Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 7, 2013
556 posts
156 upvotes
the 604

have we hit Peak Mobile Phone?

maybe it's just me (getting older), or maybe it's what's on the market right now, but i have ZERO interest in buying a new cellphone right now.

each year since 1999 when i got my first mobile, i'd get bored with a phone after about eight months, and four months after these "cravings" would manifest, i'd shell out for new hotness. but not this cycle: i've been using a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact for just over 1.5 years now (which pretty much makes it ancient, i guess). i admit i LOVE this phone for the size and ridiculous battery life, but besides that, there are better/faster options -- advanced shooters, higher-def screens, better digital audio, faster processors, phones with biometric security, etc. -- but i just can't get into them.

imo, these new features are extras that i don't need for messaging, video chatting, taking photos, posting to IG, writing emails, etc.

or to put it another way: i can't imagine paying $1000 for the S7E or HTC10 just to be able to do the exact same things i'm already doing.

just me?
14 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12252 posts
6803 upvotes
Brampton
Not Yet. Not until they can pack everything that the current flagship can do in to a true commodity sell it for bargain basement prices and have the battery last over a week.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2198 posts
675 upvotes
Edmonton
Yes, they have peaked for now. Mobile (phone) VR will be the next step change.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
I remember when there was a push for VR in the 90s with the huge sit-inside arcade games, the graphics were slow, crude polygons. And somehow we thought it was awesome lol.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3623 posts
936 upvotes
Home
Unless the battery is advanced so it provides the same stand-by / usage time as flip phones from 15 years ago, it is not in peak yet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
AMRadio wrote: maybe it's just me (getting older), or maybe it's what's on the market right now, but i have ZERO interest in buying a new cellphone right now.

each year since 1999 when i got my first mobile, i'd get bored with a phone after about eight months, and four months after these "cravings" would manifest, i'd shell out for new hotness. but not this cycle: i've been using a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact for just over 1.5 years now (which pretty much makes it ancient, i guess). i admit i LOVE this phone for the size and ridiculous battery life, but besides that, there are better/faster options -- advanced shooters, higher-def screens, better digital audio, faster processors, phones with biometric security, etc. -- but i just can't get into them.

imo, these new features are extras that i don't need for messaging, video chatting, taking photos, posting to IG, writing emails, etc.

or to put it another way: i can't imagine paying $1000 for the S7E or HTC10 just to be able to do the exact same things i'm already doing.

just me?
I think it would be worth it to use a hardware upgrade (if you can) to get a $0 Nexus 6P. Other than that, I wouldn't shell out $1000 for a phone if yours already does everything you need.
Feb 3, 2013
594 posts
250 upvotes
Field BC
I've always stayed one or two generations behind.

Blackberry | people were using Galaxy Nexus/ S2
Galaxy Nexus | people were buying Nexus 4 / G2
Nexus 4 | Nexus 5 was out for a while and used market was full of N4's
Nexus 5 | Oneplus was out and N5 was reaching EOL
Oneplus & G3 currently | Nexus 6, Nexus 6p, etc

Once I hit 3GB RAM, there wasn't much room to go any faster for productivity tasks. Newer phone would give better camera and not much else.

I have a feeling VR will be like 3D TV. It's cool, it's nice to use it in spare time, but still a niche.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16007 posts
377 upvotes
The only thing they need to improve on is the battery.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2198 posts
675 upvotes
Edmonton
notfromqc wrote: I remember when there was a push for VR in the 90s with the huge sit-inside arcade games, the graphics were slow, crude polygons. And somehow we thought it was awesome lol.
I've been waiting for VR ever since stepping out of one of those POS, dream crushing, machines.

terry0703 wrote: Unless the battery is advanced so it provides the same stand-by / usage time as flip phones from 15 years ago, it is not in peak yet.
I'll just leave this here:

Moto StarTAC 130:
Stand-by 50 h
Talk time 140 min

Moto Razr V3:
Stand-by Up to 280 h
Talk time Up to 7 h

iPhone 6S Plus
Stand-by Up to 384 h (3G)
Talk time Up to 24 h (3G)

Source: GSM Arena
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3623 posts
936 upvotes
Home
Andrew765 wrote: I've been waiting for VR ever since stepping out of one of those POS, dream crushing, machines.

I'll just leave this here:

Moto StarTAC 130:
Stand-by 50 h
Talk time 140 min

Moto Razr V3:
Stand-by Up to 280 h
Talk time Up to 7 h

iPhone 6S Plus
Stand-by Up to 384 h (3G)
Talk time Up to 24 h (3G)

Source: GSM Arena
TBH I don't believe those 'up to' times anymore..384 hours? Show me a pic of even maybe 2 weeks (336 hours) stand-by, or it doesn't exist.
And those two feature phones are some of the least battery time, and also consider they were packed with 500, maybe 600mAh batteries.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2001
2823 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
terry0703 wrote: TBH I don't believe those 'up to' times anymore..384 hours? Show me a pic of even maybe 2 weeks (336 hours) stand-by, or it doesn't exist.
And those two feature phones are some of the least battery time, and also consider they were packed with 500, maybe 600mAh batteries.
Try buying a new stock android phone, insert sim, charge to full, power on and turn off all background apps, notifications, and connectivity. check it a week later and it'll still have a decent charge. That's the real 'up to' times.

Anyway, I find the 'up to' times are pretty accurate.
Hi5exposure Photography
http://www.hi5exposure.com
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3623 posts
936 upvotes
Home
urameatball wrote: Try buying a new stock android phone, insert sim, charge to full, power on and turn off all background apps, notifications, and connectivity. check it a week later and it'll still have a decent charge. That's the real 'up to' times.

The 384 hours of stand-by time is on 3G, according to gsmarena, so I don't see your condition as the real 'up to' times.
If it must be in airplane mode to be able to survive a week, it doesn't mean anything to me. I remember when I was using a flip phone several years ago, I turned on the airplane mode but forgot to turn it off, it still survived easily after a week. With 1/5 - 1/6 capacity of today's smartphone battery.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12252 posts
6803 upvotes
Brampton
urameatball wrote: Try buying a new stock android phone, insert sim, charge to full, power on and turn off all background apps, notifications, and connectivity. check it a week later and it'll still have a decent charge. That's the real 'up to' times.

No... after a week itd be dead.

I literally have a Moto E on my desk.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
22026 posts
25620 upvotes
Toronto
I feel same way as OP. Currently have a Samsung Note 4 running stock Marshmallow and a Sony Xperia Z Ultra w/official Lollipop. I don't game at all.

For all my needs (casual picture taking, texting, browsing web, Flipboard, Spotify, and Netflix/Overdrive/Hoopla) either phone works fine. I don't notice the faster processor on the Note 4 vs the Sony Xperia.

Currently I can't think of one compelling reason for me to upgrade.

I do have big batteries for both though. Zero Lemon 10000mAh for the Note 4 and the official Sony Power Cover CP12 w/3000mAh battery pack.
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Feb 3, 2013
594 posts
250 upvotes
Field BC
New phones are not that exciting now. I bought every Blackberry that came out because it had significant upgrades year over year.

Year 1. black > color screen
Year 2. trackwheel> trackball (wheel was known to go bad quickly)
Year 3. 2G > 3G
Year 4. trackball > trackpad (trackball still needed replacements)
Year 5. 320 x 240 to 640 x 480 (you could tell difference easily, not like 1080p > 1440p)
Year 6. touchscreen

Phones that came out in last 2-3years are "good enough" and new ones doesn't add any new features. Especially if your phone is latest up to date via custom ROMs.