Shopping Discussion

Has TekSavvy stopped giving POTS-Old fashioned landlines?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2018 8:38 am
Banned
Aug 5, 2018
29 posts
4 upvotes

Has TekSavvy stopped giving POTS-Old fashioned landlines?

I don't need a VOIP phone.

I am looking for a POTS line - the old fashioned phone land line. I am currently with Bell,

I am paying $ 36 ( Taxes included ) for a plain old fashioned POTS telephone landline. There are NO other extras on this line like Long Distance, Call Display, Voice Mail etc. $ 36 is pretty expensive, just for a landline.

I remember TekSavvy used to have the POTS line. But I don't see that anymore on their website. Has TekSavvy stopped giving POTS line now ? Is it just VOIP ( Digital Line ) now ?

Is Bell the only provider for a POTS line in ON, especially GTA ? Any other alternatives for POTS besides Bell in GTA ?

Thanks.
18 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19729 posts
28601 upvotes
Vancouver
The wayback machine shows TekSavvy removed POTS from their website's list of offerings about 3 months ago.

Rogers POTS is available in some areas of the GTA, but it's not cheaper than Bell. If you want a super clear voice line with no lag, there's nothing better than POTS, but you need to pay up for it. POTS legacy infrastructure is expensive to maintain.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3320 posts
2372 upvotes
Is it that expensive to get a basic home phone line? I'm on the BC side and when I signed up with Telus, was paying $10 for the line. After that ran out, loyalty put me on permanent $10 loyalty plan. Guess Bell doesn't do loyalty plans like what they do for their mobility clients...
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19729 posts
28601 upvotes
Vancouver
IEpicDestroyer wrote: Is it that expensive to get a basic home phone line? I'm on the BC side and when I signed up with Telus, was paying $10 for the line. After that ran out, loyalty put me on permanent $10 loyalty plan. Guess Bell doesn't do loyalty plans like what they do for their mobility clients...
I had Telus POTS lines from 1995 (when it was still BC Tel) to about 2014 and never, ever had prices that low. I remember paying about $22/month in the 1990s.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9925 posts
7088 upvotes
Mississauga
Teksavvy stopped offering POTS a long time ago, although this thread makes it seem they brought it back then dropped it again:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r319493 ... o-Teksavvy

I'm still a Bell homephone customer. I've experienced internet outages due to Bell's crappy modem but the POTS just kept working.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3320 posts
2372 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I had Telus POTS lines from 1995 (when it was still BC Tel) to about 2014 and never, ever had prices that low. I remember paying about $22/month in the 1990s.
It is $30 on regular pricing but it's $10 if you ask nicely at loyalty. POTS lines are expensive if it's at regular pricing, a relative of mine complained that I didn't call loyalty earlier to get their bill lowered, they only use home phone from Telus. I just thought no one cared about having a physical phone line running to their place which is why it's so cheap now...
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19729 posts
28601 upvotes
Vancouver
IEpicDestroyer wrote: I just thought no one cared about having a physical phone line running to their place which is why it's so cheap now...
We're so used to VoIP and cell service that we forget just how good POTS was. Nothing beats it if you want a reliable, crystal clear line with no lag, especially if the person on the other end is also on POTS. I'm happy with my cheap VoIP home phone now, but if I had a home business and spent a lot of time on the phone with clients, I would absolutely get a POTS line. And it's not cheap now, it's still expensive, because of all of that legacy infrastructure that still has to be maintained.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3320 posts
2372 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: We're so used to VoIP and cell service that we forget just how good POTS was. Nothing beats it if you want a reliable, crystal clear line with no lag, especially if the person on the other end is also on POTS. I'm happy with my cheap VoIP home phone now, but if I had a home business and spent a lot of time on the phone with clients, I would absolutely get a POTS line. And it's not cheap now, it's still expensive, because of all of that legacy infrastructure that still has to be maintained.
$10/mo isn't that bad for a copper line running into the house. It's reasonable for crystal clear reliable calls. Only time I had issue with it that last a noticeable amount of time is when some guy accidentally cut our line in the box...
Banned
Aug 5, 2018
29 posts
4 upvotes
Is ROGERS home phone a true POTS line ? Or is it just a VOIP over their Cable line ?

I mean if the Power/ hydro goes off or if the Rogers Cable internet is down, will the ROGERS home phone still work?

The same way a BELL POTS line works, when the power goes off?
Banned
Aug 5, 2018
29 posts
4 upvotes
I know Bell offers discounts or retentions if you have a bunch of other products with them like TV, Internet, Wireless etc.

But if you just have 1 product with them- the POTS line, has anyone managed to get any retention discounts with them?

