Parenting & Family

Has Your Stroller Ever Been An Issue For A Restaurant?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2018 7:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24589 posts
12650 upvotes
Toronto

Has Your Stroller Ever Been An Issue For A Restaurant?

Just curious, if bringing a stroller has ever caused you trouble in a restaurant?

Why?

For Father's Day (of all days) we made a reservation days in advance for 5 people and in the notes, we said FYI, we are bringing a stroller.

The day of, the restaurant calls us and says they will not be able to honour the reservation. They explain they do not have a 6-person table.

Our baby does not sit in a high chair, nor are they eating a meal, they are simply staying in the stroller

Long argument on the phone, store manager has to get involved, still giving excuses as to why.

Crazy right?

This story has a 'happy' ending however.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
DaVibe wrote:
..which is ?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24589 posts
12650 upvotes
Toronto
neverhaveiever wrote: ..which is ?
We told them that 6 people are not sitting and eating, it's 5 and that people show up with strollers all the time (especially on Fathers Day) and don't tell the restaurant at all - just here I am, hi! We were trying to do THEM the courtesy by letting them know.
In my mind, I began to think well what if someone is using a walker or a wheel-chair, you'll refuse them too? So if we showed up the day-of, you'd refuse us? Or would you just go, "Okay, just a minute" and figure it out.

Anyways my family member (who made the reservation) basically told the manager we are coming, deal with it - and they did.

I'm not sure what they were imagining but it was completely the wrong response and an argument over nothing. The restaurant was empty (lol), the stroller was beside us and we were in a corner of the restaurant.

We just didn't want to block a row / just wanted to let them know we were wheeling a stroller and instead got a huge argument out of it!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
DaVibe wrote: We told them that 6 people are not sitting and eating, it's 5 and that people show up with strollers all the time (especially on Fathers Day) and don't tell the restaurant at all - just here I am, hi! We were trying to do THEM the courtesy by letting them know.
In my mind, I began to think well what if someone is using a walker or a wheel-chair, you'll refuse them too? So if we showed up the day-of, you'd refuse us? Or would you just go, "Okay, just a minute" and figure it out.

Anyways my family member (who made the reservation) basically told the manager we are coming, deal with it - and they did.

I'm not sure what they were imagining but it was completely the wrong response and an argument over nothing. The restaurant was empty (lol), the stroller was beside us and we were in a corner of the restaurant.

We just didn't want to block a row / just wanted to let them know we were wheeling a stroller and instead got a huge argument out of it!
honestly, I would have gone elsewhere...
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2030 posts
1180 upvotes
Bringing a stroller has never been an issue whenever my wife go out with our little ones.

We're usually pretty good when it comes to these things like:
- we've been there before so we know the layout
- try to look things up beforehands or go off peak hrs
- or just bring out little ones ourselves since they'll be in a high chair *if the have them*

There was one time where family went to a Thai restaurant spontaneously we didn't know how cramp it was & also they didn't carry a high chair as well. They accommodate us, but we were also prepared to leave & go elsewhere if they didn't.

Like @neverhaveiever said I would have gone to different restaurants, IMO they don't deserve your patronage.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25154 posts
2330 upvotes
Markham, ON
yes...many restaurants...

just bring in carry-on. Leave the stroller somewhere else.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38209 posts
24390 upvotes
Center of Universe
DaVibe wrote: Just curious, if bringing a stroller has ever caused you trouble in a restaurant?

Why?

For Father's Day (of all days) we made a reservation days in advance for 5 people and in the notes, we said FYI, we are bringing a stroller.

The day of, the restaurant calls us and says they will not be able to honour the reservation. They explain they do not have a 6-person table.

Our baby does not sit in a high chair, nor are they eating a meal, they are simply staying in the stroller

Long argument on the phone, store manager has to get involved, still giving excuses as to why.

Crazy right?

