Shopping Discussion

Have questions about diamonds and engagement rings, ASK ME ANYTHING...

Poll: What is most important in your ONLINE diamond shopping experience?

• Total votes: 587. You have voted on this poll.
Price

57%
Selection

7%
26%
Information

5%
Addons (warranties, trade up policies, free cleanings)

1%
Location (Canada, U.S.)

1%
Customer Service, purchase assistance

3%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1215 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
manvir88jatt wrote: Thanks bud. That diamond was sold out so I picked a similar one and used different setting. I hope she likes it :)
Your very welcome, good luck!
Feb 6, 2019
45 posts
21 upvotes
@thediamondshopper incredible thread and thanks to all the advice and insight given to all the prospective buyers.

I am at the beginning of my search for a ring and this thread has been helpful. I am wondering where a good place to look for diamonds. I understand your bias, and I live in Manitoba but just getting a general insight of reputable and reliably priced businesses is my goal. I recently went to Appelt’s Diamonds and although they seemed helpful, I am uncertain on their prices. I am also a little weary of looking online without knowing who can be relied on.

Perhaps a little point in a couple good directions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14646 posts
11855 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
thediamondshopper wrote: Hi,

With Peoples I am not sure at all on their return policy or buyback policy, but after 6 months I would say it might be tough.
Reselling jewelry from Peoples will have a huge drop in value as their margins are massive. The diamonds they use are typically very low quality I1-I2 clarity and poorly cut so selling to someone in the industry who knows this
will be tough or net you very little. Another alternative is to have the ring professionally cleaned and polished and selling on a classified site. There might be some one looking for the same style and you can recoup a larger portion of what you paid.

Hope that is helpful
@crystallight

Other alternatives, that I am aware of (as SO has had a diamond from Peoples)

* Their lifetime protection plan (at least in the past) has included the ability to trade your original purchase in on a more expensive diamond. Value retained as what you paid for it originally. So if it’s still the case, then down the road ... say 5th or 10th Anniversary you could do that.

* Or, just hang onto this ring for that future occasion ... then you could give it to her, and explain the significance (the E Ring I originally bought you). Definitely sentimental value

* Or have the diamond(s) reset into another piece of jewellery. Again, These significant milestones in your life together are gonna come up any how (Wedding Anniversaries - Babies etc ). And you can never go wrong marking them with diamonds / jewellery ... they in turn become future family heirlooms that get passed on. Lol, much like the E Ring that you’ve now acquired
Jul 4, 2017
526 posts
109 upvotes
thediamondshopper wrote: I have never heard of them, most companies even if they dont stock the diamond will bring it in to their office for inspection before shipping and if they work closely with their suppliers can get alot of insight before ordering.
IT is very rare that a company drop ships. And when you deal with in house stock there is one main disadvantage in that they have to sell what they have on hand rather than what is available on the market.

Loose vs set no longer matters from a customs point of view, it did before the HST system. I would say that buying a diamond loose and then trying to set will put you in a worse off position as you will have to find some one to take responsibility for setting a diamond they didnt sell. This can be more expensive and you may be required to insure the diamond your self as many jeweler policies dont cover diamond they dont own. In BC it can some times be advantageous to order from a non HST province as some sellers are only required to collect GST and not BC provincial tax if certain requirements are met.

With warranties most arent worth the paper they are written on as they have many clauses to circumvent coverage. One of my favorites are free repairs but you have to pay insane shipping prices. Most policies only cover "defects in craftsmanship" which is very very rare
mostly what happens is from accidental damage which is rarely covered. My best advice is to not focus on the warranty as a deciding factor and get insurance which you can get policies that cover everything that happens from 1% of the insured value per year.

Good luck
Thanks, super helpful!

I found a couple of local jewelers, recommended by family friends, who are willing to set a diamond they did not source. They did not mention anything about insurance. Should I be worried? I was under the impression that diamonds are pretty durable, are they likely to be damaged during the setting process?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1215 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
Wpgleafs wrote: @thediamondshopper incredible thread and thanks to all the advice and insight given to all the prospective buyers.

I am at the beginning of my search for a ring and this thread has been helpful. I am wondering where a good place to look for diamonds. I understand your bias, and I live in Manitoba but just getting a general insight of reputable and reliably priced businesses is my goal. I recently went to Appelt’s Diamonds and although they seemed helpful, I am uncertain on their prices. I am also a little weary of looking online without knowing who can be relied on.

Perhaps a little point in a couple good directions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Hi I cant offer much along the lines of recommendations on where to shop as I have no experience with them. I would say to check here on RFD and some google reviews.
Where you decide on will depend on many things, like the importance of seeing a diamond in person before ordering, level of assistance you need in choosing a diamond, the type of setting you want (custom vs off the rack), ect.....
Nov 7, 2016
311 posts
201 upvotes
@thediamondshopper im very illiterate when it comes to jewellery, but I have this ring that I want to sell. Can you give me a ballpark figure on how much I can fetch for this? I got it from Spence and I realize they can be expensive.
Images
  • 17F65336-9361-4055-87CF-E1C2709B3D1B.jpeg
Apr 11, 2017
11 posts
Vancouver
@thediamondshopper I was hoping to get your opinion on this $14,500 Canadian diamond

