HCLN Clean Energy ETF TSX

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2021 6:43 am
12 replies
May 31, 2018
952 posts
2441 upvotes
Saskatchewan
The more I read about the overall energy costs of renewables right now as well as ESG investing, the more it seems like people think you can simply pick up a turd by the clean end.

Good looking ETF though as far as getting into that market goes. Will watch it closely as it might be a easy way to ride the wave.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
10621 posts
8608 upvotes
Winnipeg
FarmerHarv wrote: The more I read about the overall energy costs of renewables right now as well as ESG investing, the more it seems like people think you can simply pick up a turd by the clean end.

Good looking ETF though as far as getting into that market goes. Will watch it closely as it might be a easy way to ride the wave.
Some of the names in the top 10 scare me tho. I'm monitoring this too. I remember buying plug at $7 in the summer.. then selling at $12 and thought it was good.

I still think individual picks would be better..
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Apr 12, 2019
190 posts
166 upvotes
Already started my ride.... 150 shares... This should be safe
Nov 24, 2016
637 posts
849 upvotes
I'm interested too.

I have a dillema though... I would not invest in any of the individual names at these valuations so would it make sense for me to buy the etf? Hm.....

I mean, it's equal weighted so that's one reason. But still... No sure what to do.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
2348 posts
1834 upvotes
Ontario
faken wrote: Some of the names in the top 10 scare me tho. I'm monitoring this too. I remember buying plug at $7 in the summer.. then selling at $12 and thought it was good.

I still think individual picks would be better..
I have some interest in HCLN just for a momentum holding. I picked up MSOS the morning after the Georgia elections and it has been great. You don't have to know anything about these industries, individual stock risk is somewhat mitigated and you just ride it until the momentum deflates and then try to get out as quick as you can. Of course these things will fall like a rock in a correction, so you should be ready to sell on a moment's notice, but it is a pretty lazy way of trying to get in on the ridiculous momentum behind trendy industries.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2008
1675 posts
1462 upvotes
I picked up 500 as I have a bunch of C$ cash sitting and need to do something with it. I'll give this a few months to see how it does. I already have a fair bit of RNW so there's some duplication across my accts

OT @FarmerHarv is that a Steiger in your pic?
May 31, 2018
952 posts
2441 upvotes
Saskatchewan
shadowsteve wrote: I picked up 500 as I have a bunch of C$ cash sitting and need to do something with it. I'll give this a few months to see how it does. I already have a fair bit of RNW so there's some duplication across my accts

OT @FarmerHarv is that a Steiger in your pic?
Yessir. Good eye. Trusty old 1986 CR-1280 Cougar, getting towards the last of the lime green before Case IH bought them out and started painting them red. As scheduled, 5th gear committed suicide at 5000 hours (Allis Chalmers transmission design flaw) so it didn’t quite make it all the way to the end of my farming career. Got over 2 decades with her though, and finished up with a Versatile model.

Sort of on topic, friends of ours live on the little island of Montserrat (pop ~6000) and apparently the gov’t has just instituted an electric vehicle purchase incentive policy and installed the island’s first EV charging station. Great news everyone thinks, except for the fact that the entire island is powered by diesel generators and all of the fuel has to be shipped in. The power grid is also aging and they constantly have brown- and black-outs, not the best setup to charge your car. But hey, they’re going green, so it must be good. Right?
Jun 2, 2020
996 posts
1057 upvotes
V5y1v1
Badman wrote: HCLN vs ICLN?
I was actually just looking at this since I'm currently a holder of ICLN, I'll break it down what I have so far - please anyone feel free to add in.

MER:
ICLN: 0.46%
HCLN: 0.40%

Currency:
ICLN: USD
HCLN: CAD (unhedged)

Holdings:
HCLN: 40 (equal weight)
ICLN: 30 (unequal weight - 11% max, 0.35% min)

Geo Dist'n:
similar world dist'n except US/CAD
ICLN: 36.9% US then drops to ~10% (china), Canada @ 5.7%
HCLN: 27% US, 12.4%, Canada, 9.9% China

Sector breakdown:
ICLN: 47% renewable power generation, 28% solar, 23% batteries, wind and hydrogen, 2% biofuel
HCLN: 50% renewable power generation, 25% solar, 25% batteries, wind and hydrogen

Holdings:

very similar overall

Both hold:
PLUG POWER INC
MERIDIAN ENERGY LTD
VERBUND AG
CONTACT ENERGY LTD
ORMAT TECH INC
EDP RENOVAVEIS SA
ORSTED
SCATEC SOLAR
BORALEX INC CLASS A
INNERGEX RENEWABLE ENERGY INC
ENCAVIS AG
NEOEN SA
ATLANTICA SUSTAINABLE INFRASTRUCTU
SOLARIA ENERGIA Y MEDIO AMBIENTE S
ENPHASE ENERGY INC
XINYI SOLAR HOLDINGS LTD
FIRST SOLAR INC
SUNRUN INC
DAQO NEW ENERGY ADR REPRESENTING
SOLAREDGE TECHNOLOGIES INC
SIEMENS GAMESA RENEWABLE ENERGY SA
VESTAS WIND SYSTEMS

