Health & Wellness

Has your alcohol drinking habit changed, recently?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2020 9:36 am

Poll: My alcohol drinking habit:

• Total votes: 31. You have voted on this poll.
Is less than before - fewer than 1-2 drinks per week.

35%
Is the same as before - 3-7 drinks per week.

19%
Is a little more than before - 8-14 drinks per week.

23%
I am going nuclear - 15+ drinks per week.

23%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1364 upvotes

Has your alcohol drinking habit changed, recently?

Since a good portion of the population has no choice but to stay at home, I am curious to know if this has affected people's alcohol drinking habits. For the poll, a drink is the standard drink:

Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9290 posts
10837 upvotes
Vancouver
No change to my drinking habits since COVID, other than buying more than usual. Better to make fewer trips to the liquor store than more trips.
I'm a weekend drinker only. While on vacation I'll have a beer or two every day, but will go back to being a weekender when vacation is over. I'm in my mid 40s and can count on my fingers the number of times I've been drink in my life. Booze is expensive and there is alcoholism in my family, so I've always taken it easy.

PS your poll is leaving out people who might be drinking less, more, or the same as before, but with vastly different numbers for their weekly average. Like the guy who might be drinking the same as before, which is already 15 drinks per week.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4980 posts
2188 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Only because my wife started a low-carb diet after new year. I've noticed it too. I'm down oer 2 Kg though I'm still eating carbs and sugars.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6170 posts
568 upvotes
BC
I'm drinking less right now but its not because of covid19. Normally I'm a weekend drinker only but had surgery in January and did not drink for about 6 weeks, then I got sick end of Feb for about 3 weeks, on antibiotics... the last couple of weekends I've had no more than a glass of wine with dinner. I would probably drink more if my favourite places to go were open.

And I'm still working 5 days a week so nothing has changed except I'm doing all of my paperwork at home.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6170 posts
568 upvotes
BC
Kiraly wrote: I'm a weekend drinker only. While on vacation I'll have a beer or two every day, but will go back to being a weekender when vacation is over.
That is me exactly! Weekends only, and daily on vacation, in moderation for both.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9518 posts
4112 upvotes
Toronto
staying home.. drinking my case of Toro Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11442 posts
2020 upvotes
Toronto
Earlier on, I was drinking the same, maybe urge was a bit more. The transition was rough. But staying home and not exercising as much, maybe eating more, found myself feeling sluggish the next day.

So I haven't drank as much, and for the first time in a very very long-time, commit to not drinking this weekend. Actually what makes it worse is I find my eating habits deteriorate while I'm drinking or the next day.

Another motivation is improving health and immune system to be in top shape, just in case.
Apr 3, 2020
4 posts
2 upvotes
Malvern
I haven't touched liquor since the cannabis prohibition in Canada ended...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8614 posts
3053 upvotes
Well, I typically have a draught beer every day, so with no bars open, that certainly has changed. I am having beers at home and trying to replicate the experience. Glasses in freezer, rinse before pour etc, but really, I just miss being about to go out for a break, and have a pint a draught.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1364 upvotes
Thanks for your input, everyone.

I find that boredom is a real danger for overdrinking especially if you can't hang out with your friends, in person. Not a big fan of talking with people on-line...
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9290 posts
10837 upvotes
Vancouver
AnitaH94539 wrote: I haven't touched liquor since the cannabis prohibition in Canada ended...
That is surprising to me. I didn’t think that legalization would result in any more pot users; I figured that anyone who used or wanted to use pot was already doing it, whether legal or not.