Careers

Has anyone taken a RCMP RPAT Exam or similar Police entrance exam?

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2015 12:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 24, 2013
32 posts
2 upvotes
Coquitlam

Has anyone taken a RCMP RPAT Exam or similar Police entrance exam?

I am asking if anyone has taken the RCMP or similar police entrance exam, I specifically am asking for information out of the Vancouver area. Can anyone offer any advice on the exam or the competitiveness of the entire process for a university graduate with an engineering degree. Also I know the information sessions were mandatory in the past, but are they still?

Any insight would be helpful, Thanks.
4 replies
Apr 20, 2008
236 posts
112 upvotes
google blue line forums as the information you're seeking may be there
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1067 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I attended Depot in 2014, BlueLine is definitely the best source for info.

Feel free to PM me questions as well, more than happy to share!
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2114 posts
856 upvotes
I did the RPAT test 3 years ago, passed it. Was like 3 hour test not too hard, however I did some memorization study before. They ask you to memorize license plates, vehicle description and the distinguishing features of a series of suspect photos, things like tatoos, name, criminal offense history etc. Some basic math calculations and psyche questions.

I was offered a selection package in the mail to proceed further but never handed it in. The selection package is a mini novel, they will ask every single detail of your life, every job you had, every place you lived, friends from ions ago etc. The eye test I knew I would fail and couldn't stomach doing lasik for 4K just for one job application that could be rejected for a plethora of reasons. If your eyes are good then the cost is minimal to proceed further. The depot was probably much more like a military boot camp than any of the other law enforcement institutions. Another thing that bothered me was the few choices of location assignment, you will most likely be sent to anywhere in Canada particular the western frontiers where they do not have municipal or provincial police forces. It will take years for you to get the option of moving back to your home province if so the opportunity every arises.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1067 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto, ON
astrotrain wrote: I did the RPAT test 3 years ago, passed it. Was like 3 hour test not too hard, however I did some memorization study before. They ask you to memorize license plates, vehicle description and the distinguishing features of a series of suspect photos, things like tatoos, name, criminal offense history etc. Some basic math calculations and psyche questions.

I was offered a selection package in the mail to proceed further but never handed it in. The selection package is a mini novel, they will ask every single detail of your life, every job you had, every place you lived, friends from ions ago etc. The eye test I knew I would fail and couldn't stomach doing lasik for 4K just for one job application that could be rejected for a plethora of reasons. If your eyes are good then the cost is minimal to proceed further. The depot was probably much more like a military boot camp than any of the other law enforcement institutions. Another thing that bothered me was the few choices of location assignment, you will most likely be sent to anywhere in Canada particular the western frontiers where they do not have municipal or provincial police forces. It will take years for you to get the option of moving back to your home province if so the opportunity every arises.
I can second what you've said here.

And yes, two things to realize: the training is para-military and you must be willing to be posted anywhere in Canada.
There were people who'd go through 20 weeks of training and then leave because they did not think this through fully. Don't assume they'll accommodate based on family, housing, finances, etc.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)