Careers

Has anyone take Nait/Sait Business Administration?

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1464 posts
67 upvotes
Edmonton

Has anyone take Nait/Sait Business Administration?

I'm thinking of taking this program next school year. Has anyone taken this program? If so, did you like it? What type of job cann you get after completing the diploma or degree? I plan on specializing in Finance or Marketing. Any help would be appreciated.
20 replies
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1711 posts
254 upvotes
I can't comment specifically on the BA program at those schools but my opinion is that folks with these types of BA certificates are a dime a dozen and the career/job prospects are not that attractive.

You want to find a program that can lead to a successful career (especially in Calgary or Edmonton) look into the Land Administrator programs (http://www.sait.ca/programs-and-courses ... erview.php) or a Technologist program in GIS or Geosciences (http://www.sait.ca/programs-and-courses ... erview.php or http://www.sait.ca/programs-and-courses ... erview.php or the geoscience tech program.)

You can find out more information about Technologist career here: http://www.aset.ab.ca/pages/home/default.aspx
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1464 posts
67 upvotes
Edmonton
calgaryhhr wrote: I can't comment specifically on the BA program at those schools but my opinion is that folks with these types of BA certificates are a dime a dozen and the career/job prospects are not that attractive.

You want to find a program that can lead to a successful career (especially in Calgary or Edmonton) look into the Land Administrator programs (http://www.sait.ca/programs-and-courses ... erview.php) or a Technologist program in GIS or Geosciences (http://www.sait.ca/programs-and-courses ... erview.php or http://www.sait.ca/programs-and-courses ... erview.php or the geoscience tech program.)

You can find out more information about Technologist career here: http://www.aset.ab.ca/pages/home/default.aspx
Well actually, on nait website it says the Business Administration Diploma-management employment rate is 100%. So why do you say graduates from Nait/Sait BA don't get hired?

I was considering being a land man. But I simply cannot find enough info about it, or anyone in the career.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1711 posts
254 upvotes
CalgaryExotics wrote: Well actually, on nait website it says the Business Administration Diploma-management employment rate is 100%. So why do you say graduates from Nait/Sait BA don't get hired?

I was considering being a land man. But I simply cannot find enough info about it, or anyone in the career.
I'm not saying that you wouldn't or couldn't get hired after completing the BA program but it could be somewhat tough. A lot of people seem to believe that a BA or an MBA is the golden ticket to a spectacular future. From what I have seen the career growth potential is not as attractive as a Technologist role or as a Landman. Down here in Calgary, where a lot of E&P companies are based, a Landman position is invaluable. I've heard from many Exploration Manager and company Presidents that a good Landman is worth their weight in gold.

Take a look at the CAPL website to see what information you can find (http://www.landman.ca/about/traditions.php) or have a look at the Olds College website for information about their program (http://www.oldscollege.ca/programs/Land ... andman.htm)

I don't know how many Land companies are located up in Edmonton but you can always try to call up one of the companies and see if you can set up a meeting get more information about the profession. In Calgary, Scott Land & Lease, Britt, Standard Land and Ranger are the bigger Land Agents/Associates. If you showed some interest someone would be happy to go over things with you and provide valuable information.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1464 posts
67 upvotes
Edmonton
calgaryhhr wrote: I'm not saying that you wouldn't or couldn't get hired after completing the BA program but it could be somewhat tough. A lot of people seem to believe that a BA or an MBA is the golden ticket to a spectacular future. From what I have seen the career growth potential is not as attractive as a Technologist role or as a Landman. Down here in Calgary, where a lot of E&P companies are based, a Landman position is invaluable. I've heard from many Exploration Manager and company Presidents that a good Landman is worth their weight in gold.

Take a look at the CAPL website to see what information you can find (http://www.landman.ca/about/traditions.php) or have a look at the Olds College website for information about their program (http://www.oldscollege.ca/programs/Land ... andman.htm)

I don't know how many Land companies are located up in Edmonton but you can always try to call up one of the companies and see if you can set up a meeting get more information about the profession. In Calgary, Scott Land & Lease, Britt, Standard Land and Ranger are the bigger Land Agents/Associates. If you showed some interest someone would be happy to go over things with you and provide valuable information.
May I ask, are you a career head hunter?

A university business degree and and MBA certificate will get you a better job obviously but to complete both it'd take 7 years and you need to be very smart and focused. That is not for me. The Nait website says that it's graduates from the business administration diploma- management have a 100% employment rate, how can you argue with that? It means their graduates got hired immediately. It also says the starting salary is $48k which is nothing special but it is descent. Initially I was planing on taking this program and then getting a job is sales, more specifically car sales.