Only ICLN Holds
RENEWABLE ENERGY INC
POWERCELL SWEDEN
DOOSAN FUEL CELL LTD
COMPANHIA ENERGETICA MINAS GERAIS
COMPANHIA PARANAENSE DE ENERGIA AD
ENLIGHT RENEWABLE ENERGY LTD
CANADIAN SOLAR INC
SUNNOVA ENERGY INTERNATIONAL INC

Only HCLN Holds
XINYI ENERGY
NORTHLAND POWER
BROOKFIELD RENEWABLES
ERG
TRANSALTA RENEWABLES
MERCURY
INFRATIL
LONGYUAN POWER
SUNPOWER
GCL
ARRAY TECHNOLOGIES
VARTA
ENERSYS
BALLARD
ITM POWER
NEL
FUELCELL ENERGY

Overall Impressions:
ICLN holds no battery tech and is light on fuel cells, HLCN holds no biofuel
ICLN holds a bunch of plug, potentially because it's gone for a run and the ETF hasn't rebalanced
HCLN holds a lot more Canadian companies
Overall pretty similar

For me the increased # of holdings, good Canadian names and slightly better MER make HCLN a better choice.

I will likely switch over to HCLN for a long-time hold.
Last edited by PaddyM77101 on Jan 14th, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
8163 posts
5041 upvotes
Vancouver
I dipped my toes in at 250 shares today. I do hold some individual renewable energy stocks, but wanted something with a broad exposure.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2817 posts
2441 upvotes
Toronto
PaddyM77101 wrote: I was actually just looking at this since I'm currently a holder of ICLN, I'll break it down what I have so far - please anyone feel free to add in.

MER:
ICLN: 0.46%
HCLN: 0.40%

Currency:
ICLN: USD
HCLN: CAD (unhedged)

Holdings:
HCLN: 40 (equal weight)
ICLN: 30 (unequal weight - 11% max, 0.35% min)

Geo Dist'n:
similar world dist'n except US/CAD
ICLN: 36.9% US then drops to ~10% (china), Canada @ 5.7%
HCLN: 27% US, 12.4%, Canada, 9.9% China

Sector breakdown:
ICLN: 47% renewable power generation, 28% solar, 23% batteries, wind and hydrogen, 2% biofuel
HCLN: 50% renewable power generation, 25% solar, 25% batteries, wind and hydrogen

Holdings:

very similar overall

Both hold:
PLUG POWER INC
MERIDIAN ENERGY LTD
VERBUND AG
CONTACT ENERGY LTD
ORMAT TECH INC
EDP RENOVAVEIS SA
ORSTED
SCATEC SOLAR
BORALEX INC CLASS A
INNERGEX RENEWABLE ENERGY INC
ENCAVIS AG
NEOEN SA
ATLANTICA SUSTAINABLE INFRASTRUCTU
SOLARIA ENERGIA Y MEDIO AMBIENTE S
ENPHASE ENERGY INC
XINYI SOLAR HOLDINGS LTD
FIRST SOLAR INC
SUNRUN INC
DAQO NEW ENERGY ADR REPRESENTING
SOLAREDGE TECHNOLOGIES INC
SIEMENS GAMESA RENEWABLE ENERGY SA
VESTAS WIND SYSTEMS

Only ICLN Holds
RENEWABLE ENERGY INC
POWERCELL SWEDEN
DOOSAN FUEL CELL LTD
COMPANHIA ENERGETICA MINAS GERAIS
COMPANHIA PARANAENSE DE ENERGIA AD
ENLIGHT RENEWABLE ENERGY LTD
CANADIAN SOLAR INC
SUNNOVA ENERGY INTERNATIONAL INC

Only HCLN Holds
XINYI ENERGY
NORTHLAND POWER
BROOKFIELD RENEWABLES
ERG
TRANSALTA RENEWABLES
MERCURY
INFRATIL
LONGYUAN POWER
SUNPOWER
GCL
ARRAY TECHNOLOGIES
VARTA
ENERSYS
BALLARD
ITM POWER
NEL
FUELCELL ENERGY

Overall Impressions:
ICLN holds no battery tech and is light on fuel cells, HLCN holds no biofuel
ICLN holds a bunch of plug, potentially because it's gone for a run and the ETF hasn't rebalanced
HCLN holds a lot more Canadian companies
Overall pretty similar

For me the increased # of holdings, good Canadian names and slightly better MER make HCLN a better choice.

I will likely switch over to HCLN for a long-time hold.
Nice comparison!