Careers

Have you heard about going back to the office?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2021 7:04 pm
Tags:

Poll: Have you heard about going back to the office?

  • Total votes: 219. You have voted on this poll.
No - Have not heard anything definitive yet
 
51
23%
Yes - Will be wfh full time permanently
 
28
13%
Yes - Will be hybrid, some days wfh, some days in office
 
116
53%
Yes - Will be going back full time
 
24
11%
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
12629 posts
16146 upvotes
Toronto

Have you heard about going back to the office?

Have you heard about going back to the office?
71 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 8, 2010
1436 posts
1131 upvotes
Ontario
sircheersa wrote: Have you heard about going back to the office?
i am working for a company that is "essential" and had people in office all the time... back to office is not planned before November and at that time will be 25% of workforce and will grow to maybe 50%. Permanent "work from home" plans already implemented.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
1764 posts
2074 upvotes
The plan was to head back on a hybrid schedule starting September, but I'm hearing that many companies are now delaying that move due to the Delta variant. I'll be waiting to see if it's postponed for us later this week.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7179 posts
9153 upvotes
The NORTH
What industry.
Sr. Member
Jul 18, 2020
753 posts
1217 upvotes
My company already said hybrid + perm wfh is going to account for 80% and only 20% of us will be going back to the office for Mon - Fri. Our company has no plan to rush us back to the office by the end of this year.
Sr. Member
Jul 18, 2020
753 posts
1217 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: What industry.
Banks will be the first one to call their employees back, even if you work in IT for banking they will expect you to go back this fall.
Member
Feb 5, 2015
396 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
I was already 2-3 days a month from home, we expect that it's going to be 1 day a week from home.

Initial plan back in Feb was September, but haven't heard anything firm.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
12629 posts
16146 upvotes
Toronto
First time being in an in-person board meeting today, feels weird.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2010
3613 posts
1923 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Food and beverage, IT.

10% of the workforce is permanent WFH (includes my team). Rest is either hybrid or full return.
Last edited by dc200 on Aug 10th, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichmondCA wrote: Leading indicator on bear market, when you see this avatar start popping up in this thread
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1492 posts
1031 upvotes
Toronto
My team was always WFH so no change here. Rest of the office will be hybrid and it was announced back in Aug 2020. Office space will be downsized and a few employees moved out of the GTA core last year.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9962 upvotes
Edmonton
Why is this in Real Estate?

C
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2010
3613 posts
1923 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
CNeufeld wrote: Why is this in Real Estate?

C
Elephant in the room.

The end of WFH signals GTA prices to the moon (again).
RichmondCA wrote: Leading indicator on bear market, when you see this avatar start popping up in this thread
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7179 posts
9153 upvotes
The NORTH
dc200 wrote: Elephant in the room.

The end of WFH signals GTA prices to the moon (again).
They stopped?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
12629 posts
16146 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: Why is this in Real Estate?

C
You don't think wfh impacts real estate?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9962 upvotes
Edmonton
sircheersa wrote: You don't think wfh impacts real estate?
Then the actual question should actually include some form of reference to real estate and/or housing prices, or even having to relocate based on a change in WFH policy. Asking if people have heard about their WFH policy is irrelevant.

Something like:
Has your housing plans changed from your pre-COVID situation, due to COVID WFH drivers?
a) No, still living in the same place
b) Yes, moved out to the 'burbs and plan on living there for the foreseeable future
c) Yes, moved out to the 'burbs and now need to relocate back to the COTU
d) Yes, relocated intra-provincially, plan on living there for the foreseeable future
e) Yes, relocated intra-provincially, having to move back to the COTU
f) Yes, relocated inter-provincially, plan on living there for the foreseeable future
g) Yes, relocated inter-provincially, having to move back to the COTU
h) Yes, relocated internationally, plan on living there for the foreseeable future
i) Yes, relocated internationally, having to move back to the COTU

C
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
12629 posts
16146 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: Then the actual question should actually include some form of reference to real estate and/or housing prices, or even having to relocate based on a change in WFH policy. Asking if people have heard about their WFH policy is irrelevant.

Something like:
Has your housing plans changed from your pre-COVID situation, due to COVID WFH drivers?
a) No, still living in the same place
b) Yes, moved out to the 'burbs and plan on living there for the foreseeable future
c) Yes, moved out to the 'burbs and now need to relocate back to the COTU
d) Yes, relocated intra-provincially, plan on living there for the foreseeable future
e) Yes, relocated intra-provincially, having to move back to the COTU
f) Yes, relocated inter-provincially, plan on living there for the foreseeable future
g) Yes, relocated inter-provincially, having to move back to the COTU
h) Yes, relocated internationally, plan on living there for the foreseeable future
i) Yes, relocated internationally, having to move back to the COTU

C
I'm personally more curious about office work structure. People are often in denial or convince themselves of things so asking their plans is kind of pointless imo people change their mind all the time.
Sr. Member
Aug 13, 2020
687 posts
727 upvotes
Google released more details about their pay calculator today, based on where you work from /WFH. I think companies will try to push this structure - pay based on where you are working from.
Sr. Member
Jul 18, 2020
753 posts
1217 upvotes
sircheersa wrote: I'm personally more curious about office work structure. People are often in denial or convince themselves of things so asking their plans is kind of pointless imo people change their mind all the time.
But if your work is project base what does it matter, as long as your work can be delivered before the deadline.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1533 posts
646 upvotes
Vancouver
Dept is on trail to wfh till Dec 2021. Too much pressure from other dept to complain about it. I feel like I perfrom much better at home since I don't have to spend 2.5 hours on transit each day.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 6, 2010
9940 posts
1883 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Hybrid 3 days in, 2 days out + a given number of completely remote weeks per year (number varies per team but seems to be aligning to 2-4 based on what I'm told). However our back to office date got moved to early 2022 due to delta variant.

Top