Shopping Discussion

Have questions about diamonds and engagement rings, ASK ME ANYTHING...

Poll: What is most important in your ONLINE diamond shopping experience?

  • Total votes: 587. You have voted on this poll.
Price
 
333
57%
Selection
 
42
7%
Reputation
 
153
26%
Information
 
29
5%
Addons (warranties, trade up policies, free cleanings)
 
6
1%
Location (Canada, U.S.)
 
4
1%
Customer Service, purchase assistance
 
20
3%
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1215 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
stratux wrote: Thoughts on this on platinum or rose gold

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/ro ... =rarecarat
It took me too long to answer and it seems like it is gone now. With rarecarat in general I find that they are really lax on calling diamonds ideal. Basically they will call every GIA excellent diamond ideal when that is definitely not the case.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1215 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
Jenson1989 wrote: Hi DiamondShopper,

Thank you for all the advice that you've given and the time you've taken to help everyone.
I think I've gotten to the point where I'm looking at the price range for around 4~6k for a cushion cut diamond.

As you had indicated before, the cut is a huge difference on the shine and the color has a tremendous impact on how it will shimmer as well.

I'm wondering if you have any comments about this diamond: https://www.bluenile.com/ca/build-your- ... LD14033230
BlueNile provides a "similar" diamond, and this one is almost 2,000 dollars more, but the measurement is much smaller. https://www.bluenile.com/ca/build-your- ... lternative

Is there any reason why this would be the case?

Thank you so much!
Your very welcome!

You are definitely right, cushion cuts can be the hardest diamonds to shop for. Earlier in the thread I did a long post on the different types (modified brilliant, hybrid, brilliant and hearts and arrows) in order of how well they are cut.
The diamond you linked to is what is called a hybrid cut, because some of the pavilion facets go to the edge of the diamond. This style of cutting is a good balance of price and cut quality. Cushion brilliants have the same faceting pattern on the bottom
as round diamonds and are usually larger facing for the same weight and show brighter. For the price though the diamond looks pretty good, Im not sure if there are any issues, you would have to clarify this with Blue Nile.

The second diamond is not nearly as well cut it is a modified brilliant where none of the pavilion facets go to the edge of the diamond. These cuts are usually very deep with alot of wasted weight so they look small for the carat size.
As well they tend to have lots of light leakage. On the price, the GIA report is from a long time ago so it is likely the supplier paid too much for the rough and is taking a gamble pricing it high hoping to recover their money.
Definitely from what I can see I dont see anything to justify the higher price, it seems worse in very respect.
Newbie
Jul 29, 2020
1 posts
Hi there!

Got a quote from Spence, but found that there's a lot to save online!

Requirements:

Lab-grown
1.5ish carat
Ideal/Excellent (Top Tier) Cut


Found these two on Brilliant Earth, but would like an opinion based on the expertise I see in this thread! Thank you!

https://www.brilliantearth.com/rings/cy ... id=1151392

Carat Weight:
1.56

Shape:
Round

Cut:
Super Ideal

Color:
H

Clarity:
SI1

Measurements:
7.46mm x 7.43mm x 4.60mm

Table:
56.0%

Depth:
61.8%

Symmetry:
Excellent

Polish:
Excellent

Girdle:
Medium - Slightly Thick

Culet:
None

Fluorescence:
None


https://www.brilliantearth.com/rings/cy ... id=1151392

Carat Weight:
1.51

Shape:
Round

Cut:
Super Ideal

Color:
I

Clarity:
VS2

Measurements:
7.32mm x 7.28mm x 4.55mm

Table:
58.0%

Depth:
62.4%

Symmetry:
Excellent

Polish:
Excellent

Girdle:
Medium - Sl.Tk

Culet:
None

Fluorescence:
None

I've also read that GCAL is generally more accurate than IGI for lab grown, so I've only been looking at GCAL certified diamonds as GIA doesn't do them yet.