Which inconsiderate restaurant is this?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24589 posts
12650 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote: yes...many restaurants...

just bring in carry-on. Leave the stroller somewhere else.
Would have gladly folded it up or just used the carrier, but that wasn't an option for this place, as in, they weren't accepting that either
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9438 posts
6883 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: Which inconsiderate restaurant is this?
why is that inconsiderate? Many smaller restaurants consider strollers a hazard for their staff to walk around or don't permit infant children at all as they can be a disturbance for other diners.
DaVibe wrote: Would have gladly folded it up or just used the carrier, but that wasn't an option for this place, as in, they weren't accepting that either
What was the place?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38209 posts
24390 upvotes
Center of Universe
ReeGee wrote: why is that inconsiderate? Many smaller restaurants consider strollers a hazard for their staff to walk around or don't permit infant children at all as they can be a disturbance for other diners.

What was the place?
RSVP was made and they had time to make the necessary accommodations!

"For Father's Day (of all days) we made a reservation days in advance for 5 people and in the notes, we said FYI, we are bringing a stroller.
The day of, the restaurant calls us and says they will not be able to honor the reservation. They explain they do not have a 6-person table."
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1321 posts
627 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
We never really brought strollers into restaurants when my kids were babies but I saw a lot of people who did and there were no issues at all. Also sometimes would see the strollers by the entrance and the kids were in highchairs.

My kids were in the car seat (the one you carry) and we put it on a chair in the restaurant. When they outgrew the car seat and they could sit, we used to bring our own booster seats.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9438 posts
6883 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: RSVP was made and they had time to make the necessary accommodations!

"For Father's Day (of all days) we made a reservation days in advance for 5 people and in the notes, we said FYI, we are bringing a stroller.
The day of, the restaurant calls us and says they will not be able to honor the reservation. They explain they do not have a 6-person table."
True. most likely what happened is OP submitted the reservation online which is automatically accepted and no one looks at the note until the day of. Don't think they were being intentionally inconsiderate as much as the system not being ideal for the situation. I imagine if OP did the reservation by phone they would've been up front about it then.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24589 posts
12650 upvotes
Toronto
Well, this wasn't a Mom and Pop shop, this was Baton Rouge on Yonge St. near Sheppard in North York.

Thing is, like I said, I highly doubt you'd turn a person away for this. You're in the restaurant business, you aim to please, there's nothing friendly about telling us the day-of not to come. I'm sure we weren't the first family to dine there (considering they have a kids menu).
Aug 31, 2014
365 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I never liked that Baton Rouge location! Their food is not on par with other locations.

On the other hand, isn't that location huge?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38209 posts
24390 upvotes
Center of Universe
DaVibe wrote: Well, this wasn't a Mom and Pop shop, this was Baton Rouge on Yonge St. near Sheppard in North York.

Thing is, like I said, I highly doubt you'd turn a person away for this. You're in the restaurant business, you aim to please, there's nothing friendly about telling us the day-of not to come. I'm sure we weren't the first family to dine there (considering they have a kids menu).
File a complaint!
I've seen strollers at all of the Baton Rouge locations here in Ottawa, one time or another!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24589 posts
12650 upvotes
Toronto
Tsanger wrote: I never liked that Baton Rouge location! Their food is not on par with other locations.

On the other hand, isn't that location huge?
It was quite a large location with many pockets of space, which is where we ended up.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2014
1009 posts
1213 upvotes
Southern Ontario
More often than not we just carry in the car seat, instead of the whole stroller. It’s easier to slide the car seat into a booth
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24589 posts
12650 upvotes
Toronto
lefroset wrote: More often than not we just carry in the car seat, instead of the whole stroller. It’s easier to slide the car seat into a booth
Would have gladly, but that wasn't suggested either. It was more like "you have 6 people, you booked for 5 and we dont have space"

I would have kept the stroller in the car / at the door, whatever they suggested. A car seat is fine.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7156 posts
4438 upvotes
Between Countries
We've never had a problem with bringing a stroller to a restaurant. And that's with a bulky baby stroller, not a toddler's umbrella stroller. But we've always been mindful of where we were going and carefully considered whether the place was suitable for babies or not.

I'd say Baton Rogue (and I've been to the one at Yonge and Sheppard) is appropriate, though at the upper limit of what I would take a baby to.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25154 posts
2330 upvotes
Markham, ON
wth...Baton Rouge at that location is huge...they should not have a problem with a stroller...

i only have this problem in the past with very tight laneways where the servers would have been impacted.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)