• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2020 8:59 am
[OP]
Jul 23, 2008
960 posts
267 upvotes

headphone for a 12 years old

Hi !
my kids needs/want headphone. What would be a good cheap (less than 100$) for him ? Too old for kids headphone and maybe a bit younf for ''adults'' ones ...
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7912 posts
4271 upvotes
Kootenays
tostaky wrote: Hi !
my kids needs/want headphone. What would be a good cheap (less than 100$) for him ? Too old for kids headphone and maybe a bit younf for ''adults'' ones ...
Whichever headphones you buy, purchase them at The Source and buy their protection plan. It's very inexpensive and they replace them up to 3 times, no matter what your kids do to them. When my kids were young, they constantly ruined their headphones (I think by using the wires as handles, but they would never admit it). Simply a case of bringing them back to the store and getting a replacement.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4784 posts
2335 upvotes
Toronto
Last one I bought for the kids were hyperx core. Only problem I found is that the replaceable ear cups fabric only past few years. But overall the steel construction it's made of is pretty study and I borrow it once in awhile. But I find for people with big head like me is that the bridge feels little short.
Oct 1, 2009
411 posts
154 upvotes
West coast
Is he going to use it for music or for pc for having and listening on? Wired out wireless?

I got my son just your normal run of the mill gaming headphones for like 30 bucks and he's so happy with it
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1848 posts
2063 upvotes
GTA
If its a first headset for kids then go with cheap but decently tough. Kids don't take care of things generally, so buying audiophile quality is smart as giving a learning driver a Ferrari unless you're a Saudi Oil Tycoon. If not, they need to slum it out and earn that thing!
Try finding these at Canada Computers:
https://www.canadacomputers.com/search/ ... es+spirits

They look like a cheap plastic and have soft plastic earpads, which for me to wear would be a big no. But the price and build quality are great for kids since they are durable (my kid predictably drops and leaves them on the floor) and have built in volume control and microphone mute. I bought them for my kid when the at-home schooling started so there are few left in some sporadic locations. I thought they would be broken by now but they have lasted great and for a kid's head well.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3439 posts
1366 upvotes
Go bluetooth!

Wires are the #1 cause of headphone destruction. I remember (unfortunately) my first few headphones were ruined because.....I forgot I was wearing them lol

For my toddler, I have bluetooth headphones I scored from SDM for $5. They're Disney Incredibles lol but having wireless is much less likely of cord damage and good range, however that may drive you crazy as a parent if your child keeps them on all the time.

Bluetooth headphones still come with a cable in case low battery. Myself I have a Audio Technica ATH-AR3BT bluetooth. Comfy, quite durable (be sure to get a case and stand), and it was $89 at walmart. Discontinued now but you should find something good $50-90 range.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9483 posts
5176 upvotes
Do kids learn to take care of things when they don't break? There's no sense of loss to learn from if you place them in a bubble.

(And really, at 12, you would hope the kid has already learnt the value of taking care of his / her belongings)