Shopping Discussion

Have questions about diamonds and engagement rings, ASK ME ANYTHING...

Poll: What is most important in your ONLINE diamond shopping experience?

• Total votes: 594. You have voted on this poll.
Price

57%
Selection

7%
26%
Information

5%
Addons (warranties, trade up policies, free cleanings)

1%
Location (Canada, U.S.)

1%
Customer Service, purchase assistance

4%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1232 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
feelthedeal wrote: Thanks for the very quick reply!

In terms of price, is it in the ballpark? (ie. not overpaying too much)
Its an ok price for that diamond, your not overpaying too much ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2005
3078 posts
255 upvotes
thediamondshopper wrote: Its an ok price for that diamond, your not overpaying too much ;)
Great, thanks for the help! There's another one I'm looking at as well, just waiting for the GIA Cert number.
Aug 12, 2010
37 posts
8 upvotes
South Surrey
Hi thediamondshopper

Been reading this thread on and off for a few months now as the pressure comes and goes from the other half.

Would be interested in your opinion on the following GIA diamonds: 6205446517 and 7201824894

My current target is just below 1 carat, H, SI1, ideal cut.

Your advice is much appreciated!
Dec 3, 2012
53 posts
10 upvotes
COQUITLAM
I have a question -- and thank you for this thread!

We were in St. Maarten last year and I saw a ring I liked. It was a halo style, with an oval diamond in the centre and that diamond was over 1 carat.

While I loved the ring itself, the diamond was dull, kind of green tinged and just looked like a piece piece of glass. Not sparkly at all. We talked about it a bit, the price kept coming down as we did and it ended up at around $1,000. (The salesman said the setting alone was worth that much -- don't know if that was true or not)

My question is -- I have never seen such a dull, weirdly colored, funky looking diamond before. The salesman said it was a good diamond, just not a good color. But is that true -- can a diamond like that with no sparkle and a definite dull greenish color have much value? Was I nuts to walk away from it at $1000 US? TIA
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1232 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
toocool33 wrote: Hi thediamondshopper

Been reading this thread on and off for a few months now as the pressure comes and goes from the other half.

Would be interested in your opinion on the following GIA diamonds: 6205446517 and 7201824894

My current target is just below 1 carat, H, SI1, ideal cut.

Your advice is much appreciated!
Hi Toolcool33,

Both seem like pretty decent options to me, one thing is that with both of them how good of a cut depends on which way the rounding went with the crown and pavilion angles (GIA rounds these numbers). For the first one they are 34/41 respectively, so if either or both numbers were larger and rounded down it wouldnt be as beneficial as if they were lower and rounded up. Regardless I think this one is slightly better cut than the second option.

The second diamond 33/40.8, would have benefited from a slightly steeper crown, so if it was less than 33 and was rounded up it wouldnt be the greatest cut.

All in all I think they are both decent options, of course based on the limited info on the GIA reports. But depending on which way the rounding went would determine if they made AGS ideal or not. I only mention this because you are looking for an ideal cut, and many online companies wrongly call every GIA excellent an Ideal cut. In my opinion only diamonds reaching the higher standards of AGS Ideal should be called ideal diamonds.

Hope that helps :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1232 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
maccylu wrote: I have a question -- and thank you for this thread!

We were in St. Maarten last year and I saw a ring I liked. It was a halo style, with an oval diamond in the centre and that diamond was over 1 carat.

While I loved the ring itself, the diamond was dull, kind of green tinged and just looked like a piece piece of glass. Not sparkly at all. We talked about it a bit, the price kept coming down as we did and it ended up at around $1,000. (The salesman said the setting alone was worth that much -- don't know if that was true or not)

My question is -- I have never seen such a dull, weirdly colored, funky looking diamond before. The salesman said it was a good diamond, just not a good color. But is that true -- can a diamond like that with no sparkle and a definite dull greenish color have much value? Was I nuts to walk away from it at $1000 US? TIA
Hi Maccylu,

Even a pretty bad diamond over 1ct would likely sell for more than $1000 so in a ring with a diamond halo I think it was very unlikely that it was actually a diamond in the center. I have seen diamonds with a slight green tinge but usually the green isnt attractive it is more like a murky yellow green color, unless of course it is a fancy green diamond. Sometimes green can come from radiation. If it had no sparkle it could have been for a number of reasons, if it wasnt clear looking it is likely it was very very included which would have made it almost worthless so you would have been just buying a ring for $1000.
May 1, 2011
633 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
Nice thread...looking to buy an engagement ring....any ideas on where I should start my search? Have 3-5k to spend on it.