Weight 2.04ct
Measurements 7.88-7.95-5.05mm
Shape Round Brilliant
Depth 63.80%
Table 58%
Crown 38
Pavillion 40.3
Girdle Thick
Culet Very Small
Finish
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Cut Grade Ideal H&A
Clarity SI2
Color G
Color Origin Natural
Fluorescence None
Images
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 9.23.54 PM.png
Feb 19, 2011
11 posts
4 upvotes
Scarborough
@thediamondshopper first time diamond shopper here, thanks for all the great info on this thread.
I’m looking for a 0.7 carat round cut diamond to set on a petite six-prong ring in white gold as an engagement ring. Is 0.7 carat a decent size on a size 5 ring for engagement? I don’t know what is the common size for diamond for engagement these days.
I did some research and narrow down to three options(they are very similar):

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD13995168
*Fluorescence Is strong.

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD12647851

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD13878628
*Depth is 62.6.

Which one would you recommend?
Aug 5, 2008
223 posts
115 upvotes
ssj37346 wrote: @thediamondshopper I was hoping to get your opinion on this $14,500 Canadian diamond

Weight 2.04ct
Shape Round Brilliant
Depth 63.80%
Table 58%
Crown 38
Pavillion 40.3
Girdle Thick
Culet Very Small
Finish
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Cut Grade Ideal H&A
Clarity SI2
Color G
Color Origin Natural
Fluorescence None
not an expert, but the crown angle here seems very steep, which results in a rather deep diamond. thediamondshopper's guidelines were crown angles no steeper than 36 degrees and total depth no more than 62.5%.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1215 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
runbrun11 wrote: @thediamondshopper im very illiterate when it comes to jewellery, but I have this ring that I want to sell. Can you give me a ballpark figure on how much I can fetch for this? I got it from Spence and I realize they can be expensive.
Hi,

It really hard to say with a center stone that is not GIA graded as the grading is likely in accurate. If we assume J SI2 and maybe 3-4 grams of gold I would say you might get $1200-1500 scrap value (quick estimate). You would be much better having the ring appraised by
an independent appraiser, getting it cleaned and polished professionally, and then trying to sell in come sort of classifieds to an end consumer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1215 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
striveforgreatness94 wrote: Hey @thediamondshopper would love to get your thoughts on these 3 diamonds. I saw the first two in person so far. Having trouble deciding. Based on the GIA which would you recommend?

https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1206637454
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=5201814389
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6342407559

Thank you!
In all honesty it is impossible to choose a fancy shape diamond with just GIA reports as there is no cut grade by GIA and there is alot of missing information like crown and pavilion angles. You really have to see these in person or with a video or image.
I can say that the first one will likely not be cut as well as the others as the pavilion facets dont extend to the girdle which usually gives radiants and cushions a watery crushed ice look.

In terms of color and clarity again without imaging you cannot go by the clarity plot as they are just symbols and dont represent how the inclusions actually look. A good part of the choice is if you like a more square of more rectangular look.
The second diamond has a much lower l/w ration than the third which will be more long and narrow.

With fancy shape diamonds you really have to rely heavily on the person or company selling you the diamond as there is really no way for you to assess the cut quality easily as a consumer and there can be many issues with fancy shape diamonds
affecting the look and light performance. For example you will want to confirm for the third diamond that the fluorescence dosent cause any milkyness, and also how good the G color is in non UV environments as GIA grades with UV so it is possible that an H color with Med Fluorescence can be graded as a G with UV light. Lastly with fancy shape diamonds prices arent linearly reltated to color and clarity as they are with rounds there can be significant price differences depending on the cutters rough cost so you can get great deals or terrible ones.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1215 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
ssj37346 wrote: @thediamondshopper I was hoping to get your opinion on this $14,500 Canadian diamond

Weight 2.04ct
Shape Round Brilliant
Depth 63.80%
Table 58%
Crown 38
Pavillion 40.3
Girdle Thick
Culet Very Small
Finish
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Cut Grade Ideal H&A
Clarity SI2
Color G
Color Origin Natural
Fluorescence None
Hi,

At first glance Im guessing that the diamond is not GIA graded as GIA would not call a diamond with 63.8% depth and a 38 crown or a 40.3 pavilion Ideal cut, it would be more in the range of VG to G.
That said you also have to wonder now about the accuracy of the color and clarity grades, if they are true SI2 G or possibly lower as is sometimes the case with grades from other labs.

A couple things to point out:
-the diamond is very deep so while most 2ct diamonds around 8.1mm, this diamond faces up more like a 1.8ct because it is very deep and has a steep crown.
-with high depth and very mismatched crown and pavilion angles as well as a thick girdle there is likely to be light leakage. Its not impossible that its hearts and arrows as that is mainly a function of symmetry but I would say it is near impossible to be ideal cut.
-when a diamond is deep and has a steep crown it shows much more color than a diamond that is cut with a more ideal depth and crown angles. That being said if the color is in accurate as it is typically the easiest to grade loosely on you could end up with a diamond
that shows more color than a true ideal cut I or J color diamond.
-lastly SI2 is a grade where alot can go wrong and you can end up with a diamond that is not eye clean

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)