• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2010 9:42 am
[OP]
Mar 26, 2006
240 posts
32 upvotes
Waterloo

[Home Depot] HD: Makita BHP452HW -18V Li-Ion Hammer Drill -120$ HOT

Looks like good deal and was not shared yet even so it runs already for at least 5 days and not dead yet.
It is clearance items, so stock is limited to location, and most stores even not aware about that deal.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber

I came across that deal after getting RIDGID one for 89$.
Even so Ridgid looks like really solid drill and lifetime warranty on a battery is just amazing, but it has some downsides (as for me):
1) No hammer option - even so corded hammer drills is the proper way to go, but if you use it just occasionally for home use, portable one could be good option.
2) Using it as a driver is not best idea if you depend on torque control.
Even so it has a huge torque selection - 26 position - they do not work in reality as you expect!!!
My old drill with 25 positions is amazing in controlling torque but with Ridgid on first gear torque control does not work at all, and on second it just too insensitive - after 6-8 mark it just too strong.
So perfect drill - but bad driver for home use.
It is normal for that drill: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29082

On other hand Makita looks and feels really good.
As some reviewers stated it is not best in each separate class but perfect as universal compact drill especially for that price.

Set comes with charger, case and 2*Li-Ion 1,5Ah batteries.
It is the same drill as BHP452 but with 1,5Ah batteries instead 3Ah - not big deal for home especially with 2 of them.
And it is the same like BDF452 but with Hummer drill option on top.

As a note, it was reported that battery had problem in early models but looks like was solved in 2009.

Some reviews:
http://professional-power-tool-guide.co ... ew-bhp452/
http://topcordlessdrillreviews.com/maki ... nt-page-1/
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/review ... rdless.htm

Have a successful hunting time :)
21 replies
Jul 29, 2008
337 posts
72 upvotes
Regina
I saw this deal and it looks pretty sweet. I own the drill and impact driver set that matches this hammerdrill so I was tempted to do it.

But instead, Home Depot has also dropped the price on their DeWalt corded hammerdrill to $99, so I bought that. Considering what abuse a hammerdrill goes through, I just ddn't like the idea of a cordless option. Corded gives you the power and you don't have to worry about killing your batteries.

I used my Dewalt (511) this weekend to drill 16 3/8x3" holds into concrete and the thing was a workhorse.

So I would recommend the Dewalt corded in this case, at $99.

But if you do want cordless, it won't get much better than this Makita at that price. The batteries and chargers alone are worth that much.
May 27, 2006
192 posts
90 upvotes
Thanks OP. Picked one up at the local HD. Think it was the last one though.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1615 posts
329 upvotes
Maple, ON
Makita it is good brand, professionals use it.
Jun 5, 2008
297 posts
46 upvotes
TORONTO
i cant remember which is which, but the difference between the white and blue li-ion makitas is battery life

i think the white has a smaller amp-hour rating on the batteries
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
2620 posts
1148 upvotes
GTA
breakfasteatre wrote: i cant remember which is which, but the difference between the white and blue li-ion makitas is battery life

i think the white has a smaller amp-hour rating on the batteries
White one is 1.5 amp & blue is 3 amp.. Double the capacity
‎3 Apples that changed the world: the one that Eve ate, the one that fell on Newton's head and the one that Steve Jobs built.
R.I.P Steve jobs...!!
Oct 8, 2007
376 posts
64 upvotes
I bought the Ridgid 18v 2 weeks ago at 89$ but Im now wondering if I should pick this one instead. Can we disable the hammer in these drill ?

I will be primary using it to drill screw in wood, is it overkill ?
Jul 29, 2008
337 posts
72 upvotes
Regina
densil_lopez wrote: White one is 1.5 amp & blue is 3 amp.. Double the capacity
No that's not true. I, as well as my brother in-law, both bought blue sets last year and they came with 1.5A batteries.

I don't think the colour is representative of the battery amperage...they're just different colours.
Jul 29, 2008
337 posts
72 upvotes
Regina
mightydrake wrote: I bought the Ridgid 18v 2 weeks ago at 89$ but Im now wondering if I should pick this one instead. Can we disable the hammer in these drill ?

It's overkill if you will never use the hammer function and only ever screw into wood. That being said, the Makita's are usually lighter and balanced better than any other drills...so you might find that, even though this is a hammer drill, it's more comfortable and not much heavier than the Ridgid you bought. If that was the case, the Makita would be the way to go for sure.

Makita makes incredible drills. I would likely buy it over the Ridgid even if it didn't have the hammerdrill. But the Ridgid has the lifetime batteries which is pretty sweet.
May 27, 2006
192 posts
90 upvotes
mightydrake wrote: I bought the Ridgid 18v 2 weeks ago at 89$ but Im now wondering if I should pick this one instead. Can we disable the hammer in these drill ?

The hammer function can be disabled. You can choose the drill's function either as hammer, drilling (torque settings disabled I think) and driving.

This drill is very light and compact, a real bonus when drilling in tight or awkward positions where you can quickly develop arm fatigue.

The two batteries it comes with are lighter duty 1.5AH lithium ion batts, however, they recharge in 15 minutes with the fan cooled diagnostic quick charger that comes with the kit.

