[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1960 posts
460 upvotes
m4r 1k8

Headphone Recommendation

Hey guys,

Ive had the Beats By Dre Solo2 Wireless for over a year and they recently broke! (bluetooth wont turn on, apple wanted $160, and theyd replace them for me! What a joke! especially since i had the same issue they fixed under warranty!)

Im thinking of new headphones but am hesitant to get the Beats ... so far i went to costcos website because i know they have great warranty and am looking at the E45BT headphones?
Last edited by ed116 on Feb 27th, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Title edit
21 replies
Sep 16, 2006
899 posts
178 upvotes
Pickering
Beats are a joke. They are garbage. The sound quality is trash. Build quality is trash. What are you going to use your new headphones with? Smartphone? PC? Do you have an amplifier?
Price range?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1960 posts
460 upvotes
m4r 1k8
Mistersprinkles wrote: Beats are a joke. They are garbage. The sound quality is trash. Build quality is trash. What are you going to use your new headphones with? Smartphone? PC? Do you have an amplifier?
Price range?
smart phone primarily (trips/gym)

and work computer (for meetings, spotify)

no amp
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
ed116 wrote: Hey guys,

Ive had the Beats By Dre Solo2 Wireless for over a year and they recently broke! (bluetooth wont turn on, apple wanted $160, and theyd replace them for me! What a joke! especially since i had the same issue they fixed under warranty!)

Im thinking of new headphones but am hesitant to get the Beats ... so far i went to costcos website because i know they have great warranty and am looking at the E45BT headphones?
I am using Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2 and I am happy.
Read through the review of it and see if it compares well with the more expensive Boss and Sony
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1842 posts
1183 upvotes
Vancouver
Budget?

$400? $150? $50? $600?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1960 posts
460 upvotes
m4r 1k8
Sypsy wrote: Budget?

$400? $150? $50? $600?
100-200 obviously cheaper the better ...
Jan 18, 2017
721 posts
323 upvotes
If cheaper the better, hard to beat something like the Samson SR850 or one of the various Superlux. Just grab a lavalier mic to use for Skype/etc.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2018
1009 posts
48 upvotes
Forget all those, get V-Modas. Bar none, the BEST sound for $100-200 range.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6707 posts
6717 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Poutsounia wrote: Forget all those, get V-Modas. Bar none, the BEST sound for $100-200 range.
Best is dependent on the listener and what's being listened to. If OP prefers a clear, neutral sound signature, then VModas would certainly be at the bottom of the list.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2018
1009 posts
48 upvotes
aeba7 wrote: Best is dependent on the listener and what's being listened to. If OP prefers a clear, neutral sound signature, then VModas would certainly be at the bottom of the list.
lol
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1842 posts
1183 upvotes
Vancouver
Poutsounia wrote: Forget all those, get V-Modas. Bar none, the BEST sound for $100-200 range.
Last time I touched a v-moda was years ago, but googling now, I only see noise about the crossfade, which is substantially above $200. What headphones are you referring to?

Also, I'm pretty sure OP wants bluetooth, even though he didn't say it.

edit: Looks like the only over-ears that v-moda sells is the crossfade.

https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-wi ... headphones
the sound – while it manages to avoid the overcooked bass of models like the Marshall Major II – is still heavily biased towards the lower end, and definitely isn't what you’d call reference grade. Nothing wrong with that – we like pumping up our music, too, when we’re in the mood – but you do need to be aware of this before you buy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1960 posts
460 upvotes
m4r 1k8
guys i think im going to pick up a pair of BackBeat Pro 2 :) great reviews overall 24 hour battery life (which is amazing) and has noise cancelling but its not always active which is exactly what i need :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
ed116 wrote: guys i think im going to pick up a pair of BackBeat Pro 2 :) great reviews overall 24 hour battery life (which is amazing) and has noise cancelling but its not always active which is exactly what i need :)
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
The noice cancellation is on if your turn it on. It won't be necessary if your environment is not noisy.
The N C effect is a lot less than Bose and Sony. But the headphone excels (subjective though) in sound quality when compared with the the pricier version (Sony + Bose).
It is a bit on the heavy side. But wearing long hours is fine and I am almost hooked onto it a lot of time when outdoor
Daniel

[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1960 posts
460 upvotes
m4r 1k8
danieltoronto wrote: The noice cancellation is on if your turn it on. It won't be necessary if your environment is not noisy.
The N C effect is a lot less than Bose and Sony. But the headphone excels (subjective though) in sound quality when compared with the the pricier version (Sony + Bose).
It is a bit on the heavy side. But wearing long hours is fine and I am almost hooked onto it a lot of time when outdoor
I plan on using it for virtual meetings ~ usually 1 hour long and gym sessions no longer than 2 hours :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
ed116 wrote: I plan on using it for virtual meetings ~ usually 1 hour long and gym sessions no longer than 2 hours :)
When it comes to gym sessions, noise situation is nowhere near as bad as in an airplane. BackBeat pro II is more than enough
Daniel

Sep 16, 2006
899 posts
178 upvotes
Pickering
ATH M50X and M40X are generally agreed to be some of the most entertaining headphones in the $150-200 range. They are from audio-technica. They sound great without any amplification and work well with the normal output from a PC or smart phone. They are over-the-ear closed back headphones and seal out ambient noise pretty decently. If you need a mic added, pick up an AntLion ModMic (Amazon etc) for about $50-75 and clip it on. If you want to use that mic with a smartphone as well just get one of those 2 into 1 3.5 mm adapters that take the mic and audio jacks and mix them into a single 4 stage 3.5mm connector. They're like $2 on Amazon.

I suggest that you buy the M40/50X from Long & McQuade (many store in GTA) as they have a spectacular hassle free return policy if you decide you don't like the sound.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Mistersprinkles wrote: ATH M50X and M40X are generally agreed to be some of the most entertaining headphones in the $150-200 range. They are from audio-technica. They sound great without any amplification and work well with the normal output from a PC or smart phone. They are over-the-ear closed back headphones and seal out ambient noise pretty decently. If you need a mic added, pick up an AntLion ModMic (Amazon etc) for about $50-75 and clip it on. If you want to use that mic with a smartphone as well just get one of those 2 into 1 3.5 mm adapters that take the mic and audio jacks and mix them into a single 4 stage 3.5mm connector.
Backbeat Pro II fulfils all these in one product. While listening to music from your cell, call can still come in. You press a button to pick up the call and press it again to hang up by going back to the music. Very intuitive
Sound quality is something subjective though
Daniel

[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1960 posts
460 upvotes
m4r 1k8
Guys, if anyone is interested NewEgg has a promotion in which they give you a $50 GiftCard with the purchase of backbeat pro II @ 179.99

Shipping is free there is just tax

total comes to -- 179.99 * 1.13 = 203.39 with a $50 NewEgg GC = 153.39 for brand new headphones! thats amazing

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 0006-00501
Banned
Jul 12, 2016
329 posts
181 upvotes
Beats are honestly the best you could get right now. I got the wireless "beats Studio 3" which are quite expensive but trust me, they're very comfortable. If you need the ones for the GYM or running, i recommend you to get Skull Candy headphones which have been working pretty good for me so far. Skull Candy "Hesh2 unleash" is the one that i have as of now. It's cheap and works like a champ. :)