None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4132 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake

HDMI Cable at Dollarama?

Just curious, do dollar stores (i.e., Dollarama) sell HDMI cables? And if so, do they last a while?

Thanks
35 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
295 upvotes
Calgary
They do sell them. As far as lasting, it depends on the build. I've had some cheap ones that lasted a long time, but they were not moved much once plugged in. I expect that the casing and it's durability/flexibility would be limited for the cheaper price.

The last ones I bought I got off Monoprice and Amazon. Still pretty cheap, but more durable.
Aug 9, 2005
797 posts
287 upvotes
Yes, but I've had connectivity issues with some, especially if you disconnect/move them at all, and there is no exchange policy.
Dec 11, 2012
293 posts
917 upvotes
Waterloo
Yes, plenty of dollar stores do sell HDMI cables such as Dollarama. I picked on up my IPS monitor to connect it to my mac and have had no issues over the past year with either quality or it breaking. I've bought $80 monster cables for my TV that have broken in about 2 years. I would say its a smart purchase because even if it breaks in a year or so it's only about a $3 replacement. (I say $3 because Dollarama sells them for around that much).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4132 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Thanks! Will pick one up tomorrow. Wasn't sure if they did or not.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19666 posts
5757 upvotes
Toronto
Yes they sell them. The quality is mediocre at best. They usually work but sometimes you'll get one that is defective. But for $3 it's hard to complain.

The Prine Cables ones are way better built but cost 4X as much. But then again, $12 is not a lot of money to spend on a cable.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
516 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote: Just curious, do dollar stores (i.e., Dollarama) sell HDMI cables? And if so, do they last a while?

Thanks

I have 4-5 of them -- never failed.
Note: there are 2 sizes: 3 and 5 FT.
Short one can be , well, short if box is under a table.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13270 posts
2494 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Dollarama has 1m/3' for $2.00, and 2m/6' for $3.00, last time I paid attention to the price.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19666 posts
5757 upvotes
Toronto
rabbit wrote: Dollarama has 1m/3' for $2.00, and 2m/6' for $3.00, last time I paid attention to the price.
The longer ones in our Dollaramas around here are 5 feet. I have never seen a 2 m one.
Oct 24, 2013
517 posts
122 upvotes
Ontario
I have those. Never had an issue so far in 720 or 1080 hd environment.

Dont work on 4k.

For 4k use the amazon hdmi. Go on sale once in a while.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20922 posts
9182 upvotes
Toronto
The days of $200 monster cables is long gone. HDMI cable has been a commodity for years. Dollarama does not have the monopoly on cheap cables. Shop around, there are tons of options. Infinite cables is reasonably accessible for me, I buy from them as a habit. Their pricing is Dollarama like for HDMI cables, never ever got a bad item from them.
Mar 22, 2006
336 posts
108 upvotes
Markham
will888 wrote: The days of $200 monster cables is long gone. HDMI cable has been a commodity for years. Dollarama does not have the monopoly on cheap cables. Shop around, there are tons of options. Infinite cables is reasonably accessible for me, I buy from them as a habit. Their pricing is Dollarama like for HDMI cables, never ever got a bad item from them.
Can one do in store pickup at infinite cables?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1495 upvotes
Montreal
Dollarama has 3 and 6 foot cables last time I went. I use them for all my hdmi needs. Have had no issues for the past 3-4 years I've used them. I recommend them to everyone.

They are digital signal. No real difference between them and a $100 cable for short distances. Hdmi version matters but for typical usage dollar store cables do the trick.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19666 posts
5757 upvotes
Toronto
neverhaveiever wrote: Dollarama has 3 and 6 foot cables last time I went. I use them for all my hdmi needs. Have had no issues for the past 3-4 years I've used them. I recommend them to everyone.

They are digital signal. No real difference between them and a $100 cable for short distances. Hdmi version matters but for typical usage dollar store cables do the trick.
I have had at least two Dollarama cables fail out of about a dozen purchased.