Good luck hunting for those still looking.
Oct 8, 2007
376 posts
64 upvotes
Just called at home depot in Quebec, They looked on computer and said this is sold-out everywhere in Canada. Too late but thanks op.
Aug 13, 2009
323 posts
33 upvotes
There were three left at the Bradford store after I bought one yesterday.
[OP]
Mar 26, 2006
240 posts
32 upvotes
Waterloo

As other people mentioned before, yes in that drill you can easily switch between Hammer, Driving and Drilling functions and it is done much better then in Ridgid. Also bare in mind even so you don't need hammer drill feature, it could be handy to have one eventually.

Makita is more comfortable, versatile and has 2 batteries instead of one for
just 35$ on top, but Ridgid has lifetime warranty.... so decisions to be made.

I have both drills right now as had no time to return Ridgid, and decided to stick with Makita.
mightydrake wrote: Just called at home depot in Quebec, They looked on computer and said this is sold-out everywhere in Canada. Too late but thanks op.
I would never trust such statement especially regarding whole Canada.
When I was looking for mine in one store they told me that other store has still 6 in stock, but when I came to that other store first they told me they never heard about such deal, but after spent like 15 minutes to find one box sitting somewhere far on top shelf. So better check your local HD before making any conclusions.
Aug 16, 2005
701 posts
104 upvotes
Noohspam wrote: The hammer function can be disabled. You can choose the drill's function either as hammer, drilling (torque settings disabled I think) and driving.

This drill is very light and compact, a real bonus when drilling in tight or awkward positions where you can quickly develop arm fatigue.

The two batteries it comes with are lighter duty 1.5AH lithium ion batts, however, they recharge in 15 minutes with the fan cooled diagnostic quick charger that comes with the kit.

Good luck hunting for those still looking.
I went to Markham location. They don't have the Mikita. No one supposidely has it.

Oh well. No drill for me.

mark
Dec 2, 2009
31 posts
Toronto
Thanks OP. I picked the last one up at the Yorkdale HD yesterday.
FYI, there were two left at the Caledonia HD two days ago, but price scan was $269 and the store manager refused to sell it for $120.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3487 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
went to Home Depot in Mississauga and couldn't find none of the deals. I guess their all sold out or back to regular price by now.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2008
1157 posts
273 upvotes
Ottawa
Chaps wrote: No that's not true. I, as well as my brother in-law, both bought blue sets last year and they came with 1.5A batteries.

I don't think the colour is representative of the battery amperage...they're just different colours.
As of this year, white means 1.5 amps and blue is 3 amps

Yes, and no its not an overkill..its a light drill and a really good quality
igor_f wrote: As other people mentioned before, yes in that drill you can easily switch between Hammer, Driving and Drilling functions and it is done much better then in Ridgid. Also bare in mind even so you don't need hammer drill feature, it could be handy to have one eventually.

Makita is more comfortable, versatile and has 2 batteries instead of one for
just 35$ on top, but Ridgid has lifetime warranty.... so decisions to be made.

I have both drills right now as had no time to return Ridgid, and decided to stick with Makita.

I would never trust such statement especially regarding whole Canada.
When I was looking for mine in one store they told me that other store has still 6 in stock, but when I came to that other store first they told me they never heard about such deal, but after spent like 15 minutes to find one box sitting somewhere far on top shelf. So better check your local HD before making any conclusions.
+1. That's bs, they can't check all the stores in canada unless they enter them one at a time. They can only check around 8 closest stores and then enter all of the rest one at a time. So unless the guy spend a whole shift doing so, he is full of it
Shopper3388 wrote: Thanks OP. I picked the last one up at the Yorkdale HD yesterday.
FYI, there were two left at the Caledonia HD two days ago, but price scan was $269 and the store manager refused to sell it for $120.
That's a load of crap. If they don't sell if for what everyone else is selling it at...just buy the drill and then write/phone head office and i guarantee that u'll get ur money back (the difference). Its a clearance drill and they HAVE TO match the price of other home depots.
Dec 2, 2009
31 posts
Toronto
[quote="
That's a load of crap. If they don't sell if for what everyone else is selling it at...just buy the drill and then write/phone head office and i guarantee that u'll get ur money back (the difference). Its a clearance drill and they HAVE TO match the price of other home depots.[/QUOTE"]

That day I did complain to the head office and the lady told me that she would put me on hold while she would call the local store manager to price match. Finally she said to me that she was sorry, because the item was at clearance and the local store manager had the final say and no price match.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2008
1157 posts
273 upvotes
Ottawa
Shopper3388 wrote: That day I did complain to the head office and the lady told me that she would put me on hold while she would call the local store manager to price match. Finally she said to me that she was sorry, because the item was at clearance and the local store manager had the final say and no price match.
That's so FUp....you can also go to a different store and tell them to transfer 2 or 3 of them and return 2 later. There's lots of ways around it; and trust me, just buy the stuff and later write to head office and they will refund the money. The store manager doesn't have the final say and if one store is selling at a lower price then all stores have to match that price....its a rule. I personally doubt she called the store manager and store is getting credit from makita so i don't see why its a problem for them. :mad:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)