Food & Drink

Has the McDonald's Coffee changed the taste yesterday?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2021 8:00 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 18, 2009
1548 posts
498 upvotes
Edmonton

Has the McDonald's Coffee changed the taste yesterday?

I normly buy 3-4 a day at McDonald's a day & yesterday i went to 5 diffrent locations hoping it was just 1 location, But every location the taste was disgusting with an after taste in your mouth, even after 2 hours, Taste was still there. the coffee was totally different, Watered-down version. It only got changed yesterday, because i buy multiple coffee a day.

Back to tims? Arg not the best either.
38 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17360 posts
4470 upvotes
Toronto
It seems to be a problem in the States also: https://www.coffeedetective.com/has-mcd ... anged.html

From that site: (this is a cut and paste. If it is false info, I do apoligize)

In the comment section:

Dec 17, 2020
Help find new coffee
by: Anonymous

"Yes, recently McCafe switched suppliers from Kraft to Green Mountain, and the coffee is now different and not good. My favorite coffee was old McCafe Breakfast Blend kcups. Now I need to find new coffee. Can anyone recommend kcup with similar taste?"
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17360 posts
4470 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote: I hope this isn't true! Just found this article. I haven't been buying McD's coffee much anymore, but I agree there is a different taste, almost a duller taste.

https://www.insauga.com/mcdonalds-annou ... its-coffee
You beat me to it. I was going to post this info: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/t ... 98011.html
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3913 posts
2495 upvotes
yeah the taste is not the same anymore, need to find something else.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3457 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder how all the McDonald's coffee lovers will troll every Timmies thread now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5517 posts
4585 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: I wonder how all the McDonald's coffee lovers will troll every Timmies thread now.
Still better than Tim's
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3457 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: Still better than Tim's
Still a comparison of garbage vs garbage
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 18, 2009
1548 posts
498 upvotes
Edmonton
Now its finally hitting all mcdonalds across canada i supposed, Horrible
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4358 upvotes
What I've been saying all along. The "yadda yadda" guilt trip (any of: organic, locavore, sustainable, ethical, GMO-free, etc) means nothing if the taste sucks or the price is too high (why I hate A&W Canada).

McD decides to switch to "ethical sourcing", kept the price the same (to their credit... let's see how long that lasts) but didn't bother to try to keep the taste the same. Dumb move.

Their latest commercials have all been pushing the grass-fed beef (in response to A&W I'm sure) but they haven't changed the taste or the prices of the burgers, so big shrug there. Not so with the coffee.
Imagine an ad campaign showing coffee growers in South America rather than cattle farmers in Alberta, saying "our coffee tastes like shit now but hey, you're helping these guys in Colombia"... that's what is happening here. And it's a failure.

If you want something different that isn't Tim's give Starbucks True North a try. It's marketed as "blonde roast" (light) but their roasting scale is a notch or two above standard so it's more of a medium, and given its name, was blended for Canadian tastes. Remember if you are a Starbucks Rewards member, free refills as long as you don't leave the premises; even though there's no inside seating most will let you do this as long as you finish your drinks in their patio area. That's something you don't get at McD or Tims. Easy hack is to carry a vacuum flask to dump your coffee in, get as many refills as needed to fill it. Then that $2.50 tall becomes a $2.50 litre...
Sr. Member
Sep 14, 2012
954 posts
1173 upvotes
Toronto
Wow. Going to 5 McDonalds in one day just to swig their coffee?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17360 posts
4470 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: If you want something different that isn't Tim's give Starbucks True North a try. It's marketed as "blonde roast" (light) but their roasting scale is a notch or two above standard so it's more of a medium, and given its name, was blended for Canadian tastes. Remember if you are a Starbucks Rewards member, free refills as long as you don't leave the premises; even though there's no inside seating most will let you do this as long as you finish your drinks in their patio area. That's something you don't get at McD or Tims. Easy hack is to carry a vacuum flask to dump your coffee in, get as many refills as needed to fill it. Then that $2.50 tall becomes a $2.50 litre...
Also, if you're not near a Starbucks, many Loblaws locations now have one.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 18, 2009
1548 posts
498 upvotes
Edmonton
Yes, of course, theres 3 mcdonalds 5 mins from each other.

Had tims today, pretty disgusting. Just tasted like water.

Any one recommend how to make a close resemblance to mcdonalds coffee as possible? I never made home coffee before.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4358 upvotes
XShadowX wrote: Yes, of course, theres 3 mcdonalds 5 mins from each other.
Had tims today, pretty disgusting. Just tasted like water.
Any one recommend how to make a close resemblance to mcdonalds coffee as possible? I never made home coffee before.
Maybe go to Walmart or any supermarket and buy up their oldest stock of McCafe coffee beans... since I doubt the new so-called "sustainable" garbage has made it there yet given how recent the rollout happened at the restaurants.

Then read up on how to use a burr grinder and a French press or pourover rig. You should be able to get something like the "old" McCafe this way.

Whatever you do, don't go with Keurig. Unless you really do like watery lukewarm coffee.
Member
User avatar
Jun 11, 2019
233 posts
215 upvotes
North York, Toronto
XShadowX wrote: Yes, of course, theres 3 mcdonalds 5 mins from each other.

Had tims today, pretty disgusting. Just tasted like water.

Any one recommend how to make a close resemblance to mcdonalds coffee as possible? I never made home coffee before.
Tim's dark roast.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
12195 posts
2795 upvotes
Raggie wrote: I hope this isn't true! Just found this article. I haven't been buying McD's coffee much anymore, but I agree there is a different taste, almost a duller taste.

https://www.insauga.com/mcdonalds-annou ... its-coffee
That article is 1.5 years old. Also it doesn't actually say they changed their suppliers or beans... just that 1.5 years ago the suppliers will be "Rainforest Alliance Certified".

McDonald's Canada uses Mother Parkers as their supplier for coffee. It's been the same supplier for years. As far as I know, it's still their supplier. Mother Parkers is Rainforest Alliance Certified.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19285 posts
7438 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing beats making your own coffee. No point in wasting money on coffee from outside unless you are at work or have no other choice.
Jr. Member
Jul 8, 2019
154 posts
192 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: That article is 1.5 years old. Also it doesn't actually say they changed their suppliers or beans... just that 1.5 years ago the suppliers will be "Rainforest Alliance Certified".
This is the only post that matters on here.

The change and the articles was from 1.5 years ago (July 2019). Nothing has changed in the past week.

That McDonald's US changed their supplier (to Green Mountain) is IRRELEVANT. McDonald's Canada has always used their own suppliers, completely unrelated to what the US does. McDonald's Canada never used Kraft.

OP is just imagining shit.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1769 posts
2048 upvotes
Wow, lot of folks jumped into that rabbit hole. Could be a number of things one of which is that at least the locations that I have visited have been really slow in terms of customers. So the coffee may have been sitting longer than usual. Dunno, still better than Tims if comparing chains.

Top