• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2020 2:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2103 posts
636 upvotes

Heads up and looking for recommendations - Data wipe out and recovery

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge for the majority here, but I sure found out about this the hard way.

I subscribed to a BYOD plan with a new carrier, and upon inserting a new sim into my 2 years old S9+, it performed a factory reset by itself. Yup, it happened while i left it charging, I didn't touch or click on anything. Everything inside the phone is wiped. No I do not have anything backed up on google drive.

I immediately complained to the new carrier, the Agent stated this was, verbatim, "age old common knowledge" that I should be aware of, and this wipe out was a "self directed action". This phone has travelled to Hong Kong and Japan with me, and 2 new sim cards from different carriers have been inserted, it never triggered a factory reset. So there was no reasonable opportunity for me to foresee this happening.

So while I'm battling with the carrier for failing to warn their new customers of this unauthorized factory reset, I need recommendations to a data recovery center . I found werecoverdata in North York, but their online review seems to be limited.

Thank you all in advance!
6 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18141 posts
8002 upvotes
Oakville
This isn't something the carrier did. This is something that Samsung phones are known to do. It doesn't happen when you replace with a sim from another country, but it does happen when you replace with a different Canadian sim.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4355 posts
1614 upvotes
GTA
No I do not have anything backed up on google drive.
Unfortunately, you're learning the hard way about keeping back ups.

Data recovery after a factory reset is not possible. Phones aren't like regular spinning hard drives. Modern phones are encrypted. Once a factory reset is done, the keys used to decrypt that data are removed.

Any reputable data recovery service will tell you the same thing.
wearysky wrote: This isn't something the carrier did. This is something that Samsung phones are known to do. It doesn't happen when you replace with a sim from another country, but it does happen when you replace with a different Canadian sim.
Yeah, Samsungs are notorious for this but it's only supposed to happen on the first insertion of a Canadian SIM as far as I know. If you've had a Canadian SIM in it before, it's not supposed to do it if you switch to another Canadian carrier.

Maybe "not supposed to" is the key phrase.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18141 posts
8002 upvotes
Oakville
Dave98 wrote: Maybe "not supposed to" is the key phrase.
Yeah, I dunno what the expected behaviour is, but OP's post is not even REMOTELY the first time I've seen somebody on here posting about a Samsung doing this exact thing.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Nov 30, 2016
801 posts
961 upvotes
Mississauga
Unfortunately this is par for the course with Samsung flagships (don't know about other phones). Are you certain you do not have a google or samsung back up of the files you need? Most of the backups are automatic.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4355 posts
1614 upvotes
GTA
wearysky wrote: Yeah, I dunno what the expected behaviour is, but OP's post is not even REMOTELY the first time I've seen somebody on here posting about a Samsung doing this exact thing.
I think most of the time, that comes from people who setup their phones before they even put their SIM cards in. Like I said, that's how it's supposed to be... only the first time a SIM is inserted so that it installs carrier apps.

I went from Koodo to Telus earlier this week and I was a little paranoid about this exact scenario so I didn't put the SIM card in until I got home and made sure I had everything backed up first. Fortunately, nothing happened on my S10+
Oct 14, 2006
140 posts
49 upvotes
Richmond
Unfortunately you're screwed. The wipe is basically an anti-theft wipe. It nukes the encryption keys and all your data is gone. It's a Samsung "feature" and other phones don't do it.

TL;DR - I have a Google Pixel 3 XL now. Guess why. I did have a backup, however.