Entertainment

[HBO Max] 'Evil Dead Rise' a sequel to the Sam Raimi's 1981 'The Evil Dead' is in the works

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2023 7:42 am
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto

[HBO Max] 'Evil Dead Rise' a sequel to the Sam Raimi's 1981 'The Evil Dead' is in the works

New Line will produce a sequel to The Evil Dead for HBO Max. According to Deadline, Evil Dead Rise will be written and directed by Lee Cronin and star Alyssa Sutherland and Lily Sullivan. The film also reunites the original 1981 filmmaking team. Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell will serve as Executive Producers and Robert Tapert will produce.

‘Evil Dead Rise’ Happening With Sam Raimi & More For New Line; Alyssa Sutherland & Lily Sullivan To Star
https://deadline.com/2021/05/evil-dead- ... 234764445/
The original 1981 pic’s filmmaking team is back for Evil Dead Rise: Sam Raimi, who directed, wrote and executive produced Evil Dead, will serve as EP here; Robert Tapert, who served as EP and producer on the first, will produce; and Bruce Campbell, who starred as Ashley J. Williams and executive produced the original will EP on the second go-round. He will not star in the next chapter here.
Destiny is all
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5277 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Oh no... they're going to make the Leads to be Female again. Haven't they learned from Ghostbusters and basically every reboot/sequel for the last few years? :facepalm:

HBO has really declined the last few years, with Zero hits. Oh well, that's the way of the world. I heard there's a new "A-Team" coming, all female cast. The Van is now an EV. (I made this up, but it's not too far from the truth.)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5277 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Dhanushan wrote: Fyi, HBO (Home Box Office) and HBO Max are separate entities

"HBO Max was named after HBO in an attempt to leverage the brand’s prestige, but was managed separately by veteran executive Kevin Reilly. The result failed to advertise Max’s true depth of programming while inaccurately implying Max and HBO were acting in lockstep."

After a Year of Upheaval, HBO Max Has Carved Out Its Place
Despite almost unceasing corporate shake-ups, the one-year-old streaming service has managed to establish itself alongside the likes of Netflix and Amazon
Whatever it is, haven't watched any of either. No hits is still no hits.

I love the "Evil Dead" movies and "Ash vs Evil Dead", but once I see Female leads, hope for anything awesome dwindles away. It's too bad Hollywood thinks about current political events more than casting a good Horror flick.

Which one of the Women will be chopping off her own hand?

Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8514 upvotes
GTA
Not particularly excited for this.

A lot of people also forgot they remade Evil Dead in 2013. That film wasn't bad movie and did OK, but I think revisiting the franchise is unnecessary. It would be nice if they just put that money into something new and fresh, I'm sure there are so many great potential horror movie stories out there that could be told.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8514 upvotes
GTA
Dhanushan wrote: I thought the 2013 movie "became a box office success"
Sure. It was an OK movie and made good bank. My point was people forget it exists, including myself. I don't automatically associate it with the Evil Dead franchise. If they had changed the character names and movie's title, movie would still have been OK.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3487 upvotes
Victoria
My favourite in the franchise would be Army of Darkness and the tv series. I wonder if this will pickup where the TV series left off? probably not :(
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2249 posts
1274 upvotes
zod wrote: My favourite in the franchise would be Army of Darkness and the tv series. I wonder if this will pickup where the TV series left off? probably not :(
I believe they said they want to get out of the woods for this new movie and bring it to the suburb/city. So, no it won’t involve the series and Bruce has even said he isn’t part of the film, minus producing credits. They said the original movies will still influence the events going forward in this new movie though. I just need to watch the 2013 version myself, as I bought the steelbook of that when it got released way back then
[external link removed]
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
no Bruce...no care..
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8514 upvotes
GTA
Who needs a new movie?

You can even be the bad guys. But then you'd be a d*ck...
c'mon get happy!
Jul 19, 2022
921 posts
1265 upvotes
I just watched this movie, and it is a pretty amazing horror movie.
Not for everyone, but if you like horror, you have to check it out.

I did not pay any attention to this movie before, because I thought it was going to be THE SAME: another cabin, in another forest, another book, another fool starts reading the incantations....

It was surprising to see the same, but different. I assumed they were going to make a mistake, but they got it right. Good job with the plot. But even better, the pace of the movie is very fast at the beginning....

Also good job with the gore, this is a violent, gross movie, with plenty of slashes and gallons and gallons of fake blood. They wanted to take it pretty far.

BUT the casting is the best part. I have watched tons of horror movies before, that used gallons and gallons of fake blood, and you forget about that part sooner or later. What I am not going to forget about 'Evil Dead Rise' is that smiling face.... I am talking about the Ellie character, the tattoo artist single mom, played by actor Alyssa Sutherland. Just add some contact lenses, and some makeup, and she became quite a monster...

She has a beautiful smile, not creepy at all....

Old man Whitfield

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)