Thank you!
Member
User avatar
Dec 24, 2002
347 posts
3 upvotes
Let me start by saying thanks for all your incredible feedback and advice.

I'm looking to buy a ring from BN and saw this one and wondered what you thought of it. I thought it was good from a pricing point of view and wanted your opinion when you have time. GIA 1339054222

Any advice would be appreciated.

Shape
Round
Cut
Ideal
Info
Colour
G
Info
Clarity
SI1
Info
Carat Weight
1.58
Fluorescence
Faint
Info
Length/Width Ratio
1.01
Info
Depth %
62.9%
Info
Table %
57.0%
Info
Polish
Excellent
Info
Symmetry
Excellent
Info
Girdle
Slightly Thick
Info
Culet
None
Info
Measurements
7.43 x 7.38 x 4.66 mm
Sr. Member
Jul 4, 2017
526 posts
109 upvotes
Hi folks, does anyone have experience purchasing from Ada? I'm leaning toward going with them because they actually look at the products they sell, compared to some of the online options. Wondering what this community thinks of them?

Also would it matter if I shipped the diamond as a loose stone vs set in a ring in terms of duties? I live in BC if that matters. Also anything to consider in terms of warranty, future repair, etc.? I figure I will be forgoing all of that if I got a local jeweler to set a ring that they didn't source
Newbie
Mar 9, 2011
16 posts
2 upvotes
Surrey
Hi @thediamondshopper & @thediamondshoppercanada I found this diamond and ring. Wondering what your opinion is about the diamond.
Have to propose to the girl in 45 days and with covid its hard to go shopping since I am here on west coast and she is in toronto.

This is pretty much my budget. If anyone else can chime in as well that will be awesome. Too nervous about this whole process

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/build-your- ... LD13549716
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/build-your- ... gold_71040
Newbie
Jun 7, 2017
27 posts
10 upvotes
@thediamondshopper I've seen some places that advertise CVD diamonds that are shipped from places like China for cheaper than I can find on US/Canada sites. If they have an IGI report for the diamond, is there anything that I should be concern with (eg. quality, workmakship etc.) Or would the IGI report convert it all.

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1215 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
Hi,

I wouldnt say that GCAL is any more accurate than IGI, I would consider them relatively the same. Rather each individual stone can be graded more or less accurately. By GIA standards some times they can be off a grade or two.
You would likely want to have the party you are buying from verify how accurately they are graded by GIA standards. In this case both seem to be accurate for clarity. For color it is hard to say as the videos dont show true color.
Both diamonds appear to show a bit of a brown tinge. The first one is better cut but the color seems more off, could just be the video. Though both seem to show some brown which is worse than a yellow undertone. They get the same grade but a
brown tinge looks much stronger, this usually commands a price discount. The second diamond is only 7.3mm for a 1.5ct diamond that is a bit lower than is average suggesting that the cut is just ok and there is weight padded in areas.

If it turns out that there isnt a brown tinge and color is reasonably accurate by GIA standards the pricing isnt band a touch on the high side but BE tends to charge a premium for "ethical diamonds".

Vitreous wrote: Hi there!

Got a quote from Spence, but found that there's a lot to save online!

Requirements:

Lab-grown
1.5ish carat
Ideal/Excellent (Top Tier) Cut


Found these two on Brilliant Earth, but would like an opinion based on the expertise I see in this thread! Thank you!

https://www.brilliantearth.com/rings/cy ... id=1151392

Carat Weight:
1.56

Shape:
Round

Cut:
Super Ideal

Color:
H

Clarity:
SI1

Measurements:
7.46mm x 7.43mm x 4.60mm

Table:
56.0%

Depth:
61.8%

Symmetry:
Excellent

Polish:
Excellent

Girdle:
Medium - Slightly Thick

Culet:
None

Fluorescence:
None


https://www.brilliantearth.com/rings/cy ... id=1151392

Carat Weight:
1.51

Shape:
Round

Cut:
Super Ideal

Color:
I

Clarity:
VS2

Measurements:
7.32mm x 7.28mm x 4.55mm

Table:
58.0%

Depth:
62.4%

Symmetry:
Excellent

Polish:
Excellent

Girdle:
Medium - Sl.Tk

Culet:
None

Fluorescence:
None

I've also read that GCAL is generally more accurate than IGI for lab grown, so I've only been looking at GCAL certified diamonds as GIA doesn't do them yet.

