Shopping Discussion

Have Wait Lines Started Up Again For Grocery Shoppers?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2021 11:08 am
Oct 26, 2005
405 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto

Have Wait Lines Started Up Again For Grocery Shoppers?

Haven't gone grocery shopping in almost a week. Based on province wide phone warning alerts from yesterday, has it affected store maximum occupancy?
aknny
26 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
I have found it to be luck of the draw. We went out on Wed. because we had to pick up a prescription and there were 3 people in line. But on the way home the line was very long to get in. We also went to the LCBO and Longos since we were out. Both the LCBO and Longos had only 2 people in line to get in, but huge lineups to pay - but not so bad that at Longos you would finally have to leave your perishables. But the lineups that we experienced in Toronto previously were worse. But we deliberately went on Wed. Sale prices start on Thurs. and then again there is the weekend. We are well stocked and will now continue with home delivery

I did order something from Home Depot and received the pick-up e-mail today. There was no one else in line - this came as a shock - but the fellow was irritable who had to bring out our purchases. Can't help that.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
It depends on where you go. I notice recently there are less shoppers inside Costco and a small lineup outside so stores definitely are stricter with capacity policy.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12574 upvotes
Markham
Shouldn't change much since people get use to it. Just go on workday
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7847 posts
9210 upvotes
Vancouver
No, same as the past month or so.

Why would there suddenly be line ups?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8555 posts
11768 upvotes
GTA
Spinner wrote: No, same as the past month or so.

Why would there suddenly be line ups?
Every province is different, probably doesn't affect BC were you are located. Less people are allowed in the stores with the new "stay at home" orders in Ontario where OP is located.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1727 posts
685 upvotes
because they cut the instore numbers so i think down to 25% capacity so costco could get hammered if inspections and no one monitoring who comes in and goes out for capacity limits
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2463 posts
2595 upvotes
Toronto
The new lockdown doesn't change capacity limits for grocery stores which still stands at 50%
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
2945 posts
1426 upvotes
GTA
Went to my local no frills at about 730 pm, fearing a lineup. I was surprised to see only 5 cars in parking lot. At first I thought the store had already closed for the day. I was pleasantly surprised to see only a few people inside.

I guess Costco would be a total opposite. I haven’t visited Costco since the new rules.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
Costco is fine an hour before closing usually . This week I havent seen much line up though
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7090 upvotes
Mississauga
I've found it varies. I usually hit my local Loblaw's early to mid-morning and can walk right in. But I've gone to Longo's midday and have had to wait 5-7 minutes.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
Its brutal to wait outside in very cold weather....hope the stores dont make big lineups in winter
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Blanche123 wrote: I have found it to be luck of the draw. We went out on Wed. because we had to pick up a prescription and there were 3 people in line. But on the way home the line was very long to get in. We also went to the LCBO and Longos since we were out. Both the LCBO and Longos had only 2 people in line to get in, but huge lineups to pay - but not so bad that at Longos you would finally have to leave your perishables. But the lineups that we experienced in Toronto previously were worse. But we deliberately went on Wed. Sale prices start on Thurs. and then again there is the weekend. We are well stocked and will now continue with home delivery

I did order something from Home Depot and received the pick-up e-mail today. There was no one else in line - this came as a shock - but the fellow was irritable who had to bring out our purchases. Can't help that.
The workaround for the LCBO is to use their online ordering for a store that offers curbside pick up

We’ve done this several times now ... and it’s great.

But like online groceries it might require a bit of forethought ... “What do I need to carry me for the next few weeks” vs just stopping by whenever the mood strikes you

But way better than dealing with long line ups in not so great weather
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7090 upvotes
Mississauga
apnayloags wrote: Its brutal to wait outside in very cold weather....hope the stores dont make big lineups in winter
Fortunately, at least in the GTHA this winter so far has been on our side. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
3063 posts
4997 upvotes
Toronto
Really depends on the time of day. I was at a Metro last weekend at 11am, no lineup, 20 minutes when I left there was a lineup of 20 people outside. I also passed by a No Frills that probably had 40 people in line.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1191 upvotes
Last weekend the line up outside of Costco was 4 to 5 wide . The length of the store . Inside it was like quiet week day . Only two people per cashier with many check out stalls closed .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1062 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
pfbmgd wrote: Last weekend the line up outside of Costco was 4 to 5 wide . The length of the store . Inside it was like quiet week day . Only two people per cashier with many check out stalls closed .
Does the store have a max. number of customers allowed inside at one time that is being enforced?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
I wish they would.
It would leave more room for social distancing inside.
The only real way we are going to see a marked decrease in covid cases.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1191 upvotes
Jonric wrote: Does the store have a max. number of customers allowed inside at one time that is being enforced?
Yes there was a person counting people . It looked like 10 to 15 out then they allowed the same amount in .

They are concerned about stores . Yet movie/TV studios going full blast . The parking lot was full at the studio on Kipling .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12574 upvotes
Markham
gh05t wrote: I wish they would.
It would leave more room for social distancing inside.
The only real way we are going to see a marked decrease in covid cases.
The only way to get covid case decreases is to send those rule breakers to the jail . If people don't follow the rules, doesn't matter what rules are