• Jun 21st, 2020 1:01 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17423 posts
12773 upvotes
Toronto

HBO 'Watchmen' Damon Lindelof series inspired by the classic graphic novel

The article mentions HBO had previously looked at an adaptation with Zack Snyder a couple years back but obviously nothing came of it (as is possible once again with this renewed interest)

http://deadline.com/2017/06/damon-linde ... 202117245/
Last edited by jenviea on Nov 6th, 2019 7:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
64 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Can a Watchmen TV series work?

Sep 7, 2017
5 posts
Good news it's HBO and they can go dark and catch the mood of the comics. Can you imagine this on NBC?
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10165 posts
8292 upvotes
Toronto
I had heard about this, but did not know Lind was involved.
I just binge watched The Leftovers in December, and really enjoyed it.

My instinct is he is nuts for taking this on, given the strong attachment Fandom has with the comics.
Very curious about what he has in mind. Certainly it can't be a rehash of the comics?

His style (flashbacks, viewing same event from different perspective) would definitely work well for this.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
476 upvotes
Oh if they could get Jackie Earle Haley working on this, that would be awesome. He was a huge standout in the movie.

They will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.”
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17423 posts
12773 upvotes
Toronto
HBO released a new programming promo and something helpfully created a Watchmen only edit

Full promo

Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2471 posts
2945 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly the comic is probably more suited to a tv series than it does a 2 hr movie, but only if they keep tightly to the original story. Why mess with perfection?
Bored...
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
BYan wrote: Honestly the comic is probably more suited to a tv series than it does a 2 hr movie, but only if they keep tightly to the original story. Why mess with perfection?
Perfection? Doctor Manhattan was one poorly devised concept. It'll would have been much better without him.There was no consistency with his character. You can't ever be partially omnipotent.

I think this is in the future right? this could be good and novel vs some form of just rebooting cycle of characters.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2471 posts
2945 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: Perfection? Doctor Manhattan was one poorly devised concept. It'll would have been much better without him.There was no consistency with his character. You can't ever be partially omnipotent.
I mostly read Dr. Manhattan as being fully aware of what was happening/will happen, but by that point he was already so detached from humanity that he just couldn't give two farks and let the whole the play out - at least until Laurie got to him. Also it was mentioned that tachyons or whatever messed with his perception. Can't hurt him, but you can slow him down a little. In any case he's a necessity to the story, considering he's the only one with actual superpowers. The contrasting of all-the-powers VS no-powers couldn't exist without him.
Bored...
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17423 posts
12773 upvotes
Toronto
Who watches this Watchmen?

Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2459 posts
682 upvotes
Ontario
Anyone else watch this. Pretty confusing but seems like it will get better. Trent Reznor should get an emmy!!!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)