• Dec 20th, 2015 9:34 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2103 posts
636 upvotes
betamaxman wrote: Funny, I have always shopped at crappy tire because of their decent return policy. Never had a problem, they even refunded that horrible rca android media player highlighted in a thread a year or so ago, and others had the same experience. There must be something more to this story the op posted.
There is none. As another posted has stated, it is store and associate dependent. And as I have already stated, i have already received a full refund on the one that did not meet my need.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5751 posts
1932 upvotes
Cornwall PE
malecoke wrote: There is none. As another posted has stated, it is store and associate dependent. And as I have already stated, i have already received a full refund on the one that did not meet my need.
Wrong, it is canadian tire's nationally posted return policy dependent.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6061 posts
594 upvotes
SW Ontario
betamaxman wrote: Wrong, it is canadian tire's nationally posted return policy dependent.
Stores are franchised. What happens at a particular store may go against the corporate policy. Training may vary at stores too, not see how they do it. But I think this is the issue some stores are great some are terrible. I didn't like the big city locations, but since moving to a small town I quite like the local CT. It's a tiny one, and many products are 'in the back' buy staff is helpful and I kind of like going there now. Big difference from what I experienced at other locations.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5751 posts
1932 upvotes
Cornwall PE
All franchises have to adhere to what ever the base company polices are.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6061 posts
594 upvotes
SW Ontario
betamaxman wrote: All franchises have to adhere to what ever the base company polices are.
They are supposed to yes. But clearly that doesn't happen in all cases, based on many complaints posted over the years.

When you as a customer are there and they refuse to do what's supposed to happen, there is no way to force them at that moment other than talk to management (if they even care)

Obviously that should be followed up with a corporate complaint etc etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2131 posts
338 upvotes
betamaxman wrote: All franchises have to adhere to what ever the base company polices are.
Or what will happen? I've been down this road before (regarding their PM policy) and the head office is powerless. They said that all franchises "should follow best business practice". When I told them that the store refused to follow the stated policy and that is why I'm calling them and if there was any way that head office could force the store to "follow best business practice", they responded that they could not "force" them to follow it but it made no sense for them not to. I responded that I agreed that it made no sense and that is why I was calling head office. Head office then told me to drive back to the store and tell them that head office agrees with me and for the store to call head office if they won't comply - rather than head office directly calling the store. I figured I'd do that just to see how much more stupidity I could witness from this company and sure enough they refused to call head office because they said they knew they were right. I then called head office back on my cell and convinced them to call the store. I watched as the manager told head office that they were wrong and refused to honour their policy. That is how much of a disaster CT corp is.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5992 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I think the OP needs to look at the other side of the coin.

As was pointed out more than once in this thread, what is the merchant supposed to do with a used item like that?

I had two cases in the last week, one at Home Depot, the other at Ikea, where the product I bought which was supposed to be new had obviously been opened and returned.

At HD it was a weiser door lock which, after I had it installed, it turned out two pieces to complete the installation were missing. Weiser no longer made those pieces (they changed the design) so I had to remove the door lock and reinstall the old one or leave my front door unlocked.
At Ikea all the hardware was missing after I opened the package and in retrospect it was noticable that someone had bought the item, removed the hardware and then returned the item.

Under the circumstances the OP describes CT should definitely not have taken back the item. Now that they did we all pay for it with higher prices.

And btw - CT Has a nice selection of customer reviews on their website. I always read those and have often retrained from buying an item because of those reviews.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5992 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Chookman wrote: Or what will happen? I've been down this road before (regarding their PM policy) and the head office is powerless. They said that all franchises "should follow best business practice". When I told them that the store refused to follow the stated policy and that is why I'm calling them and if there was any way that head office could force the store to "follow best business practice", they responded that they could not "force" them to follow it but it made no sense for them not to. I responded that I agreed that it made no sense and that is why I was calling head office. Head office then told me to drive back to the store and tell them that head office agrees with me and for the store to call head office if they won't comply - rather than head office directly calling the store. I figured I'd do that just to see how much more stupidity I could witness from this company and sure enough they refused to call head office because they said they knew they were right. I then called head office back on my cell and convinced them to call the store. I watched as the manager told head office that they were wrong and refused to honour their policy. That is how much of a disaster CT corp is.
A bit off topic but this reminds me of something.
With a PM based on corporate policy, who actually eats ther loss in profit for that item?
Is it the owner of the store or does he get reimbursed by CT head office.
If it's the owners loss, and I think it is, I can see why CT head office has little control.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5751 posts
1932 upvotes
Cornwall PE
krs wrote: I think the OP needs to look at the other side of the coin.

As was pointed out more than once in this thread, what is the merchant supposed to do with a used item like that?

I had two cases in the last week, one at Home Depot, the other at Ikea, where the product I bought which was supposed to be new had obviously been opened and returned.

At HD it was a weiser door lock which, after I had it installed, it turned out two pieces to complete the installation were missing. Weiser no longer made those pieces (they changed the design) so I had to remove the door lock and reinstall the old one or leave my front door unlocked.
At Ikea all the hardware was missing after I opened the package and in retrospect it was noticable that someone had bought the item, removed the hardware and then returned the item.

