Entertainment

HBO's The Nevers - Joss Whedon Returns to TV and Then Leaves... S1 P2 in 2022 on HBO Max

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2021 10:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19020 posts
2333 upvotes

HBO's The Nevers - Joss Whedon Returns to TV and Then Leaves... S1 P2 in 2022 on HBO Max

Joss Whedon is heading back to the small screen with new HBO sci-fi series, The Nevers.
https://screenrant.com/joss-whedon-hbo- ... he-nevers/
“I honestly couldn’t be more excited. The Nevers is maybe the most ambitious narrative I’ve created, and I can’t imagine a better home for it than HBO. Not only are they the masters of cinematic long-form, but their instant understanding of my odd, intimate epic was as emotional as it was incisive. It’s been too long since I created an entirely new fictional world, and the HBO team offer not just scope and experience, not just ‘prestige,’ but a passionate collaboration. I could go on, but — I’m impatiently grateful to say — I have work to do.”
Last edited by Haz on Jun 29th, 2021 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
23 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22902 posts
4381 upvotes
Toronto

This looks intriguing - I'm game to watch anything new nowadays (& given Ontario is entering another 4 week lockdown) - I hear this is like a Victorian Buffy The Vampire Slayer? Interesting......

Kinda reminds me of The League Of Extraordinary GentleWomen

Last edited by ji2o0k on Apr 2nd, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
4968 posts
1494 upvotes
Toronto
I've been waiting for this to come out. I hope it doesn't stink.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16932 posts
8996 upvotes
Ottawa
Mr. Robo wrote: I've been waiting for this to come out. I hope it doesn't stink.
Yah....my favorite powered being show is The Boys, and I'm hoping this will help fill the void until the next season drops. This feels a bit different due to the female leads, and period setting. I hope it balances some good action with a fun story.
<insert sig>
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
7541 posts
4420 upvotes
Global Village
Created by Joss Whedon. The lead actress looks like a younger, British Anne Hathaway to me.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3416 posts
2123 upvotes
B.C.
It sounds a bit like "Penny Dreadful" to me, especially the first season. If it's anything like that, it should be great!
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22902 posts
4381 upvotes
Toronto
turns out my wifey isn't a fan of the period (merry Ol' England)........

I watched about 15mins but it was late last night...............seemed ok to me.....didn't wow me though......will finish tonight!

Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3416 posts
2123 upvotes
B.C.
ji2o0k wrote: turns out my wifey isn't a fan of the period (merry Ol' England)........

I watched about 15mins but it was late last night...............seemed ok to me.....didn't wow me though......will finish tonight!
I'm glad you're going to finish it. It's like Joss Whedon's version of "X-Men" if most of them were women in London in the late 1890s LOL. It looks amazing and it really grabbed both hubby and I. There's quite a bit of action also. It starts taking off about 10-15 minutes in, so maybe even your wife might like it if she tries it again. :-)
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22902 posts
4381 upvotes
Toronto
^ finished it last night, entertaining.....will continue to watch!

Kinda like Xmen mashed up with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...

Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16932 posts
8996 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure about this one.....the pilot felt overstuffed....It was a bit hard to understand maybe because I was tired and sometimes the accents throws me off. Premise is interesting so will continue to give it a chance.
<insert sig>
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3416 posts
2123 upvotes
B.C.
warpdrive wrote: Not sure about this one.....the pilot felt overstuffed....It was a bit hard to understand maybe because I was tired and sometimes the accents throws me off. Premise is interesting so will continue to give it a chance.
FWIW -- I never watch any Brit or Aussie stuff without subtitles. It makes a huge difference to understand everything people are saying without straining to do it. In particular, these period shows often have old-timey jargon. So not only is there a struggle with the accent, but they're saying things that are unusual.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
7541 posts
4420 upvotes
Global Village
Watched the pilot last night, it's very ambitious, over the top at times and overly fast paced but imaginative and visually impressive. I'll keep watching.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
14377 posts
6836 upvotes
Toronto
Is the pilot end reveal divisive?
It's fine by me hearkens back to some big SF like Close Encounters or The Abyss
I can imagine the reception if they'd left it til the end of the series but that's not the main mystery (or maybe it is at a different angle?)
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22902 posts
4381 upvotes
Toronto
I also have to watch with subtitles - can't catch everything that is said in yee merry ol' English accent................

yeah not sure how they will explain that some alien stardust mainly affected women & some select men? Sprinkled with a touch of amnesia as well....

Cmon ep.2!!!

Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16932 posts
8996 upvotes
Ottawa
i think ep 2 was better, it was easier to watch... but it could have been trimmed a bit (the parts about the sex club seemed out of place, not sure what that has to do with anything). I watched with subtitles this time and it made a huge difference.
<insert sig>
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
14377 posts
6836 upvotes
Toronto
I thought that character was meant to be important moving forward, I guess she still is her fate affecting the other characters.
The lake fight was interesting. They mostly avoided shots where it's obvious the guy's walking on a transparent plank
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1456 posts
812 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
Watched 2 episodes so far and really enjoying it.
I absolutely love period pieces.
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
14377 posts
6836 upvotes
Toronto
Caught up on the last two episodes that close the first half of the season
No idea when the second half will resume but lots of things to ruminate on while waiting I guess
So much misfortune for the pretouch Molly
A terrible fate for Sarah caused a betrayal of sorts

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)