Shopping Discussion

Have questions about diamonds and engagement rings, ASK ME ANYTHING...

Poll: What is most important in your ONLINE diamond shopping experience?

• Total votes: 594. You have voted on this poll.
Price

57%
Selection

7%
26%
Information

5%
Addons (warranties, trade up policies, free cleanings)

1%
Location (Canada, U.S.)

1%
Customer Service, purchase assistance

4%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1232 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
zergbones wrote: Hello thediamondshopper,

I have been looking at engagement rings and stumbled across the bluenile website from this thread. What are your thoughts on the following diamond. Many thanks.
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD09544441
Hi,

The diamond you linked to shows a couple things you want to avoid. First and foremost from the video you can see that the inclusions that causes the diamond to be an SI2 is a large feather in the center of the diamond attached to a black crystal. From my experience, though I cant say for sure, I dont think this diamond would be eye clean meaning you will be able to see the inclusion without magnification from about 8" or so away. So depending if the diamond being eye clean is a criteria for you this may not be the right one.

In terms of cut, generally speaking GIA Very Good cut means the diamond is not so well cut, the terminology is confusing as Very Good seems to mean it is very good in the context of how poorly it can possibly be cut. In this case the depth is very deep, so even though it is a .96ct the face up size is more like a .9ct (6.2mm). When looking at the girdle diameter there is quite a bit of variation for a diamond this size, it varies from 6.2-6.28mm which can be cause for concern. Lastly the crown angle is very steep (36.5) which distorts how the light come into the diamond and will cause light leakage. Also very steep crowns tend to cause the diamond to show a bit more color which combined with high depth also adding to the perception of color this diamond may show more color than other G's.

To put how these factors above influence how the diamond acutally looks, I attached an ASET image below with this diamond compared to an ideal cut example. You can see from the table area being white and green that it has almost no light return and as well there appears to be a band of green stretching to the edges across the center which are areas that would look more dull than the rest of the diamond.
Images
  • rfd post 1501.jpg
Mar 27, 2012
19 posts
18 upvotes
Calgary
in terms of brilliance, fire and scintillation - are there only certain lighting conditions that will create the effect? or should i expect to see brilliance and fire in all lighting conditions assuming a well cut diamond.

ie. does fire only occur under spotlights condition and not in office setting with fluorescent lighting etc.

thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1232 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
AllanR wrote: Hello thediamondshopper,

i've been looking at a few diamonds on blue nile in the ~.9 size. wondering if you'd recommend any of these three diamonds?
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD08201517
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD09635835
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD08998533

The diamond will be set in a yellow gold ring.

Thanks for your help!
With I and J color it is really hard to suggest a diamond without seeing it in person or working closely with the actually cutter/supplier to determine how good the color is. Within I-J ranges there can be significant differences from one diamond to the next (attached is the range of I color diamonds showing alot of difference from good to poor) so my advice is to work with a company that will be able to assist you in choosing a diamond on the good end of the range.

In terms of cut and proportions the first diamond you linked to is a good cut for lower color grades. It wouldnt quite qualify as ideal or hearts and arrows but it is cut shallow with a shallow crown which optimizes brilliance and can make the diamond look less yellow. The face up size is about average for a .9ct at ~6.2mm.
The second diamond much like the first is cut to optimize brilliance and is also quite shallow so it will show larger. There is a black inclusion right in the center but that is a matter of preference.
The last diamond is also well cut, though you may want to inquire whether there is a hazy appearance from the main inclusions being a cloud, though it should be ok.

IMO they are all well cut diamonds, I cant confidently recommend one over the other without seeing the color, you should inquire if there is a strong tinge to any of them or any brown undertone as this is something you may not see in a video.
Images
  • Color Range I small trade mark.jpg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1232 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
vistokid wrote: I'm looking at purchasing this ring and wanted to get your opinion please.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-jewelry-watch/e ... 1317928456

I've been told never to pay above half the appraised value for a ring and this one seems to be higher than that. Any ideas on what I should offer? Thank you!
With appraisal values it really all depends on the appraiser as they all tend to appraise at different values. The ring for sure isnt worth $4000. The center stone isnt graded by a major lab and is graded in a range for color "H-I" which is a bad sign. Assuming the grading is accurate you could likely have the same ring made new for about the price they are asking with a GIA graded center diamond. On my end it is impossible to put a value on a ring that is not lab graded as it is impossible to know what the actual specs are. And even then it is hard to know where on the range they sit for color and clarity.
That being said I definitely wouldnt pay $2600 being a RFDer and all, considering its a resale ring and you loose any type of warranty with the seller and are buying a used ring you should be expecting a discount over what it would cost to make retail.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1232 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
nd_tse wrote: in terms of brilliance, fire and scintillation - are there only certain lighting conditions that will create the effect? or should i expect to see brilliance and fire in all lighting conditions assuming a well cut diamond.

ie. does fire only occur under spotlights condition and not in office setting with fluorescent lighting etc.

thanks.
Great question.

