• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2018 12:29 pm
[OP]
Dec 22, 2010
340 posts
108 upvotes

Having some issues with Hyundai dealershsip repair service

Hello,

My father is having some issues with his car Elantra that he bought 4 years ago. He hasn't had any bigger problems before.
The car is out of warranty now because the mileage went over the limit already since he goes to Florida every winter time.

A month ago, when he was in in Florida, the car didn't start the engine, so he called CAA. A mechanic arrived, explained that the battery needed to be changed, and then changed the battery. He didn't have the same problem ever since.

However, last week, the car didn't start the engine as usual. The ignition started but it soon turned off. He had to attempt several times including pushing the gas pedal while turning the key, and then finally he managed to turn the engine on and drove to Hyundai service.

What they did was, they changed the battery again even though the previous installed battery was new. They also cleaned the gas valve(Gasoline GDI engine intake valve deposit cleaning service), changed the spark plug, changed the bulb for the rear lamp, and some other small services. The cost was $750. $330 for part and another $330 for labor, plus tax. The car worked fine at this moment, but the strange part was that they didn't give my father previously installed battery back.

And today, the same problem came back couple times. It doesn't seem like they fixed the problem at all.

I advised my father that instead of going to the same place, try another Hyundai service and explain the situation because if he goes to the same place, they might bring up another issue and charge more money. Also I told him to try those garages at Canadian Tire since the car is out of warranty and get over with.

But my father is planning to go to the same place again. It's simply because he doesn't know what to do. I don't know what to do.

Please help me if you have any advice. I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

UPDATE: So, my father went to the same Hyundai Service after couple days. He said that they've done some tests but they didn't find anything. All they said was, Come back if the same problem happens again. They didn't charge anything this time luckily. Also my father asked them what happened to the battery that was installed in Florida. They just said to him that they discarded the battery. Of course people usually throw new car batteries away everyday.

But then after 10 days, today the same problem came back again. This time I was there. So when my father started the car, the car didn't start the engine as usual. Instead, it was about to stall and making noise like those cars in old cartoons about to die. Soon my father press the gas pedal couple times, then the state of the car became normal. At this moment there was a very strong gasoline smell from the car.

This time I recommended my father to go to the same Hyundai Service but he's got sick of them. So he wants to try another Hyundai service in the city. I'm just afraid they will do the same tests but don't find anything, then charge a lot of money. I just feel so bad because I was the one who recommended my father to get a Hyundai car. Feel like I'm getting punished because of that. I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Last edited by testmann on Feb 25th, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
20 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19014 posts
7062 upvotes
Toronto
First of all don't go to Canadian Tire. Your car will be in worst shape. Why not go to the same dealership and see what they have to say this time. If that doesn't work out try another dealer or independent garage.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16515 posts
18073 upvotes
Oakville
Unfortunately, the price gauging he's suffering is the price for mechanical ignorance. He could save some money by going to a good indy mechanic.
You could help him by getting an OBDII reader and going to the hyundai forums to see if they can help.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21732 upvotes
Center of Universe
Depending on how the cleaned the carbon build up; that alone can run a few thousand; if done via walnut blasting.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2010
340 posts
108 upvotes
engineered wrote: Unfortunately, the price gauging he's suffering is the price for mechanical ignorance. He could save some money by going to a good indy mechanic.
You could help him by getting an OBDII reader and going to the hyundai forums to see if they can help.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/

Is this the right forum you are talking about?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16515 posts
18073 upvotes
Oakville
testmann wrote: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/

Is this the right forum you are talking about?
Yup. Not as good as the BMW forums, but still useful to share common issues. Chances are that someone's already figured it out.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12419 posts
9149 upvotes
GTA, ON
Alternator?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2970 upvotes
keenland
testmann wrote: Hello,

My father is having some issues with his car Elantra that he bought 4 years ago. He hasn't had any bigger problems before.
The car is out of warranty now because the mileage went over the limit already since he goes to Florida every winter time.

A month ago, when he was in in Florida, the car didn't start the engine, so he called CAA. A mechanic arrived, explained that the battery needed to be changed, and then changed the battery. He didn't have the same problem ever since.

However, last week, the car didn't start the engine as usual. The ignition started but it soon turned off. He had to attempt several times including pushing the gas pedal while turning the key, and then finally he managed to turn the engine on and drove to Hyundai service.

What they did was, they changed the battery again even though the previous installed battery was new. They also cleaned the gas valve(Gasoline GDI engine intake valve deposit cleaning service), changed the spark plug, changed the bulb for the rear lamp, and some other small services. The cost was $750. $330 for part and another $330 for labor, plus tax. The car worked fine at this moment, but the strange part was that they didn't give my father previously installed battery back.

And today, the same problem came back couple times. It doesn't seem like they fixed the problem at all.

I advised my father that instead of going to the same place, try another Hyundai service and explain the situation because if he goes to the same place, they might bring up another issue and charge more money. Also I told him to try those garages at Canadian Tire since the car is out of warranty and get over with.

But my father is planning to go to the same place again. It's simply because he doesn't know what to do. I don't know what to do.

