upvotes
I have an iPhone for personal use and a Galaxy S9 for work so I use both daily. I prefer using the iPhone overall and find apps work better. There are parts of android I really like though, i.e. my phone goes silent when connected to my home wifi between 6PM and 7AM.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5410 posts
3852 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
46jimbo wrote: My comments here are concerning tablets, not phones. But it may still be relevant to your question. I recently needed a new tablet and picked up a new high-end Samsung from Costco. A few days later, I saw that they had Ipads on sale for only $379 (over a $150 less than the Samsung). I used them both at home for a couple of weeks and eventually returned the Ipad, in spite of the great price.

For iPads, you can access the number row without switching keyboard. The numbers are on the top row were QWERTY is. You just put your finger on the letter and drag down. Sure, it's not as fast as dedicated number row, but it's still pretty fast compared to switching keyboards. You can also get third party keyboards with the number row. For the cursor, you can do the same, you do a hard press on the keyboard and can hover over at text.

The SD card is a pain though if you need it. Gave to urchase a separate dongle for it. I just resort to streaming everything now.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16586 posts
5205 upvotes
London
If you use a lot of google services, stick with android. I found android is much more data efficient than iOS when you use a lot of google services. For example, I went from less that 500MB per month in Android to 800-900+ MB /month on iOS

I also found that the apps I use - Weather network, Opera Mini and google calendar work better in android. Weather network and google calendar alerts are intermittent on iOS and I always double check. Opera Mini is just plain buggy on iOS. Also, I think the voip integration is better on android
[OP]
Nov 26, 2013
512 posts
37 upvotes
Has anyone switch from android to iOS with the same usage pattern at home and at work and notice better battery life on iOS or Android?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18725 posts
2444 upvotes
Woodbridge
I go back and forth daily.

I prefer android but I find some iOS apps are smoother and/or works better.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)