Has anyone user DUCA small business chequing account before

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2021 2:00 pm
[OP]
May 22, 2019
494 posts
105 upvotes

Has anyone user DUCA small business chequing account before

This is what DUCA advertised, any potential issues and any pitfalls that I may get trapped?

https://www.duca.com/business/business-accounts

No monthly fee
Unlimited ATM deposits and withdrawals1
Unlimited online bill payments
Unlimited Interac® direct payments (Point of Sale)
Unlimited transfers between DUCA accounts
Free Annual Business Health Check
Free Interac® e-Transfers
Free Certified Cheques
Free bill payments
$0.75 In-branch withdrawals/transfers
Add Overdraft Protection – $2.50 per month (up to $5,0005) plus applicable interest

It says free certified cheque, how can I get free certified cheque via internet?

Are they really free with any kind of balance maintained?

======Account setup is finished, now i have further problem to ask =====

I am a small business owner who has the DUCA small business account. Does anyone have experience with how to setup direct deposit to my employee whose chequing account is in BMO?

The how-to description on DUCA website is really very confusing. https://www.duca.com/business/business-accounts

It asked me (employer) to download and fill in a Direct Deposits / Pre-Authorized debit form. After I received this form from my employee, who should I sent it to? My employee sent me a form, I don't know who should I sent it.

The hotline for DUCA is not 24 hours, and whenever they work, I am in construction site, not in front of a computer. It is hard to get help from them. I really appreciate your help.
Last edited by ilovetoyota on Apr 11th, 2021 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
10 replies
Mar 18, 2006
157 posts
104 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote: This is what DUCA advertised, any potential issues and any pitfalls that I may get trapped?

https://www.duca.com/business/business-accounts

No monthly fee
Unlimited ATM deposits and withdrawals1
Unlimited online bill payments
Unlimited Interac® direct payments (Point of Sale)
Unlimited transfers between DUCA accounts
Free Annual Business Health Check
Free Interac® e-Transfers
Free Certified Cheques
Free bill payments
$0.75 In-branch withdrawals/transfers
Add Overdraft Protection – $2.50 per month (up to $5,0005) plus applicable interest

It says free certified cheque, how can I get free certified cheque via internet?

Are they really free with any kind of balance maintained?
I've used this account since summer of 2019 (was with BMO before, and didn't want to pay fees). Big positive difference in dealing with Duca. I bank 100% remotely, including pay CRA for payroll/taxes/HST, etc. For me, I have not encountered an issue that hasn't been resolved within the day!

No catches here, and it works as advertised for fees. Though I have not used a certified cheque yet, but I'm sure if you call them, they can figure out a way. I was only cautioned about not depositing business cheques in Exchange/Acculink ATM's but Duca's (and even Meridian). Exchange/Acculink will return a business cheque deposit to you (SB advisor worked at Meridian before, so she knew Meridian passes deposits at their ATM to Duca).

Aside from this, enjoy $0 fee banking! And if something doesn't work as expected, email the CEO (yes, he responds personally).
Dec 12, 2020
14 posts
26 upvotes
I tried signing up with Duca a while ago but it was the most stressful ordeal. Everything was so slow and cumbersome. I gave up and just went with CIBC. The service has been great there and I'm on an account that has no fees with a min 15k balance, which I always have anyways, so in the end its no biggie. And the CIBC app is fantastic.
[OP]
May 22, 2019
494 posts
105 upvotes
If I want to order cheques, how much per cheque cost?
sprinter wrote: I've used this account since summer of 2019 (was with BMO before, and didn't want to pay fees). Big positive difference in dealing with Duca. I bank 100% remotely, including pay CRA for payroll/taxes/HST, etc. For me, I have not encountered an issue that hasn't been resolved within the day!

No catches here, and it works as advertised for fees. Though I have not used a certified cheque yet, but I'm sure if you call them, they can figure out a way. I was only cautioned about not depositing business cheques in Exchange/Acculink ATM's but Duca's (and even Meridian). Exchange/Acculink will return a business cheque deposit to you (SB advisor worked at Meridian before, so she knew Meridian passes deposits at their ATM to Duca).

Aside from this, enjoy $0 fee banking! And if something doesn't work as expected, email the CEO (yes, he responds personally).
Mar 18, 2006
157 posts
104 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote: If I want to order cheques, how much per cheque cost?
I didn't use Duca for ordering cheques. But check out ASAP pricing here. If I remember correctly, from ordering to delivery, it was 3 business days (includes new account verification).
[OP]
May 22, 2019
494 posts
105 upvotes
sprinter wrote: I didn't use Duca for ordering cheques. But check out ASAP pricing here. If I remember correctly, from ordering to delivery, it was 3 business days (includes new account verification).
Thanks, did you use their small business card?
Mar 18, 2006
157 posts
104 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote: Thanks, did you use their small business card?
No. I had BMO MC from before.
One thing to note for getting a business credit card is they will base it on your credit worthiness (individual), not the corporation. As others have suggested, if you have an extra personal card, you can use that exclusively for business expenses.
Apr 5, 2017
611 posts
141 upvotes
We are using their no fee business account, so far so good . As advertised no fee , if we don't use their tellers !
[OP]
May 22, 2019
494 posts
105 upvotes
I am a small business owner who has the DUCA small business account. Does anyone have experience with how to setup direct deposit to my employee whose chequing account is in BMO?

The how-to description on DUCA website is really very confusing. https://www.duca.com/business/business-accounts

It asked me (employer) to download and fill in a Direct Deposits / Pre-Authorized debit form. After I received this form from my employee, who should I sent it to? My employee sent me a form, I don't know who should I sent it.

The hotline for DUCA is not 24 hours, and whenever they work, I am in construction site, not in front of a computer. It is hard to get help from them. I really appreciate your help.
MK1986 wrote: We are using their no fee business account, so far so good . As advertised no fee , if we don't use their tellers !
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1312 posts
1479 upvotes
Are you trying to do payroll or something? I wouldn't expect DUCA to do that for free (although could be mistaken), but a payroll service which would debit your account and then credit your employee.

As for the form you've mentioned, it's not for direct depositing funds to an employee. It's for having another organization deposit funds into your account, or for having another organization withdraw funds from your account.
🏦 Banking: Alterna Bank (1.1%, No fees), Motive Financial (1.25%, No fees)
📈 Investing: Scotia iTRADE (XGRO, No fees)
💳 Spending: Scotia Amex Gold (5pts dine/3pts drive, forex), Amex SCP (2%, rest), Brim World Mastercard (1.5%, non-Amex spend)
[OP]
May 22, 2019
494 posts
105 upvotes
JOshnet, thanks a lot for the explanation.

Has anyone done direct payroll deposit from DUCA small business to employee's banking account?
joshnet wrote: Are you trying to do payroll or something? I wouldn't expect DUCA to do that for free (although could be mistaken), but a payroll service which would debit your account and then credit your employee.

As for the form you've mentioned, it's not for direct depositing funds to an employee. It's for having another organization deposit funds into your account, or for having another organization withdraw funds from your account.