Automotive

Has anyone used their Costco executive membership to get car&home insurance?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2016 9:57 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
355 upvotes

Has anyone used their Costco executive membership to get car&home insurance?

My car insurance renewal is coming and current company Johnson has increased my premium about 15%. So it's time to shop again! I called Costco to find out how to use the executive membership benefit to get car insurance and they give me a phone number and website to check. I tried the phone number it says the call can not be completed. I tried the website it says coming soon> :(

The insurance broker Costco refered me to is called inova. Phone number is 18669677707, website is www.inovainc.ca.

Has anyone used their Costco membership to get car insurance? And how did you get it? Thanks.
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5926 posts
594 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
LoveRFD wrote: My car insurance renewal is coming and current company Johnson has increased my premium about 15%. So it's time to shop again! I called Costco to find out how to use the executive membership benefit to get car insurance and they give me a phone number and website to check. I tried the phone number it says the call can not be completed. I tried the website it says coming soon> :(

The insurance broker Costco refered me to is called inova. Phone number is 18669677707, website is www.inovainc.ca.

Has anyone used their Costco membership to get car insurance? And how did you get it? Thanks.

website says coming soon. If they're cheaper, hell I'll pay for it using my exec amex. :D
--
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
355 upvotes
m4gician wrote: website says coming soon. If they're cheaper, hell I'll pay for it using my exec amex. :D

The problem is: I need to renew my insurance and there's no way I can contact them!
Jan 12, 2009
2 posts
Toronto
I didn't have any problems calling them and making a quote. I hate doing quotes over the phone, if an insurance company cannot provide online quotes, they basically lost my business... it is just way too slow. But anyways, because they are affiliated with Costco, I gave them a try.
However, the quote was ridiculously high. I pay around $3600/year for 2 cars and Inova has quoted me at over 5000, even with a discount if I insured my home. But what works for some may not work for others, so if you can, I suggest you try it.
Have you tried TD Insurance? I've been with them for 3 years. I shop for insurance every year and no one got even close to their quotes for me. I believe that the second lowest quote I got was around $4500 for both cars, all others were $5000+.
Apr 15, 2007
114 posts
24 upvotes
GTA
+1 for TD Insurance! All the other quotes I got were about 500-1000 more!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8715 posts
1355 upvotes
Ontario
tried both, and more $$ from what I pay now..
rfdealsuser wrote: I didn't have any problems calling them and making a quote. I hate doing quotes over the phone, if an insurance company cannot provide online quotes, they basically lost my business... it is just way too slow. But anyways, because they are affiliated with Costco, I gave them a try.
However, the quote was ridiculously high. I pay around $3600/year for 2 cars and Inova has quoted me at over 5000, even with a discount if I insured my home. But what works for some may not work for others, so if you can, I suggest you try it.
Have you tried TD Insurance? I've been with them for 3 years. I shop for insurance every year and no one got even close to their quotes for me. I believe that the second lowest quote I got was around $4500 for both cars, all others were $5000+.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
355 upvotes
Thanks. I just tried their number again and it worked this time but they are closed after 5. So far the cheapest quote I got is from coseco using kanetix website. I will give give TD a try and see how much they quote me.
Sep 11, 2007
213 posts
31 upvotes
Brampton
RBC insurance gave me a better rate than TD. Will see what kind of quote Inova gives me.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1580 posts
570 upvotes
Markham
becmonchu wrote: +1 for TD Insurance! All the other quotes I got were about 500-1000 more!

I think it depends on your driving experience.... Why td gave me a quote 5000 more then the company I'm with now....
And no that's not a typo... Why it is 5000 More... Why so that bumps my insurance to $9000+ a year on a 2011 Mazda 2
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15432 posts
4600 upvotes
London
I think the secret to getting a good ins rate is to ask around to see if you are eligible for a group rate. It might be affiliated with your employer, your union, employee association, alumni association, professional association, etc.

The difference between td primax (non group) and td monnex (group only) can be pretty big even though it looks like the same company. You would have to eligible to get a group rate from td monnex
Jun 9, 2006
814 posts
162 upvotes
l69norm wrote: The difference between td primax (non group) and td monnex (group only)
TD primax? Do you mean Primmum?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
canadian250 wrote: RBC insurance gave me a better rate than TD. Will see what kind of quote Inova gives me.
I bank with TD and RBC also gave me a lower quote then TD on 4 cars and home insurance.
Jun 9, 2006
814 posts
162 upvotes
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: I bank with TD and RBC also gave me a lower quote then TD on 4 cars and home insurance.

Having your banking with TD won't give you any better insurance deal at TD insurance than if you had your banking elsewhere.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
355 upvotes
The quote I got from Inova was pretty high. I finally went with Coseco. I used kanetix to search for the lowest quote and Coseco is the one.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
intelmic wrote: Having your banking with TD won't give you any better insurance deal at TD insurance than if you had your banking elsewhere.
I understand that, my point was I'm a loyal TD banker and yet I still went with RBC based on price.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)