Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
HDSentinel.com

HDSentinel Professional $21

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2023 10:54 pm
Mar 6, 2006
832 posts
725 upvotes
GTA
can it monitor HDDs used in network storage like Synology which has its own non-Windows OS?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2006
1047 posts
317 upvotes
Vancouver
Is the only difference between the standard version and the professional version this scheduled backup feature? I already have a backup solution so I'm considering skipping the pro version and going with standard instead ($13.62 CAD after coupon).
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
3067 posts
1220 upvotes
iamzill wrote: Is the only difference between the standard version and the professional version this scheduled backup feature? I already have a backup solution so I'm considering skipping the pro version and going with standard instead ($13.62 CAD after coupon).
Comparison: https://www.hdsentinel.com/store.php

I went with Professional edition since I wanted to test write+read (destructive) scan.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
3067 posts
1220 upvotes
Midav wrote: can it monitor HDDs used in network storage like Synology which has its own non-Windows OS?
The professional edition has "Monitor Network Attached Storage (NAS)" option but I don't have any experience with it.
Nov 24, 2018
147 posts
317 upvotes
How does this compare to Stablebit Scanner? Stablebit seems to have a hard time reading drive sizes and actual drive health status for drives in certain JBOD enclosures.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
There is a free trial version.
You can test , try and see if works for your purposes
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1819 posts
1393 upvotes
Toronto
This is one of the few software that actually detect SAS drive SMART and test them properly in windows. thanks op
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
3067 posts
1220 upvotes
Keigotw wrote: There is a free trial version.
You can test , try and see if works for your purposes
The trial is very limited (can't run a surface scan). That's why I went searching for a coupon code. Originally it was only 40% off but changing the last digit to a 5 gave 50% off lol.

Than I noticed it doesn't ask for my full address so I changed to US with a Montana zip code to avoid all taxes as a bonus.
Last edited by Phat_cow on Jan 19th, 2023 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Apr 9, 2006
10596 posts
15787 upvotes
GT-EH
DealAlert wrote: They also have a family license which protects up to 5 computers:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/store.php

You can get 40% off using this coupon code that I found on Reddit: HDSP-H1-GA79612

After the discount, the total comes to $44.97 CAD (excluding sales tax).

Please note that with the family license, you only receive a single registration code with 5 activation uses.

For additional information, please refer to:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8664
So a non-family purchase would mean a SINGLE activation use;
does that mean once it's activated (consumed), you cannot move/activate that license to a new machine later?
(for example: when I plan on upgrading my machine with a new install of windows)
Public Mobile Customer, $34/50GB CAN-US
"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." - Picard
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
3067 posts
1220 upvotes
GiOBoY wrote: So a non-family purchase would mean a SINGLE activation use;
does that mean once it's activated (consumed), you cannot move/activate that license to a new machine later?
(for example: when I plan on upgrading my machine with a new install of windows)
You just need to uninstall first.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
3067 posts
1220 upvotes
Plugged in 2 known bad drives and HDSentinel almost immediately found issues with them.
One drive with a bad motor (Too many attempts to initialize the motors or something) and another drive with bad sectors. Would be cool if they add a file recovery feature in the future.
Nov 23, 2017
811 posts
549 upvotes
On Windows why would someone get this over GSmartControl?
Nov 8, 2022
100 posts
85 upvotes
Ph7nam wrote: On Windows why would someone get this over GSmartControl?
I have been having issues with GSmartControl while running extended self tests. It stops after 2 hours and says manually disconnected. Tried disabling putting the drives to sleep in windows power settings but couldn't get it to work.

Hopefully I have better luck with hdsentinel
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1600 posts
950 upvotes
GTA
This is like buying winrar...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
heyyounotyouyou wrote: I have been having issues with GSmartControl while running extended self tests. It stops after 2 hours and says manually disconnected. Tried disabling putting the drives to sleep in windows power settings but couldn't get it to work.

Hopefully I have better luck with hdsentinel
Please post if you get better luck.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1008 posts
1528 upvotes
Phat_cow wrote: Great little software to test your harddrives.

Use coupon Code: HDSPH5

To avoid paying taxes. Select United States as the Country and enter Zip Code: 59901
Where do u enter zip code?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
Phat_cow wrote: This does more than the typical smart scan. It can do a deep surface scan for each sector. This takes a very long time but it is recommended for a new drive.
Why don't you use conveyance test for new drives? It was designed to look for damage after handling/shipping the drive and is recommended for new drives, not the extended one. And I wonder how many new drives you found defective.
Nov 8, 2022
100 posts
85 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Please post if you get better luck.
I have the same issue with HDSentinel, but I was able to get the surface read test to work with HDSentinel. So, for me it's a positive experience.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)