Off Topic

Have you started gearing up for second wave?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2020 3:55 pm
Jun 21, 2011
953 posts
143 upvotes
YYZ
gizmo8 wrote: Let each mayor decide to shut down or not.House parties are so easy to monitor.Some one files a complaint.Police goes there to see the volume of people and distancing.Fine the home owner or renter on the lease $2500 if they feel rules been violated and if it happens again double that.
I would love to see the outcome of that happening, what will stop the ppl from shopping at another city??!!
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1299 posts
388 upvotes
Antarctica
bas00m wrote: I would love to see the outcome of that happening, what will stop the ppl from shopping at another city??!!
I think you replied to the wrong post. This one was talking about house parties which can be worse than simple shopping under certain conditions.
Jun 21, 2011
953 posts
143 upvotes
YYZ
Crichtonfan wrote: I think you replied to the wrong post. This one was talking about house parties which can be worse than simple shopping under certain conditions.
you are right!
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14713 posts
2709 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Yeah, I think most can realize that we aren't getting COVID19 infection at Superstore vs the neighbourhood jam that gets hosted over the weekends..
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
12244 posts
7353 upvotes
If I were to guess, I think people are getting infected through parties, clubs, gatherings, etc where people aren't wearing masks or social distancing. I don't think people are catching this at the grocery store or other spaces where people are told to wear masks. I really hope instead of shutting everything down the government is smart and actually does some proper investigation into where people are getting infected.

I see parties all over the place via instagram with no masks. Enforce that stuff before shutting everything down again.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2017
2235 posts
1114 upvotes
lol I still have stuff from the first panic buy! :razz:
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1975 posts
731 upvotes
Brampton, ON
We are gearing up at work by stock piling PPE and non-perishable foods. All the meetings I have been on point to this being a more deadly wave than the 1st. Our LTC sector was hit hard in wave 1 but with the loosening restrictions in our sector I am interested to see what happens.

I am almost positive in the next coming weeks we will see another tightening of the healthcare sector again (and rightfully so).
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8753 posts
2422 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
My employer had 95%+ of employees working from home from March through June.

In July, everyone was required to return to offices unless they had a medical exemption.

Last week it decided to permit anyone to work from home unless their is a compelling reason for them to have to report to an office.

I think my employer is being proactive, progressive, and flexible in its planning and practices.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Jun 4, 2013
459 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver
bas00m wrote: I wanna know how Ford will enforce say locking down Brampton which is Peel or say Toronto from having ppl going to shop at say other communities like York or Durham.

if he locks one area, ppl will drive to the nearest community and shop from there. How will he enforce that??!! ask for ID and ask ppl for home address verification??!!

it is either you lock down the whole province again or not at all .. shutting down cities will let ppl shop at the nearest city!
Also what if people work and live in different cities? Is Ford going to deny people from working?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2851 posts
312 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote: My employer had 95%+ of employees working from home from March through June.

In July, everyone was required to return to offices unless they had a medical exemption.

Last week it decided to permit anyone to work from home unless their is a compelling reason for them to have to report to an office.

I think my employer is being proactive, progressive, and flexible in its planning and practices.
My company also keeps having their "return to office" timelines pushed out. In April, they estimated we'd all be moving back by September. August comes around, and the new date is December. September comes, and now it's "Q1 2021", and they've redesigned many jobs to be permanently "flexible work place" aka, work from home.

I get one of those - when this all passes and everyone goes "back to the office", I get to keep 4 days at home, and 1 day in the office.

Huzzah!
Jun 4, 2013
459 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver
LeisureSuitL wrote: My company also keeps having their "return to office" timelines pushed out. In April, they estimated we'd all be moving back by September. August comes around, and the new date is December. September comes, and now it's "Q1 2021", and they've redesigned many jobs to be permanently "flexible work place" aka, work from home.

I get one of those - when this all passes and everyone goes "back to the office", I get to keep 4 days at home, and 1 day in the office.

Huzzah!
Same here with my work. We were sent to WFH in March was suppose to be back to office in Jun, then got push to early Aug, then Late Aug and now into Sept with no word yet.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1259 posts
529 upvotes
North York, ON
We'll (8 ppl) be living at the cottage for the next few months. 3 X 20' freezers full and a cold cellar fully stocked.
No faith in Ford or Tory so it's "take care of my own cuz no one else will".
Too short a baseline to reopen.
Testing and tracing still a fail.
Present guidelines for schools falling very short of true guidelines.
Perfect storm coming up this Fall/ Winter.
All IMHO and hoping we're 100% wrong.
Jun 4, 2013
459 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver
magoot wrote: We'll (8 ppl) be living at the cottage for the next few months. 3 X 20' freezers full and a cold cellar fully stocked.
No faith in Ford or Tory so it's "take care of my own cuz no one else will".
Too short a baseline to reopen.
Testing and tracing still a fail.
Present guidelines for schools falling very short of true guidelines.
Perfect storm coming up this Fall/ Winter.
All IMHO and hoping we're 100% wrong.
No doubt there is going to be a 2nd outbreak and it will be worse this time around. Also the feds will be shut down the country for any reason. There is no way they can afford to. Already hundred of billions of debt is added due to CoVID19. They can not afford to another round of hundred of billions of debt. Not to mention almost tons of small business is already wipe out/out of business. Even the big corps are having a hard time operating. Another shut down and you can kiss good bye to 995 of the small business out there and even more big crops closing for food. Not to mention economy is going to take much much longer to recover. More people will out of work for good as there are no jobs out there.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8753 posts
2422 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
sponge5307 wrote: No doubt there is going to be a 2nd outbreak and it will be worse this time around. Also the feds will be shut down the country for any reason. There is no way they can afford to. Already hundred of billions of debt is added due to CoVID19. They can not afford to another round of hundred of billions of debt. Not to mention almost tons of small business is already wipe out/out of business. Even the big corps are having a hard time operating.
It sounds like you believe the governments will make decisions that will result in health care systems being overwhelmed and larger numbers of deaths of citizens to protect the interests of corporations and the 1%. I'm not challenging this view, just curious whether I understand your view correctly.

Much of consumer spending is based on confidence. I'm also curious what the effect would be on the economy of health care systems being overwhelmed and larger numbers of deaths of citizens.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Jun 4, 2013
459 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver
MexiCanuck wrote: It sounds like you believe the governments will make decisions that will result in health care systems being overwhelmed and larger numbers of deaths of citizens to protect the interests of corporations and the 1%. I'm not challenging this view, just curious whether I understand your view correctly.

Much of consumer spending is based on confidence. I'm also curious what the effect would be on the economy of health care systems being overwhelmed and larger numbers of deaths of citizens.
Some places don't require a full shut down and their number of case is very low to begin with. All I am suggesting is when a 2nd shut comes business simply won't survive it and most of it will be small business. No small business around means there are no jobs coz no one or very few place are hiring so more people are without work. More people ask gov for aid EI, CERB etc etc BUT the gov needs people to pay tax in order to fund all the social programs. If people are already not working gov can't get their income through taxes. They can only print money or increase tax for business/income tax. Working people will spend less coz they have to pay more of their money to gov, business will just pass the extra cost to us so price increase causing people to spend even less.

We can not stand another shut down unless the gov plan to bankrupt the country.