I tried with their regular CSR, it was a NO go. No discount whatsoever. Yet to try their retentions though. I am afraid they won't care and just simply cancel my POTS line, if I threaten to cancel to get a discount, and I will lose my POTS number, which I have had for ages!
Banned
Aug 5, 2018
29 posts
4 upvotes
For reliable 911 and also for some home alarm systems, I think regular old fashioned POTS land line is better than VOIP line.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
I don't know if Teksavvy stopped offering POTS lines but I have one from them in Montreal. I believe they won't convert Bell lines to Teksavvy which means most-if-not-all of Canada.
Phils
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
AmolMuz wrote: I am looking for a POTS line - the old fashioned phone land line. I am currently with Bell,

I am paying $ 36 ( Taxes included ) for a plain old fashioned POTS telephone landline. There are NO other extras on this line like Long Distance, Call Display, Voice Mail etc. $ 36 is pretty expensive, just for a landline.

I remember TekSavvy used to have the POTS line. But I don't see that anymore on their website. Has TekSavvy stopped giving POTS line now ? Is it just VOIP ( Digital Line ) now ?
Instead of speculating or asking here, pick up a phone and call TekSavvy. Yes, they've been restricted in offering POTS to existing Bhell customers in some areas. But according to posts in places like DSLReports, that has been relaxed. They may be able to switch you, especially if you also have/get DSL from them. Call them and ask what they can do for you.

That said,
1. While basic POTS from TekSavvy is ~$25/month, that doesn't include LD, CD, VM, etc. By the time you include those the price differential may not be very great.
2. Also call Bhell. Tell them you're thinking of switching to another carrier's VoIP because it's so much cheaper than Bhell's POTS. Ask them what they can do for you. They've been losing POTS customers in droves so their retentions people may be able to make you an offer you can't refuse.
veni, vidi, Visa
Banned
Aug 5, 2018
29 posts
4 upvotes
bylo wrote: Instead of speculating or asking here, pick up a phone and call TekSavvy. Yes, they've been restricted in offering POTS to existing Bhell customers in some areas. But according to posts in places like DSLReports, that has been relaxed. They may be able to switch you, especially if you also have/get DSL from them. Call them and ask what they can do for you.

That said,
1. While basic POTS from TekSavvy is ~$25/month, that doesn't include LD, CD, VM, etc. By the time you include those the price differential may not be very great.
2. Also call Bhell. Tell them you're thinking of switching to another carrier's VoIP because it's so much cheaper than Bhell's POTS. Ask them what they can do for you. They've been losing POTS customers in droves so their retentions people may be able to make you an offer you can't refuse.
1. Why not ask here? That's what this forum is for. I want to know the experience of other RFD'ers with TekSavvy & their POTS.

2. My Bell line doesn't include that either, I clearly mentioned that in my post. It will be a $ 10 differential in the pricing, which is almost 1/3 of my bill.

I am quite aware of TekSavvy prices. I just wanted to know if they had completely stopped POTS or not. TekSavyy Call Display is only $ 3/month , while Bell is $ 9/month. I am interested in the CD also, so in addition to saving $ 10/month on the basic line, I will also save $ 6/month on CD if I go for it.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
AmolMuz wrote: 1. Why not ask here? That's what this forum is for. I want to know the experience of other RFD'ers with TekSavvy & their POTS.
Because:
(a) It depends on a variety of factors including your location, whether you currently have DSL with TekSavvy, Bhell's mood that day/week/month/year, etc.
(b) I managed to get my POTS switched from Bhell to TekSavvy at a time when officially they claimed they couldn't do it. I had to call in and ask. They escalated it internally and then said yes.

Yes, this forum can provide answers to many issues. I wasn't trying to be dismissive. But in this case it's very much YMMV. The only way to get an authoritative answer is to contact TekSavvy and ask.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
I switches from a Bell POTS line with CD, voicemail, limited LD etc. to a wireless home phone which not only gives me all the Bell POTS line gave me but included unlimited LD for Canada and the US plus 200 minutes to Europe for about 1/3 Bell's monthly fee.
Kept my land line number, set up was dead simple, had it for several years with no outages.
Although the connection is wireless using the normal cell towers, the connection is as reliable and clear as the copper land line since both ends of the wireless connection are stationary.
And if I ever move, I just pick up my little wireless module in the house and take it to the new house - no disconnection or connection exercise - phone number will stay the same.
Banned
Aug 27, 2017
142 posts
60 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: The wayback machine shows TekSavvy removed POTS from their website's list of offerings about 3 months ago.

Rogers POTS is available in some areas of the GTA, but it's not cheaper than Bell. If you want a super clear voice line with no lag, there's nothing better than POTS, but you need to pay up for it. POTS legacy infrastructure is expensive to maintain.
I've done zero testing but rogers "pots" (cable ata) sounds the same to me. Just hate that the CPE is 12 years old!
Banned
Aug 27, 2017
142 posts
60 upvotes
AmolMuz wrote: Is ROGERS home phone a true POTS line ? Or is it just a VOIP over their Cable line ?

I mean if the Power/ hydro goes off or if the Rogers Cable internet is down, will the ROGERS home phone still work?

The same way a BELL POTS line works, when the power goes off?
It's voip on a dedicated channel. In my area everything stays up though (tv/web too)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
I would think if the internet went down, so would the phone. There is a battery backup for the unit so a reasonable power failure should be OK.
Phils