Personal Finance

has PC Financial MasterCard issued new cards with chips yet?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2010 1:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1998 posts
136 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada

has PC Financial MasterCard issued new cards with chips yet?

Now that we already see PC Financial debit cards equipped with these new chips, I was wondering that when we will see the PC Financial MasterCard be equipped with chips.

If anyone's credit card has expired recently, were you issued a new chip-card or the one that does not have a chip?

I'm not stupid, however - but I want to make a "second opinion", thank you very much.

I've checked PC Financial's website about this for their MasterCard, but to no avail.
49 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2009
1009 posts
65 upvotes
You do know you could have called up PCFM call center and asked them directly right?
Being broke is childish and I'm quite grown
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 14, 2004
9700 posts
762 upvotes
Markham
I emailed them a few months ago about this, as usual they won't tell you when, probably even if they have a date.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
19818 posts
2578 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: ppl like to ask rfd first...that applies with car accidents, etc :lol:
LOL. You now it would not surprise me at all to see some post on Off-Topic or Travel about "I just got in a car accident - what do I do? - Posted from iPhone"
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
47133 posts
13325 upvotes
Markham
Jucius Maximus wrote: Bump.

The card images on the PC MasterCard site now show chipped cards.
nice, going to call in and see if i can get one :D

just called in, pc has chip cards (i requested for one), but the pin function will not work fully (they give u a default pin that u wont be able to change), u still have to sign. They say the pin part will be fully ready by the end of this year...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 4, 2002
2340 posts
26 upvotes
Damn. I guess I'll be using that card a lot less. At least it has paypass though. If I have to remember any more pins I am going to snap.
Sr. Member
Oct 26, 2009
620 posts
24 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: nice, going to call in and see if i can get one :D

just called in, pc has chip cards (i requested for one), but the pin function will not work fully (they give u a default pin that u wont be able to change), u still have to sign. They say the pin part will be fully ready by the end of this year...
Can it make purchases with the default pin?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5784 posts
807 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: yes, but only if the terminal forces u to enter a pin, which is like reallllyyyyy rare, according to the rep.
The question then is will you remember the pin :razz:
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
149 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: yes, but only if the terminal forces u to enter a pin, which is like reallllyyyyy rare, according to the rep.
I don't know if I understand your post or not.

If it's a chip reading machine and your CC has a chip, it will make you insert the card. It will not accept a simple swipe. I was at Canadian Tire the other day and tried to swipe my Visa when going thru the self-checkout. The machine wouldn't proceed until I inserted the chip into the slot. I didn't realize this particular Can.Tire had the chip-reader until that moment. Heh.

And I was at another store recently that wouldn't accept a swipe of my chip-based Visa. I can't remember where it was though, but the cashier was as surprised as I was. She didn't realize that they had just gotten new credit card machines.

These chip readers are more and more common. We're getting then where I work by the end of the month. And the girls in accounting tell me that if your CC is chipped then that's the only way it'll accept them. In other words - no swiping the stripe of chipped cards.
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
47133 posts
13325 upvotes
Markham
Paulfistinyourface wrote: If it's a chip reading machine and your CC has a chip, it will make you insert the card. It will not accept a simple swipe. I was at Canadian Tire the other day and tried to swipe my Visa when going thru the self-checkout. The machine wouldn't proceed until I inserted the chip into the slot. I didn't realize this particular Can.Tire had the chip-reader until that moment. Heh.

These chip readers are more and more common. We're getting then where I work by the end of the month. And the girls in accounting tell me that if your CC is chipped then that's the only way it'll accept them. In other words - no swiping the stripe of chipped cards.
as the rep said, since the pc mc' chip are not fully working, most of the chip machines will let you swipe the pc mc...he could be wrong of cuz, i am just being a messenger here.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 17, 2008
2774 posts
2234 upvotes
Winnipeg
I just got a new card last month without chip... I will hold on to it dearly until they get the pin issue fixed. lol My best guess though is that CUETS ( http://cuets.ca/ ) cards altogether will have chips now and this makes sense as the CU in Manitoba have stated that chip cards were coming in April. As far as I know CUETS still issues PCF Mastercards. Would this mean that MBNA cards will have chips soon too?

Shawguy
Sr. Member
Oct 26, 2009
620 posts
24 upvotes
so you get your own PIN, you are not allowed to choose it.

I thought you meant that everyone got the same standard pin, until they got it to work.
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
47133 posts
13325 upvotes
Markham
muchacho_007 wrote: so you get your own PIN, you are not allowed to choose it.

I thought you meant that everyone got the same standard pin, until they got it to work.
yes they assign u a temp pin that u can't change.

I donno, maybe that could be the case too? :lol: ..okay jokes pcmc is messed up if they do :twisted:
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 15, 2004
967 posts
305 upvotes
I applied for a secondary card and received it a few days ago. It has the chip in it. I don't care about the chip that much since I like paypass as I shop at Loblaws, Tim Horton's, McDonald where I just tap the card. Walmart should install paypass since I contribute a big chuck of money to them every month.
Jr. Member
Jan 11, 2007
127 posts
29 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: as the rep said, since the pc mc' chip are not fully working, most of the chip machines will let you swipe the pc mc...he could be wrong of cuz, i am just being a messenger here.

Actually, more merchant's terminals are not ready for chip card yet. Hence swipe cards instead. If the chip card works in any of the location that means it has been certified and is ready to go.

Top