Home & Garden

Having a hard time finding underlay for ceramic tiles for condo approval

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2022 2:47 am
[OP]
Feb 8, 2010
2 posts

Having a hard time finding underlay for ceramic tiles for condo approval

Trying to have my kitchen retiled, contractor recommends using Schluter-DITRA but our property management says it doesn't meet the IIC 65 rating required for 6" slab. My contractor says that this is what is recommended and IIC 65 is more for floating wood floors not for tiles. I've seen other renovations in our condo that did tile and property management are not willing to share what underlay they used for approval. Their response is "your contractor should source the correct requirement"

Any help would be great.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7253 posts
2836 upvotes
GTA
zfs wrote: Trying to have my kitchen retiled, contractor recommends using Schluter-DITRA but our property management says it doesn't meet the IIC 65 rating required for 6" slab. My contractor says that this is what is recommended and IIC 65 is more for floating wood floors not for tiles. I've seen other renovations in our condo that did tile and property management are not willing to share what underlay they used for approval. Their response is "your contractor should source the correct requirement"
Building management sounds like a pleasure to deal with. Email demanding they provide the sound transmission rating of the existing 6" slab and ceiling below, it will be 60-65 on its own (before tile/ditra/thinset). Copy all condo board members the email requesting that info and mention building management refusing to provide approved assemblies that other condo units installed.
Jun 14, 2006
743 posts
90 upvotes
GTA
I used this, no concerns - heck after I was done, the property management actually reached out to me to provide them with this information so they can provide it to others who want to do renos.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/goodfellow-ultra-high-density-undrerlayment-for-floating-glue-down-or-nailed-down-floors-200-sq-ft-/1001412053

Just noticed yours is for tiles though...mine was for flooring.
Jan 26, 2006
225 posts
243 upvotes
GTA
Never used the product but quick search found -this- which alleges IIC 68 and seems intended for use under tile, stone, and hardwood.
Mar 28, 2021
20 posts
1 upvote
Anything reaching and claiming IIC ~60-70 range for ceramic tiles is most defiantly done so with an acoustic/soundproof ceiling during testing. Problem is 99% of condos do NOT have any sort of acoustic soundproofing between floors/ceilings, usually either just 6" or 8" plain concrete slabs all the way down. Condo boards are known to be shortsighted and ill-advised on this fact and just keep throwing their gavel down senselessly claiming they want something that simply doesn't exist. IIC ~70 could be reached for flooring like laminate/vinyl, however pretty much close to impossible for ceramic tiling in condos (trust me I've been looking). The highest I've found is IIC 56 for ceramic tiling.

Most modern condos these days have some sort of tiling already throughout the units like the front foyers and kitchens so you should defiantly be able to figure something out, bring it up with the board and show some aggressiveness if needed, their usually filled with Karen's and oat meal retirees who have nothing better to do than huff and puff. If they keep giving problems, tell them you'll start a condo-wide petition to rip up all tiling in everyone's units since apparently its the devil and theirs no suitable solution for it, so no one should have it. Would kick some gears in motion.

The hard part is passing the information along to the condo management and making them understand all this, I find most just are incompetent and don't want to do more work than they have to learn these things. There are companies out there that provide training and education in this exact matter for condo boards since most dont know what the f*ck they are talking about.
Dec 1, 2017
230 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto, ON
All of the original builder installed tiles that I’ve seen removed during renovations over the years have never had any kind of soundproofing. It’s always been tiles directly onto the concrete.
Mar 28, 2021
20 posts
1 upvote
Funny how now they all want some stupid music studio level soundproofing all of a sudden lol

As usual pass the actual expenses and work to the owners :facepalm:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)