The land administration program I was thinking of taking but again the lack of people on the career wiling to speak about it is low. The amount of information about the career is low. And from what I've read, land man can make a lot of money, but the type of work is not appealing and the locations they work are not always appealing. For example they have of deal with old farmers that are not friendly at all. A few months I was considering taking courses for this career at Olds college.

I appreciate your input!
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1711 posts
254 upvotes
I'm an Exploration Geologist. I personally feel that a career as a Landman or a Land Administrator is very lucrative and can be very rewarding. Salary is good will lots of potential to increase salary very rapidly. There are also lots of benefits and opportunities that come with experience and networking.

Cars sales is a brutal industry from what I have heard. I know a handful of folks that have been in that industry for a while and have been successful. It is not easy to be a successful auto salesman. I heard from one buddy that less than 20% of sales people have any notable success and less than 5% really make a great living doing it. Most don't last a year at a dealership and don't stay in the industry for more than 3 years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1464 posts
67 upvotes
Edmonton
calgaryhhr wrote: I'm an Exploration Geologist. I personally feel that a career as a Landman or a Land Administrator is very lucrative and can be very rewarding. Salary is good will lots of potential to increase salary very rapidly. There are also lots of benefits and opportunities that come with experience and networking.

Cars sales is a brutal industry from what I have heard. I know a handful of folks that have been in that industry for a while and have been successful. It is not easy to be a successful auto salesman. I heard from one buddy that less than 20% of sales people have any notable success and less than 5% really make a great living doing it. Most don't last a year at a dealership and don't stay in the industry for more than 3 years.
Oh so with your job you do have an idea of the oil and gas business. I think the land agent career is somewhat niche. Because Alberta and Saskatchewan are the only provinces with the need for land agents.

I know that sales in general are extremely competitive. But I like business and cars and with the combination of both I think I will do well. And besides if I complete the BA program at Nait/Sait and work in car sales and I don't succed I can always get another job since I have a diploma. One thing ill say is that I think I'm order to do well in a sales career you need to have repetitive customers that know you, like you, and well come back to do business with you. And if they are happy they will promote you to their friends. If you have this you can do very well. I hear finance managers in dealerships make the most and they don't even deal with the initial sale but rather the method of payment(finance,lease, cash buyout)
Sr. Member
Oct 18, 2010
707 posts
108 upvotes
BCAB
calgaryhhr wrote: I'm an Exploration Geologist. I personally feel that a career as a Landman or a Land Administrator is very lucrative and can be very rewarding. Salary is good will lots of potential to increase salary very rapidly. There are also lots of benefits and opportunities that come with experience and networking.

Cars sales is a brutal industry from what I have heard. I know a handful of folks that have been in that industry for a while and have been successful. It is not easy to be a successful auto salesman. I heard from one buddy that less than 20% of sales people have any notable success and less than 5% really make a great living doing it. Most don't last a year at a dealership and don't stay in the industry for more than 3 years.
What type of jobs can an Accounting/Risk professional get in the Mining/Geology industry? I'd love switch and work in the Mining/Geology field but I don't think I'd ever go back to school and do a P.Eng or P.Geo designation. Geology industry seems to be quite lucrative and rewarding!!
Sr. Member
Oct 18, 2010
707 posts
108 upvotes
BCAB
CalgaryExotics wrote: Oh so with your job you do have an idea of the oil and gas business. I think the land agent career is somewhat niche. Because Alberta and Saskatchewan are the only provinces with the need for land agents.

I know that sales in general are extremely competitive. But I like business and cars and with the combination of both I think I will do well. And besides if I complete the BA program at Nait/Sait and work in car sales and I don't succed I can always get another job since I have a diploma. One thing ill say is that I think I'm order to do well in a sales career you need to have repetitive customers that know you, like you, and well come back to do business with you. And if they are happy they will promote you to their friends. If you have this you can do very well. I hear finance managers in dealerships make the most and they don't even deal with the initial sale but rather the method of payment(finance,lease, cash buyout)

I think in the current market, I don't think you will get anywhere with a Diploma in Business Admin. If you want to work in car dealership as a Finance Manager, then you probably need to work your way in there. But fact is if you get a diploma in business admin, you are no different than all the other 1000s of business graduates with degrees that graduate each year out of Western Canada.

I don't even know what kind of job you can get with a Diploma in Business Admin? Most likely some admin - paperwork job that pays probably max $18 to $20 a hr and you probaby will hate it? If you got a Diploma in Business Admin 10 years ago, it could be different story, but the value of Diploma in Business Admin today is pretty.... diluted as so many ppl have it. In today's market, if you want to be a manager in a big corporation in business/finance related position, you need at minimum a degree and to be competitive a master level education or professional designations like CA, CMA, CGA, CFA, P.Eng, P.Geo, MBA.

