HDSentinel Professional $21

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2023 3:21 am
64 replies
Nov 7, 2017
209 posts
506 upvotes
Montreal
Most recommended windows software to scan your newly purchased hard drives before installing in your server. I have a seperate PC only for this program.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7194 posts
4854 upvotes
SW ON
v3dg666 wrote: Most recommended windows software to scan your newly purchased hard drives before installing in your server. I have a seperate PC only for this program.
How is this better than free GSmartControl that reads SMART status and runs SMART scans?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2885 posts
1026 upvotes
alpovs wrote: How is this better than free GSmartControl that reads SMART status and runs SMART scans?
This does more than the typical smart scan. It can do a deep surface scan for each sector. This takes a very long time but it is recommended for a new drive.
Last edited by Phat_cow on Jan 18th, 2023 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 10, 2019
477 posts
475 upvotes
14.97 USD with code.

Thanks OP

Does it do repairs of the hard drive?
Feb 19, 2009
607 posts
873 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Damn, I just bought this back in December.
This is a great deal, and I can vouch for this software.

Great little lightweight app so you always know the health of your drives.
No more surprise data loss!
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3127 posts
2961 upvotes
Antarctica
v3dg666 wrote: Most recommended windows software to scan your newly purchased hard drives before installing in your server. I have a seperate PC only for this program.
They have a Linux version that can run on servers…
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3881 posts
3442 upvotes
Markham
Non-techie question.
This software is for magnetic hard drives and not for solid state drives, right?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7194 posts
4854 upvotes
SW ON
Phat_cow wrote: This does more than the typical smart scan. It can do a deep surface scan for each sector. This takes a very long time but it is recommended for a new drive.
That's what extended SMART test does and can also be initiated from the free GSmartControl.
Nov 8, 2022
33 posts
27 upvotes
alpovs wrote: That's what extended SMART test does and can also be initiated from the free GSmartControl.
I learnt something new today, thank you
Nov 7, 2017
209 posts
506 upvotes
Montreal
Crichtonfan wrote: They have a Linux version that can run on servers…
I was simply implying that this was recommended IF using windows. For Linux, badblocks seems to be what people use to test new drives. On my actual server, I use Stablebit Scanner to monitor drive health.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2885 posts
1026 upvotes
drdtyc wrote: Non-techie question.
This software is for magnetic hard drives and not for solid state drives, right?
Quoting for HDSentinel Website:

Hard Disk Sentinel is compatible and supports the detection of all SSD (solid state disk drives) models, regardless of their connection and size. Hard Disk Sentinel automatically detects and displays the supported features of these solid state disk drives.

SSD models use some traditional S.M.A.R.T. attributes differently than hard disks and they introduced new features and different attributes compared to hard disks. We constantly analyse SSD drives to provide accurate information about these devices also in addition for hard disk drives.

Hard Disk Sentinel detects and displays these SSD details and verifies known and special, vendor-specific S.M.A.R.T. attributes to display the health and temperature values of the solid state disk. Not all SSD devices have temperature sensors - in such cases the temperature value is unknown. Hard Disk Sentinel also detects SSD specific features, like the TRIM feature or Reset workout counters.

Some SSD devices also support special functions, for example short and extended hardware self tests, resettable workout counters (Intel SSDs). If these are supported, the appropriate tests and functions are available in Hard Disk Sentinel.

I personally use this program to make sure my new hard drives I purchase are not defective. Can be used to check SSD health as well.
Jul 3, 2019
28 posts
117 upvotes
They also have a family license which protects up to 5 computers:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/store.php

You can get 40% off using this coupon code that I found on Reddit: HDSP-H1-GA79612

After the discount, the total comes to $44.97 CAD (excluding sales tax).

Please note that with the family license, you only receive a single registration code with 5 activation uses.

For additional information, please refer to:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8664
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1481 posts
1265 upvotes
Vancouver
i like this software, have a free copy v4.40 that was a giveaway many years ago, use it to monitor the HDs in the background and alert me if there is a health issue.
Mar 25, 2013
705 posts
685 upvotes
Toronto
Dose this work for external drives at all?
DroidKid
Sep 3, 2021
21 posts
17 upvotes
Was looking at pricing to purchase additional licenses the other day, thank you very much OP! This is why I love RFD!

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)