• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2021 9:37 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1338 posts
1452 upvotes
$7.50 USD/month = ~$10 CDN.
~$8 CDN / month for VPN

so $18/month for 6-months - if your VPN works...

I think that's too much risk/headache for a THEORETICALLY LEGIT SUB?

maybe REAL DEBRID would be less headache/trouble?
Last edited by frugal69 on Sep 19th, 2021 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 4, 2017
133 posts
108 upvotes
For anyone in Canada that is subbed to Netflix, Prime, and Crave + HBO its worth looking into Telus. I managed to negotiate the Optik 11 theme pack + 2 premium pack to $79/month. So after you remove the cost of the streaming services they include you are paying $32.04 for cable. I was a heavy pirate before with a dedicated Jellyfin server and gigabit line mainly for HBO stuff. But if you have parents that are going to order cable anyways just manage it for them then share the streaming accounts. On top of that you get the Optik app you can use to stream live TV at your place. It also has a pretty decent catalogue of TV shows to stream on demand.

$79.00 / Optik 11 theme + 2 PVR
(18.99) / Netflix Premium
(7.99) / Amazon prime
(19.98) / Crave + HBO + Movies
----------
$32.04 /Total
Last edited by freeloader247 on Sep 20th, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
2358 posts
2619 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wriggler wrote: Bypassing a geo block is just like cross border shopping, the rights holder still gets paid. Piracy is just theft.
I would download a car.
Sep 25, 2012
71 posts
115 upvotes
Ruciz wrote: No. It's not like that at all. You're technically stealing from the Canadian rights holder who paid for the distribution rights by bypassing HBOs geo-block. Not at all the fallacy you present.
As a side note, sticking it to Bell makes me want to bypass them even more. I hate how you have to subscribe to base Crave and addon HBO at the same price as the base subscription. Getting HBO in Canada ends up costing way more than any other subscription service.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
9968 posts
11363 upvotes
Toronto
hi-tech wrote: If they would allow this Canada it would take out Netflix, crave and all of the traditional cable providers within a year.
Who is they?

Warner Bros. management? Content rights holders? Production companies that sell the rights to their content internationally?

Bell Media Seals Long-Term Deal with Warner Bros. International Television Distribution to Bring HBO Max Original Programming to Canada — October 30, 2019
The agreement extends Bell Media’s programming partnership with HBO, one of the world’s most prestigious entertainment brands, expanding the company’s HBO content offering on its SVOD service, Crave, and reinforcing Bell Media’s commitment to delivering the most sought-after programming in the world. It also establishes a new alliance with HBO Max, making original series from the highly anticipated new service available to Canadians via Crave and Bell Media’s suite of CTV-branded platforms.

The deal extends the pay TV rights for Warner Bros first-run feature films adding to the strong relationship already in place between Warner Bros. and CTV for network series, and with Bell Media’s specialty services for cable series.

Warner Bros. could end this agreement, pay substantial financial penalties and launch HBO Max in Canada,
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
9968 posts
11363 upvotes
Toronto
"HBO Max is letting anyone in the U.S. watch Season 1 of groundbreaking Jersey crime drama “The Sopranos” — for free in the app — for a limited time. The promo is timed for the release of film prequel “The Many Saints of Newark” on Oct. 1 simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max. The film will be available on the HBO Max ad-free plan ($14.99/month) for 31 days after release."
From https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/s ... 235073529/
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2011
2422 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
karyuudo wrote: It's easier to just hit the high seas and keep some money in your pocket.
When its harder to access through the legal methods, more time consuming, and in some cases, you still have to watch ads, its really easy to make that decision lol
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2016
1798 posts
863 upvotes
BC
this can be done if you have itunes US... and subscribing thru itunes...
this will appear as a trial for 6 months at $7.49 US...
I use smartdns so VPN is not required to watch hbo max...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
6072 posts
9932 upvotes
Comox Valley , BC
gundamwingZero wrote: this can be done if you have itunes US... and subscribing thru itunes...
this will appear as a trial for 6 months at $7.49 US...
I use smartdns so VPN is not required to watch hbo max...
I have itunes USA - where can you signup to HBO max thru itunes? All I see on my iphone is the app to download and then you have to sign up thru the app , not itunes..

I think you could for the older HBO Go or HBO Now app but they eliminated that option for HBO Max
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2016
1798 posts
863 upvotes
BC
pathfinder35 wrote: I have itunes USA - where can you signup to HBO max thru itunes? All I see on my iphone is the app to download and then you have to sign up thru the app , not itunes..

I think you could for the older HBO Go or HBO Now app but they eliminated that option for HBO Max
I believe it is in the payment method, past the create account...
you can check here:

this what shows in my itunes account, quite confusing especially the statement at the bottom but I will see it on Oct 24 I guess:
itunes.jpg
Jan 2, 2009
165 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver
I scooped this deal and wondered why my email didn't verify. I contacted the rep and it turned into 20 questions about how I was paying (GC, Google Play etc...). At that point I deleted the chat and no problems since. (Snyder version of Justice League is so much better)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
6072 posts
9932 upvotes
Comox Valley , BC
gundamwingZero wrote: I believe it is in the payment method, past the create account...
you can check here:

this what shows in my itunes account, quite confusing especially the statement at the bottom but I will see it on Oct 24 I guess:
itunes.jpg
Ok - you're right - it's after the create account. But I selected the ad free $14.99 half price plan but Itunes charged me $14.99 (pending) - it was suppose to $7.49...I thought I picked the right plan on the screen...maybe I didn't...the screenshot doesn't list the half price plan likes yours...
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19536 posts
2177 upvotes
HBO Max works flawlessly with NordVPN FYI

I pay through a US Google account. I pay with my Canadian card, zero issues
Last edited by brunes on Sep 26th, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Dec 11, 2013
131 posts
157 upvotes
Windsor, ON
brunes wrote: HBO Max works flawlessly with NordVPN FYI
Same for me. I run my VPN at the router and the 1 time I had an issue with connection, I jumped on with support and they gave me server info for one that is known to work.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1983 posts
959 upvotes
Home
Ruciz wrote: No. It's not like that at all. You're technically stealing from the Canadian rights holder who paid for the distribution rights by bypassing HBOs geo-block. Not at all the fallacy you present.
The same logic would apply to the canadian distributor of brick and mortar products as well. So it is very similar, I guess both situations are in the wrong then.
Nov 12, 2017
587 posts
475 upvotes
exiles2021 wrote: Same for me. I run my VPN at the router and the 1 time I had an issue with connection, I jumped on with support and they gave me server info for one that is known to work.
Do you use Chromecast? Are you able to cast HBO Max to your TV?
Dec 11, 2013
131 posts
157 upvotes
Windsor, ON
krispy4 wrote: Do you use Chromecast? Are you able to cast HBO Max to your TV?
I use Apple TV or watch right on my iPad

I have 2 routers though - 1 for “Canadian” stuff and 1 running the VPN for “US” stuff. I haven’t done it but I assume if I had a Chromecast and it was on the “US” network, then it should work without issue as long as the device casting to it was on the “US” network.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
6072 posts
9932 upvotes
Comox Valley , BC
Just to followup on my previous post, I received the following email from HBO Max today. Being charged full price was an error on Apple/HBO Max's part:

Of course, I cancelled my subscription so now I don't know if I resubscribe, what price I would be charged now that the sale is over...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)