Headshot for business card

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2017 12:24 pm
Mar 24, 2006
405 posts
3 upvotes
Chatham

Headshot for business card

looking for a place for headshot, any recommendations? Seems pretty expensive everywhere.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1897 posts
557 upvotes
North York
Where is everywhere and how expensive is expensive? You can hire a professional photographer to do it, depends on the style, location and what you want out of it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7844 posts
8792 upvotes
hehehaha wrote: looking for a place for headshot, any recommendations? Seems pretty expensive everywhere.
Headshots on business cards are tacky as hell.

Please don't put your face on your business card.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6565 posts
2094 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: Headshots on business cards are tacky as hell.

Please don't put your face on your business card.
Maybe he's a real estate agent?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7844 posts
8792 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote: Maybe he's a real estate agent?
Even worse lol, the classic realtor business card with an ugly headshot. A huge waste of money imo.

Try something more useful like video tours and a well designed website.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
superfresh89 wrote: Even worse lol, the classic realtor business card with an ugly headshot. A huge waste of money imo.

Try something more useful like video tours and a well designed website.
I did headshots for a top broker's team in the GTA who teaches other realtors, they have a graphic designer who creates wallet cards, door hangers, large mailbox cards who will tell you otherwise. They're in lots of handshake situations where they will take the person's information, then exchange a physical card. It needs an image of the realtor so the other party re-connects the in-person experience and remembers what the realtor looks like. FWIW, his card is a simple white on black concierge-type look on the front, no pics of anything. The back is where his headshot is, part of his brand, and all the the other relevant information including a link to a well designed website, so I'll give you that part. But ya, there's lots of cheesy cards out there when they're not updated or don't use a budget for design.
Mar 24, 2006
405 posts
3 upvotes
Chatham
yep, that's for my friend who is getting into the real estate path, We checked few places, range from $150-$300 400? that's expensive for one or two photos Face Screaming In Fear
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1897 posts
557 upvotes
North York
Very reasonable prices considering the amount of work to get those one or two final photos. And you have to realize they're taking a lot more than two photos. Unless your friend is a professional model too, it'll take a lot more shots to get the right one.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
thericyip wrote: Very reasonable prices considering the amount of work to get those one or two final photos. And you have to realize they're taking a lot more than two photos. Unless your friend is a professional model too, it'll take a lot more shots to get the right one.
+1

People often think the guy/gal behind the camera presses the shutter and that's a few hundred bucks, done, thanks. And I don't blame them with one tap smartphones.

Nope, here's a guy who centred his life around professional headshots, ignore he's using over 50K in equipment, some people think he's a cocky goofball, but OP watch how he poses someone using his jaw line and squinch technique.
More importantly, how he casually interacts with the subject to create a connection and invoke a natural expression so the person ignores they are being shot. Then how many shots before he finally gets a keeper or two.

Hurley doesn't edit his photos anymore but I guarantee the retoucher is doing things like frequency separation and other fixes, this would be a typical realtor headshot:

The price is for the photog skills and to support the business like any profession.

The goal for a realty headshot is confident and approachable.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
hehehaha wrote: yep, that's for my friend who is getting into the real estate path, We checked few places, range from $150-$300 400? that's expensive for one or two photos Face Screaming In Fear
Yah, that's what we say when real estate agents as for 2.5% and do nothing to justify the fee.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Oct 3, 2017
3 posts
Toronto
I've got mine done at Rapid Photo....less than 40 bucks...easy

I always have my mug shot in business card. Suits on!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if you can do this at Costco or anywhere that takes Passport photos, then you give out the photo to the business card company to scan and add on the business card.
You can't smile on Passport photos, just tell them its not for passport and pls smile.

I see a lot of RE ads or business card, that person looks awful in the picture and I wouldn't bother to contact even I'm looking for RE agent, lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
If you can perfect your own posing and expression by mirror practicing, that'll help. But there's other things to consider like lighting, camera angle, post processing/removing blemishes etc.

Passport, watch them do it at Costco, it's done with a kit lens, single flash on-camera pointing forward through a diffuser. The lighting is flat and the camera angle is straight on:

Versus an executive headshot, the lighting is dynamic, off-camera strobes, reflectors, portrait lens:

If you look closely, the backlight puts a glow behind her:

And this one is at angle downward, photog on a step ladder to the right:

A professional will help you pick your best side and use camera angles to your advantage, even lens choice. Lindsay Adler and Sue Bryce (her example below) taught me how to manipulate shapes in camera.

People sometimes comment to photogs "you're talented", "you have an eye". I'll be humble and gracious, but it's deliberate things being done, it's repeatable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)