Travel

Have you ever gotten a fantastic price on a last minute Christmas/New Years all inclusive?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 8:50 pm
Nov 11, 2011
383 posts
460 upvotes
ROCKWOOD

Have you ever gotten a fantastic price on a last minute Christmas/New Years all inclusive?

I am in a really weird temporary housing situation this year and I am looking for some ideas.

My situation is that we sold our house last spring. We were supposed to close the deal on Nov 20th. It was then extended to Dec 11th by our buyers. Yesterday our real estate agent called with another request from our buyers to extend the close to Dec 20th.

We have been compensated with $$$ for each time and it is a PIA but whatever. We are beginning to think the deal may actually fall through but I will deal with that if it happens.

We have not bought another house for a variety of reasons, mostly because we have not found something we love in our area and the market has really slowed down so we are hoping to get a great price Jan/Feb, we are renting for a couple of months.

So having said all this, we were thinking it might be nice to get away for Christmas. I have not booked anything because if the buyer extends again I would want to spend one last Christmas in this house. If the deal does close though, I would like to try to get on a plane and head out to some where.

My budget is $6000-8000 for four people or maybe more but not quite sure yet. I know I can get down to Florida for that and possibly California but I was kind of thinking about an all inclusive too. They are not my favorite but it might be a good way to spend the holidays.

I was thinking about waiting till Dec 20-21st and seeing what I could get that leaves the next day or something like that...

Have you ever booked a very last minute christmas or new years all inclusive and if yes, approx what did you pay?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Yeap. Two years ago, $1500 for two (2) ppl AI in Grenada. I have a feeling its never going to happen again lol
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't wait personally. Bookings are actually up from last year for departures between Dec 25-Dec 31 due to the Black Friday/Cyber Monday mindset that has been gaining in popularity in recent years.

You are already last minute FYI (less then 30 days from departure).
Nov 11, 2011
383 posts
460 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
BrunetteGirl wrote: I wouldn't wait personally. Bookings are actually up from last year for departures between Dec 25-Dec 31 due to the Black Friday/Cyber Monday mindset that has been gaining in popularity in recent years.

You are already last minute FYI (less then 30 days from departure).
Normally if I were going somewhere I would have been booked long ago, especially with the holidays. The thing is I want to wait because if for some reason my house doesnt close (see my original post) I would much rather have one more christmas in our home. This is why I am waiting. Thanks for the input tho, I totally agree under regular circumstances...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Christmas / New Years is historically EXPENSIVE not cheap.

People book months / a year in advance... and most last minute deals were sold out on BF/CYM (that 30 to 45 Day Window Before)

Have never got a true last minute deal for an AI over Christmas... but have found an awesome cruise in a relatively short window aro7nd the holidays with best deals being those that set sail immediately after New Years... like Jan 2 thru 10

My best advice for a last minute is book direct, then transfer the booking to a local TA (like Costco) for more perks / cash back

PS... don’t forget to buy Travel & Med Insurance... a snowstorm could come along and delay your flight this time of year
Nov 11, 2011
383 posts
460 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
PointsHubby wrote: Christmas / New Years is historically EXPENSIVE not cheap.

People book months / a year in advance... and most last minute deals were sold out on BF/CYM (that 30 to 45 Day Window Before)

Have never got a true last minute deal for an AI over Christmas... but have found an awesome cruise in a relatively short window aro7nd the holidays with best deals being those that set sail immediately after New Years... like Jan 2 thru 10

My best advice for a last minute is book direct, then transfer the booking to a local TA (like Costco) for more perks / cash back

PS... don’t forget to buy Travel & Med Insurance... a snowstorm could come along and delay your flight this time of year
May 7, 2015
528 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Normally I would echo what a lot of people have, that you should have booked already and not wait, but given your housing situation it's completely understandable why you'd wait it out until last minute.

That being said, yes you have to be prepared for the fact that to get a deal, you must be willing to be flexible and not too picky about your expectations for a place. Many flights and hotels will be sold out, but you never know what may come up.

Another tip, as many direct flights may be sold out, but you may be able to get a connecting flight to a destination with a good hotel price, but if you connect make sure it's in a warm weather locale that's less likely to be affected by snow delays (ie Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Mexico City, etc) as opposed to some of the northern ones like Chicago, Detroit, or New York.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
As others have mentioned, XMas / New Year is typically very expensive to travel so I suspect finding a great deal will be tough. Assuming you're flying, even Florida might be tough with that budget (typical return airfare is close to $1000/each at XMas)
Nov 11, 2011
383 posts
460 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
BaconBaron wrote: Normally I would echo what a lot of people have, that you should have booked already and not wait, but given your housing situation it's completely understandable why you'd wait it out until last minute.

That being said, yes you have to be prepared for the fact that to get a deal, you must be willing to be flexible and not too picky about your expectations for a place. Many flights and hotels will be sold out, but you never know what may come up.

Another tip, as many direct flights may be sold out, but you may be able to get a connecting flight to a destination with a good hotel price, but if you connect make sure it's in a warm weather locale that's less likely to be affected by snow delays (ie Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Mexico City, etc) as opposed to some of the northern ones like Chicago, Detroit, or New York.
Ahhh yes, snow and general weather delays, I had not thought of that and how they might change things. Great point, thanks!
Nov 11, 2011
383 posts
460 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
michelb wrote: As others have mentioned, XMas / New Year is typically very expensive to travel so I suspect finding a great deal will be tough. Assuming you're flying, even Florida might be tough with that budget (typical return airfare is close to $1000/each at XMas)
I feel for anyone who has to last minute travel for emergencies etc during the holidays. For fun I priced out some sun destinations on the ITA Matrix and the prices are indeed crazy!
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1218 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
For vacation that leave within 24 hours, you need to get yourself a travel agent as you will not see those deals online. At least that was my personal experience. For anything over 24h, all those travel sites will offer the same pool of vacations,just not for real last minute getaways. I have a few family members who always travel last minute and find great deals less than 12 hours before departures with the help of a travel agent. Eg. 2 years ago 900pp for a 4 star AI in Bahamas over Christmas.
Nov 11, 2011
383 posts
460 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
demi2004 wrote: For vacation that leave within 24 hours, you need to get yourself a travel agent as you will not see those deals online. At least that was my personal experience. For anything over 24h, all those travel sites will offer the same pool of vacations,just not for real last minute getaways. I have a few family members who always travel last minute and find great deals less than 12 hours before departures with the help of a travel agent. Eg. 2 years ago 900pp for a 4 star AI in Bahamas over Christmas.
Wow- thank you! My BFF works for a major vacation supplier so I may ask her to look out for me-I would not have thought of this so thanks again!
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
Keep in mind that travelling over Christmas (example leaving before and coming home in the days immediately following Christmas you will slightly more likely to find something). It's the departures leaving AFTER Christmas (Dec 26 onwards) until into the 1st week of January this year that will extremely expensive with limited available.
Nov 11, 2011
383 posts
460 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
BrunetteGirl wrote: Keep in mind that travelling over Christmas (example leaving before and coming home in the days immediately following Christmas you will slightly more likely to find something). It's the departures leaving AFTER Christmas (Dec 26 onwards) until into the 1st week of January this year that will extremely expensive with limited available.
Thank you, I kind of thought this was the case but I wasnt sure.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)