Health benefits - waiving rights due to better spousal insurance

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2019 2:08 pm
[OP]
Mar 12, 2006
183 posts
153 upvotes

Health benefits - waiving rights due to better spousal insurance

My wife has been covered by my health/dental benefits plan for years.
She has started working and as she was planning to have some major dental work done, she opted in for her employer's Dental benefits and waived the Health Benefits.
She has been coordinating her dental claims since then and submitting first to her insurance then the remaining amount to mine.
Her insurance won't pay for any of the major dental work (0% for porcelain crowns) and she think it was a bad idea for her to opt in.
This is just complicating her claim submissions without any actual added benefits.

She found a waiver form on her insurance web site and it seems she can waive the dental benefits as well.
It does say that the form is used in case of changes, like one spouse becomes eligible for better coverage under the other spouse's plan.
There are no changes in our case, as she has always been covered under my plan.

Will it be an issue for her or my insurer if we submit this form?
I don't see how this could be an issue for her insurer, but it could be for mine as they know we are currently coordinating the dental claims.
Is there any risk that submitting the waiver form may affect my wife's future eligibility from my insurance?

Please, advise.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1762 posts
1301 upvotes
Toronto
I don't see any problem with either insurer if she wants to waive her right to benefits, as long as you inform them properly. However, I would have her keep all her health and dental insurance benefits because if you ever divorce you may be found responsible in your divorce settlement to be responsible for her benefits as you were responsible for them during your marriage. And at that point if she isn't working, you will be forced to be separated and not divorced, since if you divorce you can't keep her on your insurance and you may not want to pay out of pocket for her potentially costly dental work, prescription drugs, orthotics, massages etc.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2006
183 posts
153 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote: I don't see any problem with either insurer if she wants to waive her right to benefits, as long as you inform them properly.
Thanks. What do you mean inform them properly? My wife will send the waiver to her insurance, but how to properly inform my insurance.
My wife is eligible for insurance from her employer, but decided to waive her rights and now will be submitting claims only to my insurance?
This does not seem like a very good idea to me. Why do I need to tell my insurance anything. She is covered by them anyways. She could have lost her job.
Will they inquire about the reason why suddenly my wife's full claims come to them instead just the reminder amounts like before?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1762 posts
1301 upvotes
Toronto
vdimitrov wrote: Thanks. What do you mean inform them properly? My wife will send the waiver to her insurance, but how to properly inform my insurance.
My wife is eligible for insurance from her employer, but decided to waive her rights and now will be submitting claims only to my insurance?
This does not seem like a very good idea to me. Why do I need to tell my insurance anything. She is covered by them anyways. She could have lost her job.
Will they inquire about the reason why suddenly my wife's full claims come to them instead just the reminder amounts like before?
I would call them to be sure, but I think "informing them properly" just means not to tick off on the claim form that you have other coverage as well.