Thank you!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1215 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
Hi,

Very happy to hear the thread has been useful!

For the diamond you linked to I cant comment to much on price as I dont know what they have it listed for on Blue Nile. I can say that it is cut on the lower side for GIA excellent as it is deeper cut and both the crown and pavilion angles are steep which
leads to alot of light leakage. You can also see that 7.43 x 7.38 is on the small side for dimensions for a diamond that is 1.58 ct. Typically I suggest to optimize cut over all else, in this case you might be able to get a better looking diamond that is 1.5ct H SI1 that is cut great.
As light leakage causes color to show more and the depth gives it a small size so you might be better off dropping some specs and focusing on others that are more visually apparent like face up size and cut.
tk416 wrote: Let me start by saying thanks for all your incredible feedback and advice.

I'm looking to buy a ring from BN and saw this one and wondered what you thought of it. I thought it was good from a pricing point of view and wanted your opinion when you have time. GIA 1339054222

Any advice would be appreciated.

Shape
Round
Cut
Ideal
Info
Colour
G
Info
Clarity
SI1
Info
Carat Weight
1.58
Fluorescence
Faint
Info
Length/Width Ratio
1.01
Info
Depth %
62.9%
Info
Table %
57.0%
Info
Polish
Excellent
Info
Symmetry
Excellent
Info
Girdle
Slightly Thick
Info
Culet
None
Info
Measurements
7.43 x 7.38 x 4.66 mm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1215 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
I have never heard of them, most companies even if they dont stock the diamond will bring it in to their office for inspection before shipping and if they work closely with their suppliers can get alot of insight before ordering.
IT is very rare that a company drop ships. And when you deal with in house stock there is one main disadvantage in that they have to sell what they have on hand rather than what is available on the market.

Loose vs set no longer matters from a customs point of view, it did before the HST system. I would say that buying a diamond loose and then trying to set will put you in a worse off position as you will have to find some one to take responsibility for setting a diamond they didnt sell. This can be more expensive and you may be required to insure the diamond your self as many jeweler policies dont cover diamond they dont own. In BC it can some times be advantageous to order from a non HST province as some sellers are only required to collect GST and not BC provincial tax if certain requirements are met.

With warranties most arent worth the paper they are written on as they have many clauses to circumvent coverage. One of my favorites are free repairs but you have to pay insane shipping prices. Most policies only cover "defects in craftsmanship" which is very very rare
mostly what happens is from accidental damage which is rarely covered. My best advice is to not focus on the warranty as a deciding factor and get insurance which you can get policies that cover everything that happens from 1% of the insured value per year.

Good luck
setsunafseiei wrote: Hi folks, does anyone have experience purchasing from Ada? I'm leaning toward going with them because they actually look at the products they sell, compared to some of the online options. Wondering what this community thinks of them?

Also would it matter if I shipped the diamond as a loose stone vs set in a ring in terms of duties? I live in BC if that matters. Also anything to consider in terms of warranty, future repair, etc.? I figure I will be forgoing all of that if I got a local jeweler to set a ring that they didn't source
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1215 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
The diamond looks decent to me, If you havent seen a J color in person for a princess cut I might suggest doing so before going that route as they can tend to show color, especially in fancy shapes.
With princess cuts this is mostly seen in the corners and possibly the center as this diamond has a larger table.