If you want to earn lots of $.... you need to follow the trend and opportunities, and the trend right now is that trades such as Mechanics, whatever type of Journey Men electrician, machinist or whatever.. are earning tons of $ in Fort Mac. Also, healthcare professionals are earning good $ now too. Ever considered being a Registered Nurse? Pharmacist?

There's not much opportunities for fresh new business grads right now and it's fact. Just read the career forums here and see how many business grads hate their lives and are crying and blah blah.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1711 posts
254 upvotes
bavarianboy wrote: What type of jobs can an Accounting/Risk professional get in the Mining/Geology industry? I'd love switch and work in the Mining/Geology field but I don't think I'd ever go back to school and do a P.Eng or P.Geo designation. Geology industry seems to be quite lucrative and rewarding!!
There should be quite a few opportunities for an accounting/risk professional. Obviously, accountants are needed at all the companies. If you have experience evaluating risk and potentially have experience doing M&A stuff or asset evaluation you could find a position doing JV type work or business development quite easily. Maybe something related to procurement.

Have a look at the various majors to see what sort of opportunities exist in their career sections (Shell, Suncor, Encana/Cenovus, Nexen, Husky, Talisman, Chevron, etc.)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1464 posts
67 upvotes
Edmonton
bavarianboy wrote: I think in the current market, I don't think you will get anywhere with a Diploma in Business Admin. If you want to work in car dealership as a Finance Manager, then you probably need to work your way in there. But fact is if you get a diploma in business admin, you are no different than all the other 1000s of business graduates with degrees that graduate each year out of Western Canada.

I don't even know what kind of job you can get with a Diploma in Business Admin? Most likely some admin - paperwork job that pays probably max $18 to $20 a hr and you probaby will hate it? If you got a Diploma in Business Admin 10 years ago, it could be different story, but the value of Diploma in Business Admin today is pretty.... diluted as so many ppl have it. In today's market, if you want to be a manager in a big corporation in business/finance related position, you need at minimum a degree and to be competitive a master level education or professional designations like CA, CMA, CGA, CFA, P.Eng, P.Geo, MBA.

If you want to earn lots of $.... you need to follow the trend and opportunities, and the trend right now is that trades such as Mechanics, whatever type of Journey Men electrician, machinist or whatever.. are earning tons of $ in Fort Mac. Also, healthcare professionals are earning good $ now too. Ever considered being a Registered Nurse? Pharmacist?

There's not much opportunities for fresh new business grads right now and it's fact. Just read the career forums here and see how many business grads hate their lives and are crying and blah blah.
Well I kind of know the business administration diploma isn't much. But here's what I was thinking: I could take the business administration diploma at Nait/Sait and then try car sales for a year or two. If I'm successful I'd keep going. If not I could come back to school and take the Occupational Health and Safety 2 year diploma. Someone told me this career is very good and it's quiet easy. Or I could get the Business Administration Degree from Nait/Sait.

If I had better marks, and all the pre-requisites then I could go into the medicine or engineering field. But I just don't have high enough marks. I am also aware that tradesman make a lot of money, but the people in trades aren't usually friendly and they smoke. They sure do make a lot in Fort Mac but the work is long and dirty.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9298 posts
1792 upvotes
Edmonton
Sounds like you have no idea what you want to do.
As for the "100% employment rate", it's super misleading. Getting a business degree and working in retail management would be included in that 100%, but it's not like you need a business degree to do that. They use really broad parameters to come up with their employment rate.
Sr. Member
Mar 9, 2008
739 posts
86 upvotes
Winnipeg
You really don't need any education to work in car sales though. That's the misleading part of it.

You'd be better off with that health and safety diploma over anything else, but even then, it's pretty generic. Why not consider upgrading your high school grades first?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1464 posts
67 upvotes
Edmonton
mastercool wrote: You really don't need any education to work in car sales though. That's the misleading part of it.

You'd be better off with that health and safety diploma over anything else, but even then, it's pretty generic. Why not consider upgrading your high school grades first?
I could upgrade my high school grades, but then again, I could maybe get into Grant Macewan. I know that you don't need to education to be a car salesman, but what is the chance of someone with no education succeeding in car sales right out of high school? I doubt there are a lot.

I think a BA diploma followed by a health and safety diploma could be good. If not that then a BA diploma followed by another to years of BA to get a degree

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)