Computers & Electronics

having two landlines (temporarily) from two providers - possible?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2017 3:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1813 posts
51 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada

having two landlines (temporarily) from two providers - possible?

Hey guys,

We are planning to change providers - as our term with Bell ends this month. We're considering on going back to Rogers for our TV and Internet. However, when we inquire about the promotions they offer along with negotiating a reasonable offer, we were told that they suggest on getting a "select" package that includes the following (if my memory serves me right):

- 100Mbps internet with unlimited bandwidth
- certain channels in the "select" package (i.e. Discovery, History, CNN...)
- Home Phone (with no features)

That last point caught my particular attention. We discussed to Rogers that we don't want to have home phone. However, the sales rep told us that if we don't want the home phone - it'll gonna cost about $15CDN more (the price that Rogers offered us based in our situation is around $144CDN (not including taxes) per month on a 2-year commitment). What's worse, that home phone option that Rogers offered us don't have call display/caller ID/call waiting. The sales rep bragged to us that even though we decided to go with the option, we don't need to use the home phone.

To make matters worse, our phone number that we have with Bell - has been with us for over 20 years. We don't want to have our longtime phone number to be ported with Rogers. Instead, I came up with a plan with the following:

1) Call Rogers to proceed with the package they offer
2) Ask Rogers to request a new phone number, while cancelling TV and Internet with Bell.
3) Ask Bell to keep the landline (at least temporarily)
4) Sign up with a VOIP provider for home phone (i.e. Ooma or Fongo) and assign a new phone number
5) Port our longtime phone number from Bell into the new VOIP provider

While the steps I discuss may sound a bit confusing, I really want to assign a new number when switching from Bell to Rogers, while keeping my old phone number that was with me for a long time - to be ported into the new provider. Also, don't suggest me VOIP.ms. Even though that they're good, their configuration could be confusiing. Based on what I had discussed, will the aforementioned scenario work that way?
Less Negativeness, More Positiveness
Moins des négativités, Plus de positivités
7 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32599 posts
6371 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Port to FreePhoneLine and then forward all calls to your Rogers Home Phone

I understand that you've had this number for 20 years, but honestly, who calls you on it? I've had the same landline for 18 years and killed it 6 years ago because everyone calls my cell

My suggestions will be the cheapest. Port fee and config file will cost about $100 and it's a one time fee. If you want to be cheap. Just pay the port fee and skip the config file, but you risk losing the number for inactivity.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1813 posts
51 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
Gee wrote: Port to FreePhoneLine and then forward all calls to your Rogers Home Phone

I understand that you've had this number for 20 years, but honestly, who calls you on it? I've had the same landline for 18 years and killed it 6 years ago because everyone calls my cell

My suggestions will be the cheapest. Port fee and config file will cost about $100 and it's a one time fee. If you want to be cheap. Just pay the port fee and skip the config file, but you risk losing the number for inactivity.
I currently have a FreePhoneLine account - however, it is (currently) configured with a 226-based phone number. I was considering on changing that phone number - into a 289-based phone number for FPL, but I'm not sure that is possible. Another factor is that I'm really sick of telemarketers calling our longtime phone number. Even though I removed my number off the "Do-Not-Call List" a while back, the cracks seem to be fallen through.

Out of curiosity, how do I forward all of my phone calls from my FreePhoneLine line into my Rogers home phone (if I were to get it - but with no caller ID feature on it)?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
FutureHeartsJunkie wrote: I currently have a FreePhoneLine account - however, it is (currently) configured with a 226-based phone number. I was considering on changing that phone number - into a 289-based phone number for FPL, but I'm not sure that is possible.
Yes, it is: http://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en-u ... are-moving

http://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en-u ... e-numbers-

Out of curiosity, how do I forward all of my phone calls from my FreePhoneLine line into my Rogers home phone (if I were to get it - but with no caller ID feature on it)?
http://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en-u ... Follow-Me-

Your Rogers number must be in one of these areas in order to forward calls to it using FPL for free: https://www.freephoneline.ca/cityListing
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32599 posts
6371 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
FutureHeartsJunkie wrote: Out of curiosity, how do I forward all of my phone calls from my FreePhoneLine line into my Rogers home phone (if I were to get it - but with no caller ID feature on it)?
Forwarding is pretty straight forward, just dig around the portal.

Caller ID is a different beast. Since you will be calling out from your Rogers Home Phone, you will need to disable it there. Unless you get an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) and actually use your 20 year old land line number, which makes this redundant
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1813 posts
51 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
Thanks for your suggestions, folks.

If I get an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter), which particular one do you recommend? I'm looking for one that has the following:

- Selective Call Forwarding/Blocking numbers
- Attended/Blind Call Transfer

Please advise for any suggestions therein.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1369 posts
434 upvotes
Ottawa
You should be able to simply ask Rogers for a new number. The Rogers home phone doesn't use your Bell landline, it is a completely separate system. It is basically VOIP that runs on their cabling infrastructure.

So yes simply sign up for the Rogers package, cancel Bell TV/Internet anytime after. Sign up VOIP of your choice. Port out your Bell number once you are happy with the VOIP service.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
FutureHeartsJunkie wrote: Thanks for your suggestions, folks.

If I get an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter), which particular one do you recommend? I'm looking for one that has the following:

- Selective Call Forwarding/Blocking numbers
- Attended/Blind Call Transfer

Please advise for any suggestions therein.
FPL's own Follow Me feature (call forwarding) does not support selective call forwarding. It just forwards calls. Original Caller ID will be maintained.

You can get selective call forwarding working using an Obihai ATA (you won't with practically anything else using FPL), but there's a learning curve involved. You're going to need to be willing to invest time learning and reading. And the original
caller ID of the incoming phone call will not be maintained. Your caller ID from FPL will appear on the forwarded call.
For example, in your X_Inboundcallroute for FPL in an Obihai ATA, for selective call forwarding, you would need to specify the callerid of the phone numbers you want forwarded.

{4161234567:sp1(4162345678},ph

Calls from 4161234567 will ring 4162345678 using SP1. All other calls will ring your phone port (normally).

For further discussion, visit https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=425.20 (you can post there and ask questions).
Since the incoming call will be bridged with an outgoing call, using this method, the new outgoing call will carry with it your FPL caller id info (name and number).
X_Use302ToCallForward will not work with FPL.

Blocked Telemarketing calls by default will go straight to FPL's voicemail, unless you have an Obihai ATA and follow the instructions I list in the PDF guide:
http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 094#p74094

Blind transfer info can be found here:
For further discussion, visit https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=425.20

The most powerful ATAs intended for home use are Obihai OBi200 and OBi202. Nothing touches their routing abilities. They're almost mini PBXes.

But there's going to be a learning curve involved for the things you want to do.

FPL is a very bare bones service. Obihai ATA's help to make up for FPL's limitations, but if your want to use more powerful VoIP features, you'll need to use something else besides FPL.

OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.25). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)