• Jan 10th, 2018 3:44 pm
[OP]
Nov 15, 2006
29 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto

Hawaii Solo trip ....

Hey everyone,
Because of the super cold weather in Toronto, prompt me wanting to go somewhere warm.
So, I came up with Hawaii, and might just do a quick solo trip for 10 days.

NOW, any tips and suggestions for me?
I have never been, and have not done any research yet.
Money, I would say mid range would be great.
Please give me some fun destinations, activities or place to stay.

Thanks everyone
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8831 posts
3301 upvotes
Toronto
For the first time to Hawaii, can consider a cruise. Norwegian offers a 1-wk cruise, from Honolulu. That's a good way to see several ports in different islands.

Then spend the rest of the time in Oahu. Lots to see/do. In this forum do a search and you'll find lots of info shared by people in the past (including me).
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4295 posts
2191 upvotes
It's less than $500 right now to fly to Oahu, Honolulu. Go there and enjoy the sites and sun! :-)

Also, you should rent a car if you want to see other parts of the island. ALTHOUGH if you have a Zipcar or Enterprise Carshare membership, I recommend using those instead. It saves you from having to pay for parking and gas, depending on how long you want a car.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6774 posts
2745 upvotes
Montreal
Been to Oahu twice in a year. Definitely my sun destination of choice, had such a good time both times.
Waikiki is great for the beach and shopping. You got plenty of places with beautiful views to hike, great activity for solo travelers.
One of the most beautiful beach I have seen is Lanikai beach, clear turquoise water. Hanauma Bay is a must as well. Pear Harbor is free when booking on their website. The food is great, the people are great, everything is great, I'm in love with Hawaii lol
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15926 posts
13169 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
MyNameWasTaken wrote: It's less than $500 right now to fly to Oahu, Honolulu. Go there and enjoy the sites and sun! :-)

Also, you should rent a car if you want to see other parts of the island. ALTHOUGH if you have a Zipcar or Enterprise Carshare membership, I recommend using those instead. It saves you from having to pay for parking and gas, depending on how long you want a car.
Details please

What airline... and is that one way or return
And out of what city
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2582 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
PointsHubby wrote: Details please

What airline... and is that one way or return
And out of what city
I've seen AC direct with those prices to HNL. We paid $465 pp round trip for HNL in 2015 (direct with AC) went in Feb 2015. Play around with the dates
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2582 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Arrgh wrote: For the first time to Hawaii, can consider a cruise. Norwegian offers a 1-wk cruise, from Honolulu. That's a good way to see several ports in different islands.

Then spend the rest of the time in Oahu. Lots to see/do. In this forum do a search and you'll find lots of info shared by people in the past (including me).
I personally didn't like the NCL Pride. Much rather do a land vacation in Hawaii.

Also, if the OP is solo and on a mid range budget this cruise is usually $$$ (and IMHO not worth the price).

Just my 2 cents
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8831 posts
3301 upvotes
Toronto
BrunetteGirl wrote: I personally didn't like the NCL Pride. Much rather do a land vacation in Hawaii.

Also, if the OP is solo and on a mid range budget this cruise is usually $$$ (and IMHO not worth the price).
We've done Hawaii cruises twice. More than a dozen years ago on NCL Wind that also went to Fanning Island. 10 years later on the NCL Pride. Both were great.

Cruising Hawaii is one of the best ways to see all the islands in a short time. If not cruising, in 10 days one should do either one island, or at most two. As for the price range, we don't know what the OP's mid-range mean. The OP also didn't do any research yet and may have much time to do research. Cruising allows one to stay in the same cabin, without having to pack/unpack/move/fly/drive to the next port. Can join port excursions and do/see lots in each island.

Or if the OP has lots of time to do research, be ready to rent car and go places, then the OP can also do/see a lot.
Feb 17, 2004
765 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
I used to live in Honolulu. As a first trip, 10 days is perfect. I'd just stay on Oahu on this first trip... There's plenty to see and do!

Waikiki is really busy and the beach isn't all that great due to the crowds. Head out to the North Shore and visit Haleiwa and eat at the food trucks. Check out the Dole Pineapple Plantation. Go to Waimea and Sunset Beach.

On the eastern side of the island, check out Sandy Beach, Makapu'u lookout, then head to Waimanalo, and further up to Kailua and Lanikai. You'll love these beaches. All these beaches should be spread out over several days.

Renting a car is cheap on Oahu. You can rent one for $200 a week through Costco.

For activities, the Luau at a paradise cove is great. Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, and hiking up diamond head are things you should do.
Last edited by overboost on Jan 9th, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 11, 2011
383 posts
460 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
Another vote from me for Oahu

Check Google Flights. Right now you can get various departure days and lengths of stays for around $530-$560 per person/taxes in/round trip(as @MyNameWasTaken says above) from Toronto to Honolulu and this runs into late May/early June. Flights are with United/Air Canada mostly and have a t least one stop. We have found that the direct flights we have taken in the past are so long that one stop in travel time is actually a welcome break, a chance to stretch your legs etc I also saw $490 round trip to Kailua-Kona on the Big Island in May last week and I am kicking myself for not booking it!

