• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2016 3:09 pm
[OP]
Dec 11, 2014
36 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Headphones - Black Friday

Looking for a really good deal on headphones. Anyone got any thoughts?
24 replies
Nov 18, 2016
25 posts
61 upvotes
Ontario
flopticalcube wrote: Sennheiser HD598's will have a special BF model (Cs closed back model) on Amazon for US$99 (so C$130?). https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-offers ... day-deals/
There is now a little ad foreshadowing a deal underneath the description on Amazon Canada, not sure there was any confirmation of a Canadian deal until now. Unknown price as of yet but as mentioned ~$130 is a decent deal. Any higher than that I would be a little more hesitant but then again I already own M50x and 598

In the market for a pair of closed-backs for the office so I've got my eyes on this one, but also hoping to see a deal comparable to the Microsoft V-Moda deal last year or something on DT770 80Ω... I like having options :)
Aug 28, 2006
918 posts
169 upvotes
Scarborough
Spoonsy wrote: There is now a little ad foreshadowing a deal underneath the description on Amazon Canada, not sure there was any confirmation of a Canadian deal until now. Unknown price as of yet but as mentioned ~$130 is a decent deal. Any higher than that I would be a little more hesitant but then again I already own M50x and 598

In the market for a pair of closed-backs for the office so I've got my eyes on this one, but also hoping to see a deal comparable to the Microsoft V-Moda deal last year or something on DT770 80Ω... I like having options :)
How do the m50x and 598 compare? I know they are relatively different. How's the bass in the 598 compared to bass heavy m50x?
Nov 18, 2016
25 posts
61 upvotes
Ontario
impruv wrote: How do the m50x and 598 compare? I know they are relatively different. How's the bass in the 598 compared to bass heavy m50x?
I find these comparisons are very subjective - you can talk about shit like "soundstage" and "v-shape response" for days but for me personally it really just boils down to usage: Home use = 598, travel = m50x, office = shopping for a dt770 or 598cs, TBD

The 598 is great - open back, sounds great, super comfortable. Less bass like you said but overall they just sound better. My musical tastes are pretty diverse and these work well with all genres. I use these at home exclusively because they are open back, either with my PC or plug in to my receiver when I can't use my speakers.

The M50X is good too - more bass, but also more treble so I find them generally a little harsher. Depending on your favorite genres this can be a huge pro or a huge con. Love the foldability and closed back for travelling, really good isolation, great for planes or roadtrips. I find the clamping force makes them less comfortable in the long run but I have an XL size head which may be a factor... which is why I'm looking for a more comfortable closed back for daily office use

MSRP of $250 for the M50x is a complete joke though, I find ~$200 for the 598 is less of a rip off but in the spirit of RFD I would never pay full price for either of these. I got the 598 for $113 from Amazon and the M50x from NCIX for $170 back in 2014

Don't know where the 598 Cs factors into all of this though - apparently totally different driver than the open-back 598 so I'm not sure why they share the same model number, probably just for market recognition. If the price is right I'll give them a shot
Aug 28, 2006
918 posts
169 upvotes
Scarborough
Spoonsy wrote: I find these comparisons are very subjective - you can talk about shit like "soundstage" and "v-shape response" for days but for me personally it really just boils down to usage: Home use = 598, travel = m50x, office = shopping for a dt770 or 598cs, TBD

The 598 is great - open back, sounds great, super comfortable. Less bass like you said but overall they just sound better. My musical tastes are pretty diverse and these work well with all genres. I use these at home exclusively because they are open back, either with my PC or plug in to my receiver when I can't use my speakers.

The M50X is good too - more bass, but also more treble so I find them generally a little harsher. Depending on your favorite genres this can be a huge pro or a huge con. Love the foldability and closed back for travelling, really good isolation, great for planes or roadtrips. I find the clamping force makes them less comfortable in the long run but I have an XL size head which may be a factor... which is why I'm looking for a more comfortable closed back for daily office use

MSRP of $250 for the M50x is a complete joke though, I find ~$200 for the 598 is less of a rip off but in the spirit of RFD I would never pay full price for either of these. I got the 598 for $113 from Amazon and the M50x from NCIX for $170 back in 2014

Don't know where the 598 Cs factors into all of this though - apparently totally different driver than the open-back 598 so I'm not sure why they share the same model number, probably just for market recognition. If the price is right I'll give them a shot
Have you looked into Status Audio CB-1?

That's what I'm looking at.
Nov 18, 2016
25 posts
61 upvotes
Ontario
impruv wrote: Have you looked into Status Audio CB-1?

That's what I'm looking at.
Good call! They've gotten some good reviews, good sound for the price point (~$110). Seen a few reviews with concerns about build quality though.

SoundMagic HP150s also in the running (~$150)

Will see how Friday plays out and go from there :)
Aug 28, 2006
918 posts
169 upvotes
Scarborough
Spoonsy wrote: Good call! They've gotten some good reviews, good sound for the price point (~$110). Seen a few reviews with concerns about build quality though.

SoundMagic HP150s also in the running (~$150)

Will see how Friday plays out and go from there :)
Yea I see that it's definitely easy to over bend the joint and causing it to pop out but people have said you can literally pop it back in. But yes it's definitely not as durable as others such as HP150s or even the ATHm40X. Although I guess you wouldn't grab the 40x if you have the 50x. But from what I heard, 40x is better anyways :P
Aug 24, 2009
571 posts
167 upvotes
If anyone has noticed the Bose QuietComfort-15 or 25 (latter preferable) on sale somewhere, please let me know. I've looked through a lot of flyers with no luck.

Wife has requested them for Xmas. :)
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1474 posts
356 upvotes
Best Buy has the SoundTrue II headphones for $100 (regular 180) for their BF deal. I purchased the Soundtrue I ones last year and gotta say... most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. They're not proper noise cancelling, but they do a really good job of blocking out outside noise.

Great gift as well.
[OP]
Dec 11, 2014
36 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks, I hope the HD598 go on sale.
Nov 27, 2004
461 posts
60 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
You can get the Sennheiser HD650 delivered from Amazon UK for £237.68 or $399 CDN. This is the final price including duty, and any Canadian taxes.
Last edited by Cantley on Nov 24th, 2016 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 18, 2016
25 posts
61 upvotes
Ontario
Sony MDRXB950BT/B Extra Bass Over-Ear Wireless Headphones (Black)
Price: $123.00

Amazon Price History
Type Price When
Current $123.00 Nov 24, 2016
Highest $249.99 Oct 14, 2016
Lowest $123.00 Nov 24, 2016
Average $188.24

Also on sale for $125 at BestBuy marked down from $249.99

Review: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sony-mdr-xb ... -2959.html
"6/10. The Sony MDR-XB950BT has impressive audio quality, but it's brought down by outdated style and overpowering optional bass."
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2580 posts
1616 upvotes
Parksville, BC
wildzero wrote: How do you know its a special Black Friday model?
Just like the 598 SE they come out a few weeks before, drop down to US$100 on BF, the go back up to $200+. Like the SE they are Amazon exclusive.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1967 posts
1961 upvotes
flopticalcube wrote: Just like the 598 SE they come out a few weeks before, drop down to US$100 on BF, the go back up to $200+. Like the SE they are Amazon exclusive.
Awesome - thank you!

Definitely going to try and grab a pair. Do you know if these are usually available on amazon.ca when they do these sales, or is it just amazon.com