Entertainment

HBO's Stephen King Miniseries 'The Outsider' - January 2020

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2020 3:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 24, 2004
7232 posts
2068 upvotes
Toronto (Central)

HBO's Stephen King Miniseries 'The Outsider' - January 2020

Despite the True Deterctive vibes, the actual story is quite different. Trailer and people involved behind the camera look promising. Crossing fingers.

54 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 21, 2015
3049 posts
2936 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Based on a Stephen KIng bestseller, which I have not read.
3 episodes out so far. Just binged watched all 3. What an amazing show! Hooked from the first few min of episode 1.
4th episode airs tomorrow night.
Wish HBO released all episodes at once. This waiting game isn't working for me.

This show seems to be underrated. I only accidentally stumbled upon it while google searching for shows to watch in 2020. It was buried in some list.

Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10399 posts
2756 upvotes
Winnipeg
never read the book or story so no spoiler posts.

But yes...its very good.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1518 posts
1383 upvotes
Really enjoyed the first 3 episodes so far. The show keeps you guessing. Plus I can listen to Ben Mendelsohn's voice for hours.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 21, 2015
3049 posts
2936 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just watched episode 4 and it didn't dissapoint. Getting more interesting with every episode. Based on a King novel, I've had a suspicion about what's going on since episode 1, as I'm sure others, who are familiar with his work, have had too ... Pieces are now falling in place. Hoping for some more twists.

Can't believe we gotta wait another 7 days for the next one! Netflix has spoiled me with their binge release format.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2008
1431 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
Binged this on Sat night. Amazing show so far
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1518 posts
1383 upvotes
carmageddon wrote: Just watched episode 4 and it didn't dissapoint. Getting more interesting with every episode. Based on a King novel, I've had a suspicion about what's going on since episode 1, as I'm sure others, who are familiar with his work, have had too ... Pieces are now falling in place. Hoping for some more twists.

Can't believe we gotta wait another 7 days for the next one! Netflix has spoiled me with their binge release format.
Yeah Netflix definitely spoiled us. Kinda wish all episodes were already out. I didn't get a chance to watch the last one with how late it was out. Going to check it out once I get back from work.
I have a vague idea on what's going on so far, it sounds like ep. 4 will provide some answers.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 24, 2004
7232 posts
2068 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
SPOILER

In the second episode, they buy 2 caskets (as a discount is mentioned) and then the older son is killed.
Did the family/older son plan the attempted assassination on Terry or was there another reason that this happened that I didn't catch?

SPOILER
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 21, 2015
3049 posts
2936 upvotes
Toronto, ON
newt_101 wrote: SPOILER

In the second episode, they buy 2 caskets (as a discount is mentioned) and then the older son is killed.
Did the family/older son plan the attempted assassination on Terry or was there another reason that this happened that I didn't catch?

SPOILER
SPOILER

2 caskets - one for the mother and another for the younger kid that died in episode one.
Dead older son goes in casket 3.

SPOILER
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 9, 2003
24795 posts
1908 upvotes
Markham, ON
this series is as good as S1 True Detective...and S1 Mindhunter
Member
Sep 3, 2018
302 posts
162 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote: this series is as good as S1 True Detective...and S1 Mindhunter
Wow need to get on this asap then. Haven't even started with True Detective S3. S2 was such a jumbled mess and a snooze fest.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1518 posts
1383 upvotes
carmageddon wrote: SPOILER

2 caskets - one for the mother and another for the younger kid that died in episode one.
Dead older son goes in casket 3.

SPOILER
SPOILER
I must have missed about the mother. How did she die? I also thought they were buying one in advance knowing one of them will die trying to avenge younger bros death. I know dad hung himself, was saved but got turned into a vegetable due to oxygen's deprivation to the brain.
What a tragic way that family self-destructed. Could have persevered though it.
SPOILER
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 21, 2015
3049 posts
2936 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hindenburg1 wrote: SPOILER
I must have missed about the mother. How did she die? I also thought they were buying one in advance knowing one of them will die trying to avenge younger bros death. I know dad hung himself, was saved but got turned into a vegetable due to oxygen's deprivation to the brain.
What a tragic way that family self-destructed. Could have persevered though it.
SPOILER
SPOILER

Kid's Mom experiences a heart attack right after she starts smashing things, grieving for her son. After that is when the father and brother go buy 2 caskets.
Brother is wrecked having lost 2 family members, tries to off Terry and gets killed. Then the father becomes a vegetable.
I don't think the father knew that his son is going to off Terry, else he would've been there with him.
Episode 4 explains why the self destruction is important.