Something vintage would be great but I don't even know where to begin on finding one. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2005
3078 posts
255 upvotes
Hi TDS!

Any thoughts on this: GIA 2186771899

Thanks in advance!
Dec 3, 2012
53 posts
10 upvotes
COQUITLAM
thediamondshopper wrote: Hi Maccylu,

Even a pretty bad diamond over 1ct would likely sell for more than $1000 so in a ring with a diamond halo I think it was very unlikely that it was actually a diamond in the center. I have seen diamonds with a slight green tinge but usually the green isnt attractive it is more like a murky yellow green color, unless of course it is a fancy green diamond. Sometimes green can come from radiation. If it had no sparkle it could have been for a number of reasons, if it wasnt clear looking it is likely it was very very included which would have made it almost worthless so you would have been just buying a ring for $1000.
Thanks so much. Sounds like I dodged a bullet, so I don't have to kick myself.

(Funnily enough, it was a yellowish green, but just so flat. You could see the cuts, like you could in a piece of cut glass, but it didn't sparkle even a little bit. They cleaned it, and I took it outside in the Caribbean sunshine and still no sparkle. )
Dec 25, 2005
106 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi thediamondshopper,

My wife's engagement ring and wedding band was lost/stolen during a trip visiting her grandparents a few years ago. I have been looking to replace her engagement ring and would appreciate any thoughts/comments on this GIA diamond: 3205981235?

Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1232 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
Where to shop is really dependent on what you are looking for in terms of service, price, local ect. I would suggest doing some research to narrow down all the available options to you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1232 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
maccylu wrote: Thanks so much. Sounds like I dodged a bullet, so I don't have to kick myself.

(Funnily enough, it was a yellowish green, but just so flat. You could see the cuts, like you could in a piece of cut glass, but it didn't sparkle even a little bit. They cleaned it, and I took it outside in the Caribbean sunshine and still no sparkle. )
I really think you did dodge a bullet, if it dosent sparkle it kind of defeats the purpose of buying the diamond. In general I think because of more globalized trade there arent incredible deals on cruise ship and island shops. Possibly even the opposite as they rely on customers thinking that they are getting amazing deals.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3962 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
Is Blue Nile a good place to shop? Or should I go for private dealers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1232 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
FFBBY wrote: Hi thediamondshopper,

My wife's engagement ring and wedding band was lost/stolen during a trip visiting her grandparents a few years ago. I have been looking to replace her engagement ring and would appreciate any thoughts/comments on this GIA diamond: 3205981235?

Thanks
Hi FFBBY,
Of course the first thing I noticed is that it is an internally flawless diamond, which commands a premium and to an untrained eye the difference couldn’t be noticed between that and a VS1 under magnification even. So unless it being flawless is significant you are spending on something that makes absolutely no difference in terms of look.
Aside from that the cut is about average IMO, the crown is pretty steep and it is a bit deep (62.5) but all in all I would say an average cut GIA excellent. Not quite an AGS ideal by specs but not a bad diamond.
The one thing that you will want to check is that the medium fluorescence dosent impact the luster, causing a milky or hazy appearance and also that the color isnt based on a brown, green or grey tinge.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1232 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
feelthedeal wrote: Hi TDS!

Any thoughts on this: GIA 2186771899

Thanks in advance!
Hi Feelthedeal,
I was able to look this diamond up with the supplier and unfortunately there isnt any info on the color and clarity. You would want to confirm of course if it is eye clean and that there is no strong color tinge or brown/green tinge. In terms of cut it is not a very nice cut. The table is a bit to big to match with the other proportions and the pavilion angle is much to deep. The combined effects of these two proportion differences is that the diamond will have considerable light leakage in the table and in spots around the edges. This is a bad thing in general because the table will look lifeless (little to no sparkle and brilliance) and the diamond will look smaller because the edges are dull. I attached both a magnified image and an ASET image so you can see these effects visually, compared to an optimally cut diamond. What is really interesting is that you can see the light leakage shown in the ASET image in the actual magnified images as dark areas in the table. Going with I color you will want something that optimized light performance better to help mask the color when the diamond is set, this diamond is cut in a way that it will show the color more because of its poor light performance.