Home & Garden

Have to go insulation diving: What to wear?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2021 5:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6814 posts
3104 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

Have to go insulation diving: What to wear?

Have to go insulation diving to replace a LED puck light and driver in the attic. What to wear so as not to track FG all over? Have Goggles, gloves, mask, what else for a coverall?
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
11 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17228 posts
19118 upvotes
Oakville
Tyvek suit and some ice packs or a cold wet shirt.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17950 posts
10703 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If I remember correctly, you have blown fibreglass insulation so I would actually invest in a 'better' than average pair of googles as when you are diving into the insulation, bits of glass fibre might be flying into the air and may get into an average pair of safety googles with normal vents.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6814 posts
3104 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
craftsman wrote: If I remember correctly, you have blown fibreglass insulation so I would actually invest in a 'better' than average pair of googles as when you are diving into the insulation, bits of glass fibre might be flying into the air and may get into an average pair of safety googles with normal vents.
Indeed. Think I do have them and hopefully my specs won't fog up so have t hope for a warmer (but not too warm) and drier day.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6814 posts
3104 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
engineered wrote: Tyvek suit and some ice packs or a cold wet shirt.
Where does one get a Tyvek suit from? Hoping it will be a 5 minute job but famous last words.....
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7039 posts
3269 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Tread softly and on wood, not on drywall.

Take broom with you to move aside FG gently.

Piece of light plywood might help if need to kneel to repair.

Try to get up there on a cooler day.

Bring water with you.

Bring various tapes as never know what has to be sealed after repair.

A hard hat to protect from roofing shingles.

Note I just wore mask [and even that stopped after a while], goggles and old clothes when spent about 6 hours air sealing in attic with FG and then week after that another 2 hours to blow in cellulose fiber.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1933 posts
368 upvotes
'sauga
Tyvek suits are great as the insulation doesn't tend to stick to them as it does to other types of material.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4694 posts
1201 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It's instances like these that I'm tempted to put drop ceilings on the second floor to avoid dealing with insulation diving just to replace a light. Or even put osb on top of the attic joists to prevent insulation to be on top of the ceiling so that cutting drywall from below won't result in that stuff falling through.

I second the hard hat, as I've bonked a few overhead studs and the random roof nail.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9097 posts
10457 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
If you don’t have a hard hat...a bike helmet or hockey helmet works also. Might look sorta dumb but no cares you are in the attic.

I’ve had the issues with roofing nails in the head. Not fun.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17950 posts
10703 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
thriftshopper wrote: Indeed. Think I do have them and hopefully my specs won't fog up so have t hope for a warmer (but not too warm) and drier day.
Plan on the fact that your specs will probably fog up. You try out some of the many 'fixes' for fogging to see if any work for you before you go up there!