Entertainment

HBO Perry Mason (Matthew Rhys Tatiana Maslany noir mystery series)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2020 4:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
13033 posts
4809 upvotes
Toronto

HBO Perry Mason (Matthew Rhys Tatiana Maslany noir mystery series)

A much more noir adaptation than the half century old Raymond Burr version (perhaps that's truer to the books, I don't know)

31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5813 posts
2815 upvotes
Global Village
Rhys, Lithgow, Maslany, they've got a nice cast for this. Robert Downey Jr wanted to play the role for years but Iron Man got in the way.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4828 posts
2724 upvotes
Toronto
Premiered on Sunday.
Liked what I've seen so far.

Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4828 posts
2724 upvotes
Toronto
Huh? I did a search but did not find this thread.
Wonder what I did wrong?
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4560 posts
1470 upvotes
Toronto
Amazing cast and I'm really looking forward to seeing more... But man, this is way more intense than what I remember my grandparents watching.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1666 posts
325 upvotes
BC
Haven't yet watched but doesn't sound like Earle Stanley Gardner's Perry Mason.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
"If you ever doubted yourself, remember, the Stupidest Man on earth became President" Li Ka Shing
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4828 posts
2724 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: Amazing cast and I'm really looking forward to seeing more... But man, this is way more intense than what I remember my grandparents watching.
Haven't even met the character yet, but almost have the feel Tatiana's character will at the very least be indirectly connected to the season's big bad (assuming of course, the arc continues till the end of the season). Very curious how her character will be built up. My instinct is to cringe at the notion of a female spiritual leader (for that era), but need to remind myself that California was an outlier for many things. Secretly, my fingers are crossed (unrealistically) for clone club!!!
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10226 posts
2629 upvotes
Winnipeg
this is a very good period series. very well acted and so far the script is pretty good but how it ends cements that. what i like about this show is the grit. no pretty boys or dames just an ugly culture left to stew in the sun too long and now....it stinks. its got that 'china town' vibe going very well.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4560 posts
1470 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote: I gave up after two episodes but for those who are into, HBO has ordered a second season

https://deadline.com/2020/07/perry-maso ... 202992061/
Same... after two episodes, we kinda stopped watching. I might go back to it later if it gets good word of mouth through the season, but it was just a bit slow to start.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5813 posts
2815 upvotes
Global Village
I've stuck with this and look forward to the transition from PI to ace attorney.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1243 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: Same... after two episodes, we kinda stopped watching. I might go back to it later if it gets good word of mouth through the season, but it was just a bit slow to start.
Same here I watched 2 episodes and lost interest..Very slow series..
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
13033 posts
4809 upvotes
Toronto
RDJ is a fan of the show he's producing (and originally was to portray the title character)

I can't get over lead actor native "accent"
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4828 posts
2724 upvotes
Toronto
Slapshot747 wrote: Same here I watched 2 episodes and lost interest..Very slow series..
Lol - exact same boat - have not watched since e2.
I think I nodded off for that one.
Keep thinking I might go back and hit it, but never do.
OG Mason would have wrapped it all up in an hour.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14266 posts
4015 upvotes
Montréal
Excellent, quality and detailed series. Not slow to me, every episode has its story.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
2909 posts
795 upvotes
I also thought the first two episodes were a slow burn, but it's rounded out to bring a really enjoyable sure. Lithgow elevates any show imo. Only complaint I have is the sister storyline, not enjoying that at all.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14266 posts
4015 upvotes
Montréal
Good news, it's a quality show and I like the team that they formed at the end of s1. Guess the 'Sister' story is not done yet.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>