SPOILER
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10399 posts
2756 upvotes
Winnipeg
spoiler







I have suspicions of the ex-detective security officer. He just doesn't fit. Too conveniently placed. He's been too helpful regardless of obvious intent which doesn't feel totally genuine almost like he's staging her. He just seems too overly helpful. Suppose he's not what we think he is maybe scratched?? I dunno the prison interview sure showed us what she should be wary of.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10399 posts
2756 upvotes
Winnipeg
carmageddon wrote: SPOILER

Kid's Mom experiences a heart attack right after she starts smashing things, grieving for her son. After that is when the father and brother go buy 2 caskets.
Brother is wrecked having lost 2 family members, tries to off Terry and gets killed. Then the father becomes a vegetable.
I don't think the father knew that his son is going to off Terry, else he would've been there with him.
Episode 4 explains why the self destruction is important.

SPOILER
Why would the hooded guy tell the girl to tell them to stop investigating if he's...............part of "why the self destruction is important"? why warn? why give any heads up?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 21, 2015
3049 posts
2936 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lead wrote: SPOILER

Why would the hooded guy tell the girl to tell them to stop investigating if he's...............part of "why the self destruction is important"? why warn? why give any heads up?

SPOILER
SPOILER

I think it's because before Terry, all his crimes went according to plan. Someone else got blamed and served his sentence, and he got away with no one ever suspecting him.
He tried his best to frame Terry (remember him posing for the cameras to plaster Terry's face all over right after the crime ?) He thought he would get away again and Terry would take the fall.
Only this time the cops are on to him. So I'm guessing it's his way of scaring the cops into really stop investigating him. He's showing them that he can get to the children and harm them easily ... it's a threat.
This is just a guess. They haven't really revealed it yet. We're only 4 episodes in. Hoping there's a lot more twists and answers to come.

SPOILER
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10399 posts
2756 upvotes
Winnipeg
carmageddon wrote: SPOILER

I think it's because before Terry, all his crimes went according to plan. Someone else got blamed and served his sentence, and he got away with no one ever suspecting him.
He tried his best to frame Terry (remember him posing for the cameras to plaster Terry's face all over right after the crime ?) He thought he would get away again and Terry would take the fall.
Only this time the cops are on to him. So I'm guessing it's his way of scaring the cops into really stop investigating him. He's showing them that he can get to the children and harm them easily ... it's a threat.
This is just a guess. They haven't really revealed it yet. We're only 4 episodes in. Hoping there's a lot more twists and answers to come.

SPOILER
it would only push them harder, Its total existence depends on anonymity lose that its game over. I see 2 other potential explanations 1) since the girl said at one point its saying bad things about her dad to make her angry. Maybe its not grief but its antagonizing them to become angrier to do bad things. 2) the hooded guy maybe is not as complicit as first thought. Maybe it doesn't watch for grief or anger maybe its forced to participate for some reason like its a sibling? or blackmailed, controlled? well see. dam this was totally a binge watch show that burns a weekend.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 21, 2015
3049 posts
2936 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lead wrote: it would only push them harder, Its total existence depends on anonymity lose that its game over. I see 2 other potential explanations 1) since the girl said at one point its saying bad things about her dad to make her angry. Maybe its not grief but its antagonizing them to become angrier to do bad things. 2) the hooded guy maybe is not as complicit as first thought. Maybe it doesn't watch for grief or anger maybe its forced to participate for some reason like its a sibling? or blackmailed, controlled? well see. dam this was totally a binge watch show that burns a weekend.
All valid possibilities. Eager to find out more.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1518 posts
1383 upvotes
Just finished ep.4

SPOILER
So if I understood it correctly, there is a hooded guy that goes around impersonating innocent people and committing murders and an evil spirit that spreads through scratching skin. Are they both part of the same entity "El Cuco"? What is the purpose of this evil spirit that jumps from person to person through scratching? How does it create the suffering so effecively? Peterson family self-destructed very quickly. I don't think the spirit jumped to them.
Also what is that thing that entered Jack Hoskins (crappy cop with an attitude)? Is that El Cuco as well or something separate?
SPOILER
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 21, 2015
3049 posts
2936 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hindenburg1 wrote: Just finished ep.4

SPOILER
So if I understood it correctly, there is a hooded guy that goes around impersonating innocent people and committing murders and an evil spirit that spreads through scratching skin. Are they both part of the same entity "El Cuco"? What is the purpose of this evil spirit that jumps from person to person through scratching? How does it create the suffering so effecively? Peterson family self-destructed very quickly. I don't think the spirit jumped to them.
Also what is that thing that entered Jack Hoskins (crappy cop with an attitude)? Is that El Cuco as well or something separate?
SPOILER
SPOILER

Hmm, I must've missed the part about the evil spirit. I thought it's just 'El cuco' that needs to make physical contact (like a scratch) with the person it wants to impersonate. It's like a shape shifter I think.
I'm also curious about knowing how it creates the suffering effectively.
I didn't think anything entered the cop. I thought he was scratched or made physical contact with. Maybe 'El Cuco' is/will impersonate him next ?

SPOILER

Top