Under the circumstances the OP describes CT should definitely not have taken back the item. Now that they did we all pay for it with higher prices.

And btw - CT Has a nice selection of customer reviews on their website. I always read those and have often retrained from buying an item because of those reviews.
I worked at hd for 8 years, usually as with most retail locations the item is resold as open box with a slight reduction. Having bought open box items myself I usually search to see if that option is available and happily buy reaping the benefit of a discount.
A lock set might be looked at differently and sometimes people would actually open the carton in the store or an associate would for them for a closer view. It is unusual for a part to be missing and sorry to hear that you had that experience, though I do believe weiser will expedite the missing parts to you free of charge even if it is a discontinued item.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5751 posts
1932 upvotes
Cornwall PE
krs wrote: A bit off topic but this reminds me of something.
With a PM based on corporate policy, who actually eats ther loss in profit for that item?
Is it the owner of the store or does he get reimbursed by CT head office.
If it's the owners loss, and I think it is, I can see why CT head office has little control.
I would say the store, but I wouldn't feel too sorry for them, it's just a part of doing business and there is usually still a profit to be made on the item.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5751 posts
1932 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Chookman wrote: Or what will happen? I've been down this road before (regarding their PM policy) and the head office is powerless. They said that all franchises "should follow best business practice". When I told them that the store refused to follow the stated policy and that is why I'm calling them and if there was any way that head office could force the store to "follow best business practice", they responded that they could not "force" them to follow it but it made no sense for them not to. I responded that I agreed that it made no sense and that is why I was calling head office. Head office then told me to drive back to the store and tell them that head office agrees with me and for the store to call head office if they won't comply - rather than head office directly calling the store. I figured I'd do that just to see how much more stupidity I could witness from this company and sure enough they refused to call head office because they said they knew they were right. I then called head office back on my cell and convinced them to call the store. I watched as the manager told head office that they were wrong and refused to honour their policy. That is how much of a disaster CT corp is.
I of course would call corporate again, and if no further satisfaction is realized perhaps get the media involved or at least threaten to do so. I myself as I said have never had a problem returning or pming at any of the cnt stores I have dealt with, a good deal of them here in the maritimes at least.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
406 upvotes
malecoke wrote: I can buy 2 shoes/jeans/shirts/watches/jackets/bags/wallets/purses/scarfs and even cellphones (under 30mins talk time) , compare them at home all day long and return one of them without hassel.
With cars, you have the opportunity to test drive them before you buy. With a sealed box of product, in this case a humidifier, was i supposed to plug it in at the store and try it before i leave?
You don't get to try every product before you buy it. In CT's case, if the product is not on display for you to see, then you have to decide on the risk involved in buying it at CT and possibly not being able to return it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6061 posts
594 upvotes
SW Ontario
betamaxman wrote: I worked at hd for 8 years, usually as with most retail locations the item is resold as open box with a slight reduction. Having bought open box items myself I usually search to see if that option is available and happily buy reaping the benefit of a discount.
A lock set might be looked at differently and sometimes people would actually open the carton in the store or an associate would for them for a closer view. It is unusual for a part to be missing and sorry to hear that you had that experience, though I do believe weiser will expedite the missing parts to you free of charge even if it is a discontinued item.
The post you replied to weren't open boxed items. They were on the shelf as new items. So open boxed description doesn't really have anything to do with this other than maybe they should have been sold 'as is open box' but weren't.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
754 upvotes
Vancouver
I hope CT doesn't put the humidifier OP returned back on shelf. If not properly cleaned, sit on shelf for few months.. Moisture inside could turn moldy, next buyer could be unknowingly breathing in bacteria.
Whcih is reason why CT does not accept return of A/C and other air "conditioning" products.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5992 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
betamaxman wrote: I worked at hd for 8 years, usually as with most retail locations the item is resold as open box with a slight reduction. Having bought open box items myself I usually search to see if that option is available and happily buy reaping the benefit of a discount.
The lock set was not marked as "open box" nor was the price reduced.
The package looked a bit beat up but it was the last one of that type that HD had and the unit inside looked brand new.
I think what happened is that the prvious purchaser probably lost two of the parts from his/her previous purchase and decided this was the easy way to get them - buy another unit, take out the parts and then return it, leaving me with the problem.
I did call Weiser, turns out the missing parts had been redesigned and the ones I wanted to complete that lock set were no longer available.
Took the lock set back to HD, explained the situation and got a refund, no issues.
But I still had the hassle of uninstalling the lock set and putting in the old one temporarily - I'm upset with HD that they would take an item back that was possibly opened and resell it as new without checking that all the pieces were there.
Also ended up with a 7 1/2 foot prelit Christmas Tree I bought from HD on-lin e which had obviously been opened before, on that one 3/4 of the lights didn't work when I put it together.
Since I know a bit about electronics I quickly figured out what the problem was and fixed it, but I'm still miffed that stores would sell returned and opened items as new.
But if more people have the attitude of the OP I can see why.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)