Shopping Discussion

Have you ever had to pay taxes at the border?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2012 1:40 am
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10184 posts
645 upvotes
Mississauga
What about if an ameri-friend brings stuff over to you? I believe they have like a $60 exemption limit? Does that mean they can bring like 5 1gb shuffles without paying anything on them? Would you need receipts to prove how much they cost?
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10184 posts
645 upvotes
Mississauga
Tijuana wrote: What about if an ameri-friend brings stuff over to you? I believe they have like a $60 exemption limit? Does that mean they can bring like 5 1gb shuffles without paying anything on them? Would you need receipts to prove how much they cost?

bump!
Mar 25, 2011
708 posts
31 upvotes
Guelph
u0dcameron wrote: I don't understand how do they know whether you bough clothes in the US... or in Canada... or somewhere completely random.

How do they prove you bought something in the US?

I always thought it would be easy to lie especially on something like clothes, especially if I'm wearing the clothes I bought.

Pull you over-check your car-see the bags.

There's RN or CA #s on the tags of clothing (not everything though). It'll tell you if it was sold from the US or Canada.

Ultimately, once they see the bags full of goodies you're toast.

Don't lie, or at least declare the majority of your stuff.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2300 posts
2855 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
macnut wrote: Not necessarily - it's just their paperwork that you present at the "secondary inspection" to be assessed tax and maybe duty on the items that you have just declared.

This applies even if you are on a motorcycle, bicycle or are walking over the border.

Of course, if you have given them any reason, inspection of your bags, inner tubes, shoes, etc. will take place.

Have not read the full thread but up to this point so far. I'm interested in the bicycle part as I am thinking of doing a self supporting bicycle tour then a credit card tour meaning I'll be probably camping on lawns if the owner agrees or B&B's, etc.

The part that concerns me is how in a post 9/11 world almost anything how almost anything can be constuded as a weapon or something else. Like I'll likely be having a swiss army knife (all hail MacGuyver!), a flat repair kit, pocket knife, canister backpacker stove (for those no-fire situations), likely a wood stove for the extended trip to save money on canisters (frigging $5/225g urrgh), multitool, mini axe/small hunting/survival knife for wood batoning. The bike, sleeping gear and such I'm sure is not really harmless in view. Anyways just asking if anyone has any experience with bicycle touring carrying tools/repair kits with them.

Also to bring it back to the OP's topic, what if I buy a new fuel canister, or a new knife that got broken, or another tire repair kit, tire, flat inner tube..... do I still have to pay taxes on that if it is in immediate use? Or would the BSO/Canada Service agents take the bike/tires and bags apart just to make sure I am using them? I mean not many places to tire and tube when bicycle touring.

Anyways, thanks in advance.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2300 posts
2855 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
rommelrommel wrote: In your tank, no. In jerry cans, a boat, or in a slip tank, yes.

Hmm... so that means if I carry around a ~1000-500mL MSR fuel bottle with petrol for a backpacking stove I'll be charged taxes for the fill up?
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11125 posts
1267 upvotes
Sorry if this was answered before:

I want to purchase a $1000 product in the states. if I come back to Canada with another person, can we combine our exemptions to cover this product?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6797 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
slowtyper wrote: Sorry if this was answered before:

I want to purchase a $1000 product in the states. if I come back to Canada with another person, can we combine our exemptions to cover this product?

No, see the link in my signature.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4099 posts
113 upvotes
Tahsis
thedealhunter2000 wrote: Have not read the full thread but up to this point so far. I'm interested in the bicycle part as I am thinking of doing a self supporting bicycle tour then a credit card tour meaning I'll be probably camping on lawns if the owner agrees or B&B's, etc.

The part that concerns me is how in a post 9/11 world almost anything how almost anything can be constuded as a weapon or something else. Like I'll likely be having a swiss army knife (all hail MacGuyver!), a flat repair kit, pocket knife, canister backpacker stove (for those no-fire situations), likely a wood stove for the extended trip to save money on canisters (frigging $5/225g urrgh), multitool, mini axe/small hunting/survival knife for wood batoning. The bike, sleeping gear and such I'm sure is not really harmless in view. Anyways just asking if anyone has any experience with bicycle touring carrying tools/repair kits with them.

Also to bring it back to the OP's topic, what if I buy a new fuel canister, or a new knife that got broken, or another tire repair kit, tire, flat inner tube..... do I still have to pay taxes on that if it is in immediate use? Or would the BSO/Canada Service agents take the bike/tires and bags apart just to make sure I am using them? I mean not many places to tire and tube when bicycle touring.

Anyways, thanks in advance.

If you're planning on entering the USA I would not describe your tour as self supporting as unless you're a citizen you can't do anything to "support" yourself. I would have some proof of adequate funds and ties to Canada.

As for your question none of that stuff is a real concern. But, anything that you acquire and return with is subject to duties and taxes. There is a provision for emergency repair of a vehicle but "wear items" are not an emergency repair. If you're out for 48 hours you have a 400 CAD exemption and 7 days is 750 CAD so I don't think bicycle tubes are going to be a factor.

And yes, refills of fuel containers are also taxable.