Careers

have you ever been offered a job right on the spot during an interview?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2015 9:19 am
Tags:
None

Poll: have you ever been offered a job right on the spot?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Oct 7, 2008
244 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

have you ever been offered a job right on the spot during an interview?

i just had an interview 2 days ago and i thought it went pretty good but then again you never know whats really going inside the interviewers head. i've been to a few job interviews in my life and i dont think i have ever been offered a job right on the spot. they almost always give the "we have a few more people to interview, we'll let you know" line.

have any of you been offered a job right on the spot at a real company for a real position not some dishwasher job at joe's burgers.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3657 posts
685 upvotes
Toronto
Ive been offered a job 30 minutes after the interview, after they said the same thing.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
938 upvotes
Sask.
Yes, I was - it was for a job as a reporter/photographer for a newspaper.

Wishing you good luck!
Feb 26, 2013
194 posts
108 upvotes
Guelph
I've only ever been offered a job on the spot for a student job in retail/food industry. Never anything that took major qualifications. It's usually an HR formality with those types of jobs.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5607 posts
1805 upvotes
Toronto
If PEY (16 months coop) counts as real job then yes. For a software company, the manager offered me on the spot after interview.

.... And I said let me decide for a few days as this only my first interview. The manager emailed and called me 4-5 times in the following days. Didn't work there at the end.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50486 posts
14811 upvotes
ONTARIO
I got my first banking job like that! I did a phone interview and they said 'great! Meet me @ this branch next week.'

I spent my last $300 on a suit. It was actually visa's $300... Lol. Went in there with my whole super friendly/confident trying to market myself demenour. Every question she asked i answer to make me look good.
What i didn't realize... It wasn't an interview. Because she was just casually chatting to me about my exp. and goals in life.
She asked me what i thought of a 4 week training program starting in 2 weeks. I was shocked lol. Needless to say i was soooooo friggin happy.

I work for a different bank now helping people with accounts, loans and investments. But if it wasn't for her giving me a chance, i wouldn't have the foundation for what i'm doing now.
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
208 upvotes
Iceland
Got my first relevant 'good' job on the spot paying $30 an hour during university.
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote: oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1880 posts
124 upvotes
Once it happened for an offer with a lot of red flags, and they pulled it when I started asking more questions about the offer and wanting a written offer before I accept.

Put it this way how many people fall in love at first sight? Most people takes months if not years to decide if they would spend the rest of their lives together.

And while jobs are not as serious in many ways, few jobs requiring skills would be offered on the spot.

From your point of view do you want to work for a company or a manager who offers a job on the spot? I mean if they made all decisions in such rapid fashion would that be a good thing? Most likely no.

We tell people we'll consider all candidates we have asked for interviews before we made a decision, even if we really like someone. It would be wrong to say otherwise and against HR policies.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
472 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I got called for what I thought was an interview and when I got there they the manager was expecting to start training me right then. I had to call my old job and tell them I was sick that day then call the next day to tell them I quit because the new job was pretty sweet in comparison lol. I miss the old booming Calgary days, jobs like fruit on trees, just pick one and go lol.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1220 upvotes
aGincourt
Was hired on the spot for pizza delivery, quit the same week
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7644 posts
4337 upvotes
Debtario
Does getting "hired" from within count?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
247 upvotes
It wasn't on the spot, but she told me "I think you'll have no problems with this job, you'll do well." Then 2 hours later I got a call and job offer. It was at a well-known tech company so I didn't think it was sketchy, questionable or anything. I didn't even really think I had the job, because a lot of HR/Hiring Managers just say the most positive things to avoid awkwardness.

The interviewer was an Asian female, probably 10 years or around that older than me. We had lived in the same neighbourhood. She also played basketball for that high school way back when. She probably figured had we been the same age and grown up together we would have been in the same circle. She was pretty hot, I would have tried to hit that. But she transferred out of the department 3 weeks after. Shame, because I never got a chance to hit up a happy hour with her. Probably was the best for my career at that time, but the new boss was an ass.

I got offered jobs on the spot at restaurants when I was young. I'm not sure that counts though, restaurants always hire on the spot.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2052 posts
609 upvotes
Hamilton
Yes, it was after a four hour interview though and that was after 3 other interviews. Funny thing was that after all that they rescinded the verbal offer.

You don't have the job until its in WRITING.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5624 posts
1485 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
In this industry (O&G, trades, construction), almost all the time. They just care that you're ready to work, have experience and the appropriate papers, and don't sound like an idiot. Usually you'd only get a call if they want you to begin with.
Accountant (Public Practice)
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Environmental Services
  • Road Construction
  • Transportation & Logistics
  • Tax & Financial Analysis
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Apr 28, 2010
138 posts
57 upvotes
I have only ever had this happen when I worked retail or administrative positions. Most corporate positions will have to go through the process of interviewing everyone even if they have a name in mind. Then they will need to go through a contract signing, tax papers, etc which usually happens a few days/weeks after your initial interview. Then a formal or informal introduction session.
Feb 10, 2015
607 posts
228 upvotes
Kind of.

I went for an interview (engineering) and met the manager for breakfast and then spent most of the day with him. At the end of the day he basically told me that he had to interview a few more people to follow the process but that I would be hearing from him in a couple of weeks.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
DanTh3Man wrote: Kind of.

I went for an interview (engineering) and met the manager for breakfast and then spent most of the day with him. At the end of the day he basically told me that he had to interview a few more people to follow the process but that I would be hearing from him in a couple of weeks.
This doesn't sound like a job offer to me.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1999 posts
878 upvotes
HK
Once, when I was a student interviewing for the Federal Government (forgot which department). They told me they had a few more interviews to go through for the day but I was whom they wanted. I ended up rejecting the cushy "job-for-life" and pension for a private sector job.

No regrets since.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4506 posts
2166 upvotes
Calgary
I was not only offered a job on the spot once about 10 years ago, but was asked when I came in for the 2nd interview with the big boss if I could start working right then and there. Started my training while I was in my suit for the day (they lost several people over 2 weeks and need a new hire badly). Was a bilingual customer service rep job at a medical company.