Yes in most instances fire will only show when there is some kind of point source lighting, where as brilliance shows the most under diffused lighting. Most lighting conditions are a combination of both so you would be able to see all aspects. A well cut diamond is optimized to show all three in the respective lighting environments.
Dec 11, 2017
1 posts
Hey thediamondshopper,

Was going to buy diamond studs for my wife and read on here that large retail stores are not the answer as one just tried to sell me an IMP2 clarity. I'm no expert but I had never heard of it and found this forum searching IMP 2. Where do you recommend that I look?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1232 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
ProductGuy wrote: What’s your general opinion on engagement diamond rings from the Bay or Costco? Are they a good deal and quality or not?
Hi,

Generally I find that buying jewelry from department stores tends to be of poorer value than other alternatives. A key factor with how jewelry is sold is overhead which has to be passed on some where so department stores tend to fall short price wise. I replied with some info on costco jewelry in post 1468, generally for engagement rings they offer better value than some other B & M retailers. Costco use to be a better value when they sold larger diamonds that were graded by GIA, then they went to IGI and now in house grading which IMO is not the best value for the consumer.

If a quick and effortless purchase is paramount and your ok with ungraded diamonds then I would say that costco is a better alternative than department and mall stores.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1232 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
keepingherhappy wrote: Hey thediamondshopper,

Was going to buy diamond studs for my wife and read on here that large retail stores are not the answer as one just tried to sell me an IMP2 clarity. I'm no expert but I had never heard of it and found this forum searching IMP 2. Where do you recommend that I look?
Hi,

Yes buying from retail/mall stores can really be a mixed bag. I work with both good and bad retailers and unfortunately there are sometimes more on the poorer end value wise than on the good end. They cater to a specific audience that favors convenience and immediate deliver over purchase value. Many jewelry consumers are not informed so this is a huge segment of the market.

Unfortunately to keep this thread info only I would rather not make specific recommendations on where is best to shop as my opinion might be seen as biased. Also this decision really depends on what you are looking for in terms of service as there is a broad spectrum from retail stores to costco to niche jewelry shops to wholesalers. All offering something different in terms of the mix of price vs services.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1232 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
ProductGuy wrote: Thanks, I ended up getting one from the Bay as they had 70% off sale. I got the below for $1600 taxes in. What do you think?

http://m.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... -24?&pdp=1
Its really tough to comment on value for an item like this as the diamond is not graded by a major grading lab. They state that the color is H-I an Clarity I1-I2. Usually with diamonds not graded by GIA or AGS you can assume that it is on the lower end of this range if not even lower. So lets assume I I2, if this is what it wold have been graded by a major lab it is not such a great deal as you could have found similar GIA graded diamonds in that setting for $1200 or potentially less. If on the high end say H I1then its not a bad deal maybe something you could have found for $1400 or so GIA graded. I would have it evaluated by an appraiser to see what you got. Big sales on jewelry usually never work out in favor of the consumer as the price is artificially inflated and then discounted. Diamonds and gold have fixed prices in the market and the only price difference a consumer can find is where in the chain from mine to store they are able to buy the ring and the margin of the seller.
Jan 14, 2011
80 posts
13 upvotes
Hi Thediamondshopper,

I'm hopping to get your opinion on a ring I bought (before reading this thread).

The ring was on clearance at Costco.ca for 12500$ so I thought I'd take a chance on it. I do still have a couple of months to return it.

Specifically I'm worried about the cut and color. HCA rates it as a 3.6 so that is concerning to me. Also the color is I, I have no way of knowing whether it is closer to a H or a J. Any pointers in that department would be much appreciated.

The ring is a 1.53 diamond solitaire in a platinum setting.
GIA # 2171630158
https://www.gia.edu/sites/Satellite?rep ... 25&qr=null

Basically I'm wondering what you think of this diamond and if it was worth the price I paid?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Dec 19, 2017
2 posts
Hi thediamondshopper,

Thanks for your knowledge and input throughout this thread. I have learned a lot going through the thread.
I'm considering between these 2 diamonds and I would like to focus on a great cut that can provide a sparkle.

I would like to get your opinion on the proportions on these 2 GIA diamonds 5276211453 and 5181765229.

Thanks for your advice!