For example, I see Jan 25 to Feb 2nd on United for $532/CND/pp/rt/all taxes in on United and I see late Feb into early March for $522, there are tons of options. When are you looking at going?

Costco is a great option for car rental as @overboost above says but I always reserve with https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ as soon as I book my flights because you can cancel free of charge until the day before the rental. I do this just so I have something secured and the cost fluctuates quite a bit in my experience so I can cancel and rebook for a better price if it goes down. They are kind of a middle man. All the car rental places at the Honolulu airport are either directly on site or a very quick shuttle bus ride away (like 3 minutes)

As far as where to stay, you can do the iconic Waikiki area but keep in mind that it is pricey and many of the hotels charge a resort free plus a crazy amount for parking (some as much as $45-50 USD a night. It is also very much an urban centre, many homeless people and is imho run down and dirty compared to other areas of Oahu
Hilton has a Hawaii sale on right now, you can get what I consider to be a decent deal on the Hilton Waikiki Beach for approx $205 USD/night plus tax and no resort fee. It is in an area just across and up the street from the beach

You can do an Airbnb or VRBO for lots of areas of the island.

Not sure what you are looking for but we usually stay in Ko Olina ont he west side at Aulani or the Marriott. If you are going last minute and want to spend a night or two at Aulani (the Disney resort) DVC rental store has a special last minute for $125/night for Jan 14th to 16th.http://dvcrentalstore.com/discounted-po ... ervations/ which is insane because rack rate is $450-500 night

I would be tempted to head up to Haleiwa (North Shore) or maybe over to Kailua Beach (east side)and grab a condo or air bnb and live like a local

Some examples

North Shore-(beaches here are going to rough at this time of the year, this is why people go here to surf)
https://www.vrbo.com/874015
https://www.vrbo.com/4054248ha

Kailua-(calmer, warmer beaches but still beautiful)
https://www.vrbo.com/601845
https://www.vrbo.com/369136

These are options for the island of Oahu but if you want Maui, Kauai or Big Island, I can help with those too, been to all many times.

PM me or ask away if you have any specific questions, I love Hawaii and I am always eager to help people fall in love with it too
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1966 posts
858 upvotes
HK
Where in Hawaii do you want to go? That's like saying you want to go to Ontario...

My opinion is that Oahu feels like another US city, where you can find your Denny's, Costco.

I much preferred Maui (only been to those 2) if you want that "exotic" feel.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2006
29 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
wow

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Seems like Oahu would be the place to go.

What about transportation, rent a car would be the obvious choice, do you guys have general idea on how much, which company is good and cheap ... etc

once again, thank you for all the ideas.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4295 posts
2191 upvotes
battlestar wrote: wow

What about transportation, rent a car would be the obvious choice, do you guys have general idea on how much, which company is good and cheap ... etc

I disagree that Oahu is like another American city, as there are various parts to the island.

I stayed at the Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel and they DO NOT charge resort fees and it was a nice hotel just 2 blocks away from Waikiki beach. For parking check out the Waikiki Banyan it’s $20 per 24 hours and unlimited in and out. It’s half a block away from the Waikiki beach hotel.

I still say look into Enterprise car share and Zipcar because you may end up saving money if you’re doing short trips (sun sets early too).

Also, if you plan on staying during the weekend. Go to enterprise and get there $9.99 per day weekend special. Only thing is, only the enterprise outside Waikiki beach area offers this deal. So you can either take a bus directly there or an Uber for like $7. Enterprise outside Waikiki will also not offer you the complimentary shuttle. But if you’re travelling solo shouldn’t matter much
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7245 posts
4481 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Honolulu, Oahu is my least favourite Hawaiian destination (Honolulu = just another city to me), but anywhere in Hawaii will be pretty great compared to what we have for weather here right now.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5251 posts
340 upvotes
McKinsey wrote: Where in Hawaii do you want to go? That's like saying you want to go to Ontario...

My opinion is that Oahu feels like another US city, where you can find your Denny's, Costco.

I much preferred Maui (only been to those 2) if you want that "exotic" feel.
What's wrong with Costco? It's a great place to get your Pokes! And there's a big one at Maui near the airport. That's where we shopped for a lot of fresh fish and steaks for our dinners!
This space for rent.
Nov 11, 2011
383 posts
460 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
GunnerX wrote: What's wrong with Costco? It's a great place to get your Pokes! And there's a big one at Maui near the airport. That's where we shopped for a lot of fresh fish and steaks for our dinners!
Oh yes, poke is the best! ono grindz for sure!
Nov 11, 2011
383 posts
460 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
Chickinvic wrote: Honolulu, Oahu is my least favourite Hawaiian destination (Honolulu = just another city to me), but anywhere in Hawaii will be pretty great compared to what we have for weather here right now.
Honolulu is one of my least fav places in Hawaii too but the rest of Oahu is incredible.

Seriously, Waimanaolo Beach, Kailua Beach, Lanikai Beach - there are no beaches on the other islands that compare, with the exception of possibly Hapuna Beach and a couple of other coves on the Big Island

Shark's Cove and Three Tables for snorkelling in the summer is amazing

Oahu has sooo much to offer, I wish people would just travel outside of Waikiki
Nov 11, 2011
383 posts
460 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
battlestar wrote: wow

@battlestar when are you looking at going?