Computers & Electronics

Having trouble picking out a new monitor ..

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 1:34 am
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Nov 22, 2013
2174 posts
1299 upvotes
Sarnia

Having trouble picking out a new monitor ..

as I need one for gaming and unfortunately the great deal I got on an LG tv for a monitor during the holiday season never fit on my pc workstation and I have been spending at least 2 weeks now trying to decide on a monitor. Anyone got ideas to share on good monitors for the average gamer in the $200+ tax or at most $300? I really would prefer to keep this as affordable as possible. The stores I have looked at are Best Buy, Mike's Computer Shop, Newegg.ca, Canada Computers, etc. I am in SW Ontario and so prefer to get it from somewhere that I know can get it delivered sooner than others for sure. Out of province seems out of the question right now. Also looking for a viewing size of 27" but might be able to do 24" but the thing is I am so used to playing on 32" and 43" tvs at the desktop in the past so 27" seems right. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
5 replies
Sep 23, 2013
508 posts
286 upvotes
Windsor, Ontario
I was hoping to see a response here as I'm also looking for a gaming monitor. I'm totally new to this, some musts I have seen are 144hz and for it to be 4k. I'm not sure what else is needed but these monitors looked to be higher than the $300 range.

I've been keeping my eye on the hot deals section to see if anything drops but no luck so far.
Life and Health Insurance Agent.
Licensed with 8 companies, access to nearly a dozen more.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Nov 22, 2013
2174 posts
1299 upvotes
Sarnia
I settled on using the monitor on my kitchen table of all things. So instead of buying a new display I had the money to go and order an RX 5700 XT. Now to buy more ram to get to 16 GB or higher and overclocking my old cpu. Thanks for chiming in @SteveDfsin and as for what you are looking for what is the max. price you would pay? Btw about the 144 Hz not needed and I sure as heck was not going to go with a TN panel for it either.
Sep 23, 2013
508 posts
286 upvotes
Windsor, Ontario
I ended up seeing a hot deal on here and jumped on it. I figured I'd need a monitor fast as my parts were shipping. At the time I didn't realize UPS and Canadian Computers are in pure chaos and still don't have the parts haha.

Best Buy and Canada Post were incredible and I got the monitor fast.
Images
  • Screenshot_20200603_130904.jpg
Life and Health Insurance Agent.
Licensed with 8 companies, access to nearly a dozen more.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
49428 posts
5848 upvotes
Toronto
1080p at 144 Hz should be the new standard if your PC can run the games you're playing at 144 Hz. If your PC can handle 1440p at 144 Hz even better. 4K is not for gaming unless you're okay with the compromise in smoothness for slightly better viewing experience. With that said most gamers will want 144 Hz over 4K any day of the week. You should easily be able to find 1080p at 144 Hz under $300.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10232 posts
6466 upvotes
I'm hoping to get a WFH gaming monitor (4k @ 60Hz for work, then 1080p @ 120Hz+ during gaming, 10bit colour, 99%+ sRGB, 95%+ AdobeRGB, minimal response lag and input lag). I don't see anything that can do this. I'm probably not looking hard enough.