Automotive

Have you ever been pulled over by the police?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2020 12:54 pm
[OP]
Jul 9, 2017
68 posts
281 upvotes

Have you ever been pulled over by the police?

What happened? Did they let you off with a warning? Did you get a ticket?
58 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15097 posts
11832 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Yep. Just to say what's up.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5085 posts
1040 upvotes
Burlington
Last time I was let off with a warning, it was last year. I've also had tickets, each time they were reduced on the spot though.
Aug 13, 2011
742 posts
317 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
Stopped at a red light during summer. Windows down.
Officer walks up to side of car and tells me to put it in park and shut it off, all while his hand resting on his gun.
Right after I shut car down, he starts laughing.
Someone had spilled their drink or something on the side of my car and he thought it was a big blood splat at first.
Suggested I clean it up ASAP to avoid other possible stops.

Got pulled over while in HOV lane.
Officer doesn't even make it to my window when he notices my daughter sleeping in her car seat.
Just yelled out "SOrry" and turned around back to his car.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2658 posts
1298 upvotes
MrMimizu wrote: Stopped at a red light during summer. Windows down.
Officer walks up to side of car and tells me to put it in park and shut it off, all while his hand resting on his gun.
Right after I shut car down, he starts laughing.
Someone had spilled their drink or something on the side of my car and he thought it was a big blood splat at first.
Suggested I clean it up ASAP to avoid other possible stops.

Got pulled over while in HOV lane.
Officer doesn't even make it to my window when he notices my daughter sleeping in her car seat.
Just yelled out "SOrry" and turned around back to his car.
I wasn't always sure if young kids/infants count as a second passenger
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10552 posts
3871 upvotes
dantey wrote: I wasn't always sure if young kids/infants count as a second passenger
They do but imo it should be another licensed driver to qualify. Ohhhh I got my son I’m carpooling. At least a passenger old enough to be in the front.

Someone once asked fantino on cp24 call in show if a pregnant woman can use HOV he gave some typical non answer but was funny to see him sweat.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9967 upvotes
Edmonton
Got pulled over last spring. Was driving the girlfriend's SUV, which we rarely drive anymore. Cop stopped behind me at the light, they noticed the plate was expired. For like 4 months... *sigh*

The insurance docs in the vehicle were also old. They were nice enough to hang out with me while my GF went and got her insurance papers and texted me a pic of them. They ended up giving me the cheap registration ticket ($200 instead of $300) and nothing about the wrong insurance papers, so I figure I got a break on that.

C
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32080 posts
19297 upvotes
Toronto
Yup. 5 times over my lifetime of driving. First 3 times were for speeding in my teenage years and tickets were given. The most recent one was 4 months ago but let off with a warning as the result of change in speed limit on most of the Toronto ‘s major roadways.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38216 posts
24393 upvotes
Center of Universe
Most "serious" incident was my vehicle fitting a description of a crime in progress, in which I was surrounded by 4 patrol cars.
After a bit of back and forth, they rushed back to their cruisers and sped off.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
I appraoched them about 5 winters ago at my mom's house street. I gave them a push when they were stuck in snow.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7785 posts
1814 upvotes
Scarborough
Once few yrs ago on the qew. It was like -35 so he told me to slow down, i was doing 120 at like 4am on pretty empty highway lol
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23581 posts
5761 upvotes
Toronto
three times............

1st time - over 10yrs ago
- pulled over on Bloor St past University at some stop sign. Driving with expired plate stickers. I didn't receive stickers as I was disputing a parking ticket and then moved....never paid the $5 parking ticket fine so they never sent me a letter to replace my license stickers. Expensive lesson - over $300 fine for driving with expired plate stickers

2nd time - 8 yrs ago
- driving fast in Kitchener on a busy local street. Some dood cut me off so I sped up and cut him.....a couple of cars down was a cop. Explained that I was cut off and upset.....he saw I wasn't from KW area and let me off with a warning

3rd time - 5 yrs ago
- pulled over at a stop sign in North York. Cop was watching cars stop at stop sign. Said I did a rolling stop, I said I stopped fully. Gave me a ticket and I disputed it. The day in court, cop never showed so ticket was rescinded.

Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56486 posts
21536 upvotes
Surprised there is no mention of donuts.

Some 15 years ago. Exchanged my BC license for Ontario and often did not come to a complete stop on red signals when there are no oncoming cars. Too lazy back then to read the handbook from cover to cover.
Thought I could do a rolling stop and make the turn as long as it was safe. Got caught on the way to Michigan and paid around $300.

Since then, I come to a full stop for half a second at stop signs and red lights. Still learning about the laws here in Ontario, our place to grow, on the automotive forum. :)

Tip: painted lines are just guidelines no matter what color they come in but overhead and street signs usually have to be followed.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8623 posts
5552 upvotes
Mississauga
Got pulled over recently by OPP on 401 near Kennedy Road because apparently my car (black Charger with black steelies and winter tires) vaguely resembles an undercover police car. Cop even accused me of having upfitted emergency lights on the front of my car. When I pointed out that those were the factory fog lights that shut him up pretty quickly.

Cop looked like a rookie (mid-20’s at most). Buddy took my licence, etc. and after a few minutes came back and apologized and I was on my way again.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1090 posts
1581 upvotes
@home
Blew by TPS on the 401 near Meadowvale doing 140 km/h

Needless to say he paced me for a minute before hitting the lights.

I was young and dumb thinking TPS didn't have the authority to pull people over on the highway (obviously they do)

He didn't say a word, i didn't say a word. Handed my documents to the officer and he walked away.

Came back with 2 tickets:
40 over posted (points, fines, etc)
No proof of insurance (I had it, didn't want to argue I had 3 or 4 cars in my policy and 2 slips. He didn't see the other one)

I drove off and cursed myself.

I waited to see if the cop would show on the day of court, he showed up last minute so i Plead it down with prosecutor to 10 over, no points and 120 days to pay the fine.

Ahh, thank God for no stunt law back then.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38216 posts
24393 upvotes
Center of Universe
mrweather wrote: Got pulled over recently by OPP on 401 near Kennedy Road because apparently my car (black Charger with black steelies and winter tires) vaguely resembles an undercover police car. Cop even accused me of having upfitted emergency lights on the front of my car. When I pointed out that those were the factory fog lights that shut him up pretty quickly.

Cop looked like a rookie (mid-20’s at most). Buddy took my licence, etc. and after a few minutes came back and apologized and I was on my way again.
I drive an all black Explorer with the interceptor winter tire package and haven't been pulled over yet... however I do get preferential treatment on the highway, as most vehicles switch lanes as I approach.lol
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2007
2268 posts
1876 upvotes
Waterloo
Chris Rock already covered this topic:

Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15842 posts
21600 upvotes
Vancouver
I got pulled over for turning left on a red light. Cop followed me for about 8 blocks before pulling me over. I told the cop that yes I did turn left on a red, but it was onto a one-way street, and after I came to a complete stop and yielded the right-of-way, which is all legal in BC. The cop disagreed that it was a one-way street. Finally I said "All right, I admit fault, I shouldn't have one that, I won't do it again. But just for the record, at the time I really did believe that was a legal left turn onto a one-way." He let me go with a warning. I have continued to make left turns on red lights there since. So was it a one-way or not? You be the judge: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2660501 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8623 posts
5552 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote: I drive an all black Explorer with the interceptor winter tire package and haven't been pulled over yet... however I do get preferential treatment on the highway, as most vehicles switch lanes as I approach.lol
The funny thing is I’ve passed dozens of cops over the years of owning this car and not one has so much as raised an eyebrow.

Have had many civilian drivers slow right down if they’re overtaking me in the highway.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12428 posts
2148 upvotes
GTA
My Bois n I get slammed all da time.....