It doesent look like there is a brown tinge from the video, seems to be more yellow. With the videos on Blue Nile it is very hard to pickup on how the color will look.

The face up size is not bad for a princess cut, usually 1ct max out at 6mm and the bottom end is 5.1mm so you are a little above average.

For the setting IMO that is pretty expensive for a 14k gold setting with less than .5ct of small diamonds in it, and they are I SI2. Also one think to keep in mind with eternity rings is that they are difficult to resize if you need to.
manvir88jatt wrote: Hi @thediamondshopper & @thediamondshoppercanada I found this diamond and ring. Wondering what your opinion is about the diamond.
Have to propose to the girl in 45 days and with covid its hard to go shopping since I am here on west coast and she is in toronto.

This is pretty much my budget. If anyone else can chime in as well that will be awesome. Too nervous about this whole process

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/build-your- ... LD13549716
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/build-your- ... gold_71040
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1215 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
I would say if the price differences are significant I would question the quality as most of these diamonds can be shipped with little expense so geographic region of sale shouldnt make too much of a difference.
With lab grown diamonds there are many many things that arent disclosed on an IGI report. You dont know if you are purchasing older produced Lab diamonds which had pieces of metal flux as inclusions and issues with luster as well as odd color tinges.
Another consideration is that IGI has offices around the world and some believe that some offer more lax grading than others. Ultimately you are paying a price based on the color and clarity of the diamond two non tangible qualities. If these are graded in accurately then
your value proposition diminishes. Lastly there is one large issue discussed more at the wholesale level for these and that is if the color and clarity has been altered in any way. Unlike with mined diamonds currently labgrowns are not tested to see if their color was enhanced.
Though I have yet to see it some lab diamonds have been known to change color in some lighting conditions to show a blue or greyish tinge.

Moral of the story is that I wouldnt rely solely on an IGI report as there are lots of things they dont take into account and typically with diamonds mined or natural they are priced they way they are for a reason. If they are way less than some of the cheaper online sites I would question why.

good luck

Solipsism1 wrote: @thediamondshopper I've seen some places that advertise CVD diamonds that are shipped from places like China for cheaper than I can find on US/Canada sites. If they have an IGI report for the diamond, is there anything that I should be concern with (eg. quality, workmakship etc.) Or would the IGI report convert it all.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 27, 2011
3448 posts
1738 upvotes
Waterloo
Hope it's ok I ask this here. We have an engagement ring bought at People's and we also got the extra Lifetime Protection Plan. This was bought last Nov/Dec. The issue is...we found another ring (free!)...let's call it a family heirloom and we would like to use that as the engagement ring instead. I'm assuming we're out of luck with somehow returning the ring for a refund or anything?
I'm thinking the only option would be a pawn shop where we'd only get like 10% of the value we paid for it lol
Newbie
Mar 9, 2011
16 posts
2 upvotes
Surrey
Thanks bud. That diamond was sold out so I picked a similar one and used different setting. I hope she likes it :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1215 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
crystallight wrote: Hope it's ok I ask this here. We have an engagement ring bought at People's and we also got the extra Lifetime Protection Plan. This was bought last Nov/Dec. The issue is...we found another ring (free!)...let's call it a family heirloom and we would like to use that as the engagement ring instead. I'm assuming we're out of luck with somehow returning the ring for a refund or anything?
I'm thinking the only option would be a pawn shop where we'd only get like 10% of the value we paid for it lol
Hi,

With Peoples I am not sure at all on their return policy or buyback policy, but after 6 months I would say it might be tough.
Reselling jewelry from Peoples will have a huge drop in value as their margins are massive. The diamonds they use are typically very low quality I1-I2 clarity and poorly cut so selling to someone in the industry who knows this
will be tough or net you very little. Another alternative is to have the ring professionally cleaned and polished and selling on a classified site. There might be some one looking for the same style and you can recoup a larger portion of what you paid.

Hope that is helpful

Top