One failed right out of the packaging. The other was giving me intermittent problems and replacing the cable fixed those problems.

I'd say the quality control on these isn't very good but like I said, for $3 it's hard to complain.

As far as recommendations, I recommend them to nobody, except as a quick cheap solution when you need something right away, or as a backup in your junk drawer. Otherwise if you can plan ahead you're better off spending a few bux more for better made cables.

Oh and as others have mentioned don't expect these to work with 4K.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29353 posts
9941 upvotes
neverhaveiever wrote: They are digital signal. No real difference between them and a $100 cable for short distances. Hdmi version matters but for typical usage dollar store cables do the trick.
Uh yeah "they are digital signal" but the cables are also made of wires. When they use crap/cheap copper and alum stocks to make these things they can have issues transmitting signals and just fail out of nowhere in time. You're correct that they are more ideal for short distances where these defects are less likely to cause issue but corroded/oxidized wire stocks which are likely being used in these bargain-basement cables are very hit and miss otherwise. As others have mentioned you can buy ones that are just DOA, ones that won't even carry a 1080p signal well, and ones that seem to work fine at first but fail later on (for example if corrosion inside the cable worsens over time).

I'd buy/use one in a pinch but not for anything else. Just because you've had good luck doesn't mean everyone will...and after cables like this stop working some people are even fool enough to overlook the crap cable they bought and think either their device or TV has a problem :rolleyes: (Yes I've seen this happen and someone I knew was going to buy a new BD player when I was like, "where did you get this cable?!" lol.)

As EugW said, $10-15 on a quality cable is not that much to spend. No one here is going to tell anyone to buy a $100 HDMI cable (and I'm not even sure that crap like that exists anymore) but OTOH going as cheap as is possible, isn't the best idea either.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20922 posts
9182 upvotes
Toronto
jacky28 wrote: Can one do in store pickup at infinite cables?
Yes, you can even do in store order. Their pick up window service has grown. There is a computer terminal there and the guy can do ordering from there, although it's more convenient to order ahead of time and arrive a bit later with order all ready to go.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1330 upvotes
There is no difference in performance, the only difference with the $50+ cables is that they are each checked for continuity.
The company I worked for made a killing buying $0.17 HDMI cables and checking them without even taking it out of the plastic bag and reselling them to the Canadian government and various universities for $50ea !

10 seconds gets us $49.83 per cable ...easy money FTW ! ...LoL
Dec 7, 2015
479 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Personally, I've had more luck with the $5 Walmart cables than the $3 Dollarama (and Walmart will take back the defective ones) . The Walmart ones seem to satisfy adequately HDMI 1.4, who knows what the Dollarama ones really are. If you are using ARC and/or CEC, spending a few dollars more and saving yourself some headaches may be worthwhile. As the previous poster says, the Dollarama work in a pinch... maybe. It depends on your needs and how many trips to the store you're willing to make.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1330 upvotes
willilumplump wrote: Personally, I've had more luck with the $5 Walmart cables than the $3 Dollarama (and Walmart will take back the defective ones) . The Walmart ones seem to satisfy adequately HDMI 1.4, who knows what the Dollarama ones really are. If you are using ARC and/or CEC, spending a few dollars more and saving yourself some headaches may be worthwhile. As the previous poster says, the Dollarama work in a pinch... maybe. It depends on your needs and how many trips to the store you're willing to make.
You must of have gotten the <1% of all their defects ! ...LoL
Most of the defects occur when the plastic is molded over the connector which can break the connection when the hot plastic is injected around the termination.
There is no rocket science to HDMI cables, it is basically network cabling with a HDMI connector at both ends !
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13270 posts
2494 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
EugW wrote: The longer ones in our Dollaramas around here are 5 feet. I have never seen a 2 m one.
You're probably right. I didn't really pay much attention to the longer ones. By the time Dollarama started carrying them, I already had lots from Meritline, whenever they had them as a daily special.