• Dec 20th, 2015 9:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5768 posts
1942 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Hard to say without seeing the package but I have seen items coming in off a truck that were roughed up a little bit, ie corner of master carton on a pallet damaged and the packaging being slightly torn, especially something large like a christmas tree. Such rough handling can make it look as if the package has been opened. Not saying that is your case or not just what I have seen when I worked at hd. It is also not uncommon for a package to be opened by an associate when a customer wants a look, the package being sealed by the associate, and I must admit not being sold as an open box or reduced. This sort of thing is the cause of re sealed packaging many more times than a returned item. Many returned items that are because of a failure or what have you are returned to the vendor for a refund to hd. My observations suggest to me that rough handling and exhibiting an item to a customer result in more repaired or resealed packages than customer returns do. Most items returned at least at hd are returned to the vendor or written off and destroyed. Resellable items resealed from a customer return usually end up on a reduced to clear table.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6062 posts
595 upvotes
SW Ontario
krs wrote: The lock set was not marked as "open box" nor was the price reduced.
The package looked a bit beat up but it was the last one of that type that HD had and the unit inside looked brand new.
I think what happened is that the prvious purchaser probably lost two of the parts from his/her previous purchase and decided this was the easy way to get them - buy another unit, take out the parts and then return it, leaving me with the problem.
I did call Weiser, turns out the missing parts had been redesigned and the ones I wanted to complete that lock set were no longer available.
Took the lock set back to HD, explained the situation and got a refund, no issues.
But I still had the hassle of uninstalling the lock set and putting in the old one temporarily - I'm upset with HD that they would take an item back that was possibly opened and resell it as new without checking that all the pieces were there.
Also ended up with a 7 1/2 foot prelit Christmas Tree I bought from HD on-lin e which had obviously been opened before, on that one 3/4 of the lights didn't work when I put it together.
Since I know a bit about electronics I quickly figured out what the problem was and fixed it, but I'm still miffed that stores would sell returned and opened items as new.
But if more people have the attitude of the OP I can see why.
There is also a good chance someone just stole the parts out of it in the store. Just as plausible.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6023 posts
1030 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
redgrandam wrote: There is also a good chance someone just stole the parts out of it in the store. Just as plausible.
I suppose - although with security cameras all over and HD associates everywhere I would think that is pretty risky.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6062 posts
595 upvotes
SW Ontario
krs wrote: I suppose - although with security cameras all over and HD associates everywhere I would think that is pretty risky.
Absolutely. You may be surprised what people will do though. Lol.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6023 posts
1030 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
betamaxman wrote: Hard to say without seeing the package but I have seen items coming in off a truck that were roughed up a little bit, ie corner of master carton on a pallet damaged and the packaging being slightly torn, especially something large like a christmas tree. Such rough handling can make it look as if the package has been opened. Not saying that is your case or not just what I have seen when I worked at hd. It is also not uncommon for a package to be opened by an associate when a customer wants a look, the package being sealed by the associate, and I must admit not being sold as an open box or reduced. This sort of thing is the cause of re sealed packaging many more times than a returned item. Many returned items that are because of a failure or what have you are returned to the vendor for a refund to hd. My observations suggest to me that rough handling and exhibiting an item to a customer result in more repaired or resealed packages than customer returns do. Most items returned at least at hd are returned to the vendor or written off and destroyed. Resellable items resealed from a customer return usually end up on a reduced to clear table.
Nice to get some feedback from someone who actually worked at HD.

The Weiser door lock package looked as if it had been on the shelf for quite a while, somewhat battered all around as if people had taken it off the shelf and put it back many times.
It was the last one that HD had and there was no more stock coming according to the HD associate.

The Christmas Tree was another story.
It was ordered from HomeDepot.ca and was delivered, assume from an HD warehouse.
The box was the typical cheap box of products "Made in China" but what triggered the thought it had been opened is that the sealing tape used was the cheap tape on buys at the dollar store and that half the tape had already come off when it was delivered.
Since I don't see any reason why HD at their warehouse would open the box, I assume it was a return that was just shipped out again.
Maybe HD actually checked it to see if all the bits and pieces were there but I assume they never plugged in all the light strings or they would have seen that a large number of lights did not work.
I would have sent it back for a replacement but by the time the item was delivered everything on line was out of stock and the HD near me didn't have any either.
So the choice was to either keep that one or start hunting for a suitable tree again.