Please help me if you have any advice. I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

maybe you should call dealer...that CAA battery has 3 year full replacement,,its in essence a new battery...for them to change battery without really showing a failed test is fraud
[OP]
Dec 22, 2010
340 posts
108 upvotes
cardguy wrote: maybe you should call dealer...that CAA battery has 3 year full replacement,,its in essence a new battery...for them to change battery without really showing a failed test is fraud
My father is 70 years old and he doesn't know about the car. Again, Hyundai people didn't give my father's the battery that was installed in Florida back even though it was new and has been used for a month only.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2010
340 posts
108 upvotes
noobienoob wrote: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-2011-2 ... dvice.html

What year is it? Have u tried this link...it could be that or the timing chain...I been having the occassion intermittent start up issue along with engine knock too

If you have the records of oil change u maybe able to change the car
It's 2014 but it's out of warranty because the mileage went over the limit already. I don't think my father's car has the same problem in the forum. Maybe I'm just hoping for him but my father is having a problem with starting a car occasionally.

By the way, I've gone through the forum. Wow This is the freakiest thing I've ever heard in the problems with cars. How could they leave the problem, and even worse made the customers pay for this?
Just got word that from the dealership that my 2013 Elantra with less than 45,000 km on it (bought in June 2012) needs to have the block replaced. Check engine light came on and it was shaking on idle, so took it in and that was the diagnosis. $2000 for the black and $1500 for labour -- dealer said they would try to get the block "goodwilled" by Hyundai Canada so that I just have to pay labour. Anyone else go through this? Any advice. I am more than appalled at the diagnosis but after doing some reading, apparently this isn't all that uncommon. Thanks to all.

Was told last week that I needed a new engine in my 2013 elantra... that was Tuesday. Friday the Gm told me that my engine had been approved and he'd like to buy my car from me. after I left there I remember the service advisor telling me that it takes at least 2 weeks to hear from them about approval... so I called him today... Yeah no... engine still isn't approved. The general Manager lied right to my face to try and get me to trade my car in so he can re-sell it with the new engine...I feel like this will be a painful process.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2619 posts
1104 upvotes
MARKHAM
afaik, only turbo from Hyundai is GDI, regular elantra is MPI which don't need valve cleaning, the gasoline inject behind it so it is always clean. at least not 4 year old.
Sep 13, 2007
533 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
testmann wrote: It's 2014 but it's out of warranty because the mileage went over the limit already. I don't think my father's car has the same problem in the forum. Maybe I'm just hoping for him but my father is having a problem with starting a car occasionally.

By the way, I've gone through the forum. Wow This is the freakiest thing I've ever heard in the problems with cars. How could they leave the problem, and even worse made the customers pay for this?
i hope i'm wrong and it's another issue, in my cases, the car did start
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16515 posts
18073 upvotes
Oakville
JasonCao wrote: afaik, only turbo from Hyundai is GDI, regular elantra is MPI which don't need valve cleaning, the gasoline inject behind it so it is always clean. at least not 4 year old.
MPI can build up carbon on the valves too, just not as bad as GDI, especially if the PCV/CCV has failed.
Dec 14, 2006
195 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know your car's mileage but the fact you stated it's done long trips to Florida and such tells me it could be fairly high.
Has anyone looked into your timing belt possibly being lose.
Life is Hard. It's harder when you're stupid.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2010
340 posts
108 upvotes
Thanks everyone for your advice and here's an update.

So, my father went to the same Hyundai Service after couple days. He said that they've done some tests but they didn't find anything. All they said was, Come back if the same problem happens again. They didn't charge anything this time luckily. Also my father asked them what happened to the battery that was installed in Florida. They just said to him that they discarded the battery. Of course people usually throw new car batteries away everyday.

But then after 10 days, today the same problem came back again. This time I was there. So when my father started the car, the car didn't start the engine as usual. Instead, it was about to stall and making noise like those cars in old cartoons about to die. Soon my father press the gas pedal couple times, then the state of the car became normal. At this moment there was a very strong gasoline smell from the car.

This time I recommended my father to go to the same Hyundai Service but he's got sick of them. So he wants to try another Hyundai service in the city. I'm just afraid they will do the same tests but don't find anything, then charge a lot of money. I just feel so bad because I was the one who recommended my father to get a Hyundai car. Feel like I'm getting punished because of that. I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16515 posts
18073 upvotes
Oakville
testmann wrote: Thanks everyone for your advice and here's an update.

So, my father went to the same Hyundai Service after couple days. He said that they've done some tests but they didn't find anything. All they said was, Come back if the same problem happens again. They didn't charge anything this time luckily. Also my father asked them what happened to the battery that was installed in Florida. They just said to him that they discarded the battery. Of course people usually throw new car batteries away everyday.

Have you done anything that was recommended to you here?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9992 posts
4960 upvotes
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
testmann wrote: Thanks everyone for your advice and here's an update.

Did they replace any parts besides the battery? Show the work order.
Telus $45 25GB
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10398 upvotes
Ottawa
When the car is running, does it stay running? Does it run properly? Does this only happen on cold start ofr is it a problem when the engine is warm too?
Could be a fuel or air problem. Low fuel pressure on start up or the injectors are fowled and once running it can be sustained. Or, there is a air leak somewhere in the intake system.
Could also be a temperature sensor....the sensor tells the computer to add fuel on cold starts. (pumping the gas pedal will also help).