• May 14th, 2019 5:30 pm
[OP]
Sep 3, 2006
268 posts
92 upvotes
Montreal

Having difficulties to order on some US websites with my credit cards

Hello everyone,

I have difficulties to order on some US websites with my credit cards and I'm not sure of the reasons. I get opaque answers from the stores and most of the time they tell me it might be because of information mismatch when they compare the shipping address and the billing address. It makes sense and I'm about to call my credit card company to figure out if I can add my US address to avoid this specific issue. According to other posts I read here, it should work.

But there's more. Some sites like Asics.com don't let me buy. The buy process jams with the error "please enter you credit card security number". I do it and I tried many times with the same result. I don't know why it does this.

I heard the best solution is to get a US credit card. Can you recommend me a card? Can I easily signup if I have no official US address? (other than the drop point when I go grab my packages in the USA close to the border)
6 replies
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1485 posts
939 upvotes
Vancouver
Could most likely be that because your billing address is in Canada, their anti-fraud system detects different billing and shipping address (especially two different countries) and automatically declines the transaction. Either that or the company has an auto-decline feature where if they know the shipping address is to a parcel forwarder/receiver, they will decline because they may have had instances in the past where it was shipped to that location and have been bombarded with emails regarding lost packages resulting in full refunds and a loss of product.

I've only ever experienced one time where I couldn't ship to a parcel receiver and it was from Think Geek. They told me strictly they do not ship to parcel receiving services as to combat fraudulent claims that item was not received for full refunds. I had to make my way to Bellingham to pick it up in person at a GameStop. First and last time I'll shop from there.
Mar 20, 2011
301 posts
211 upvotes
Langley, BC
Quick tip for this is to use the Paypal checkout if the store offers it, you can give Paypal your real billing address and the store the same as the shipping address, and some don't even require it. Just be sure to disable Paypal's currency conversion and use your cards conversion instead. If you decide to keep using a Canadian card instead of a US one I recommend getting a zero-FX fee credit card such as the Home Trust Preferred Visa.

I see the Asics store doesn't allow you to use Paypal though, so doesn't really help in this case :(
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13000 upvotes
Voltz23 wrote: I heard the best solution is to get a US credit card.
This is the best solution.
You can work around it sometimes with "fudging" your zip/postal but it doesn't always work. You'd take the numerical portion of your postal and add 2 zeros. So A7B8C9 would be 78900.

If you go to the US, most to all banks have a Visa based debit card by default. You can stroll into a branch and sign up in person with ID. The address you give them can be your Canadian address, although shipping might be an issue.
I got around this by maintaining a UPS Store box, but this costs money.

If you can't get to the US, RBC and TD both have US "arms" that are technically US Banks but are easily transactable in Canada.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16034 posts
4868 upvotes
London
Voltz23 wrote: ..
I heard the best solution is to get a US credit card. Can you recommend me a card?..)
Sometimes a Canadian Amex card will work. Amex doesn’t seem to differentiate between US and Cdn versions of their credit cards
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2538 posts
1323 upvotes
London
if u cant get ur card to work another option is to sign up for a service like usgobuy they have a buy for me option were u tell them what u want to buy and they will order it for u.