Food & Drink

Heads Up Marmalade Makers: Seville Oranges Are Available

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2020 10:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1052 posts
675 upvotes

Heads Up Marmalade Makers: Seville Oranges Are Available

Last year was a bad growing season for Seville oranges.
I did get some small ones but they did not look fresh.

This year I started looking early.
It must be a good year as the oranges are the best I have ever seen, large and firm without as many seeds as usual.
Paid $20.00 for 12 oranges and 2 lemons
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1350 posts
976 upvotes
GTA West
profile wrote: Last year was a bad growing season for Seville oranges.
I did get some small ones but they did not look fresh.

This year I started looking early.
It must be a good year as the oranges are the best I have ever seen, large and firm without as many seeds as usual.
Paid $20.00 for 12 oranges and 2 lemons
Is marmalade as easy as say, strawberry jam? I love marmalade but it seems to me it has already been perfected. Can the commercial product be improved on by making it at home?
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1052 posts
675 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Is marmalade as easy as say, strawberry jam? I love marmalade but it seems to me it has already been perfected. Can the commercial product be improved on by making it at home?
I think the homemade taste is fresher.
Nothing I have purchased has matched the taste.

My recipe takes three days to process so longer than strawberry jam.
First thinly slice the orange and remove multiple seeds. Leave overnight.
Second day cook the orange mixture with added water for one hour.Leave overnight
Third day, cook the juice in 4 cup small batches (x8) with sugar until thickened about 1 hour.
Small batches gives a fresher, lighter coloured product.
Make ~30 cups. Can half or quarter recipe.

I am sure there are other easier recipes but this one works for me.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
6903 posts
2919 upvotes
I have been sort of thinking of this, thank you. They have little 3.7ml bottles of natural orange oil at Michaels and I imagine that a few drops would make for some killer marmalade.

I was looking at a really old recipe for Dundee Marmalade which had thick cut rind, treacle (molasses) and orange oil in it. It sounded powerful.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1052 posts
675 upvotes
lecale wrote: I have been sort of thinking of this, thank you. They have little 3.7ml bottles of natural orange oil at Michaels and I imagine that a few drops would make for some killer marmalade.

I was looking at a really old recipe for Dundee Marmalade which had thick cut rind, treacle (molasses) and orange oil in it. It sounded powerful.
lecale, I borrowed a book for the library dedicated to marmalade. Unfortunately life happened and I never got to read it.
Last year I tried adding a little Triple Sec to one batch and Cointreau to another. Spouse was not impressed.

Your recipe sounds like it is worth a try.

My recipe came from an older, "Laura Secord's Canadian Cookbook", with recipes from across Canada.The book is dog eared.
Recipe for Sunshine Strawberry Jam is unorthodox as you leave the jam out in the sun. Crazy but delicious.

Top