None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19519 posts
2234 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Health Canada gives licence to deceive

The gist of it is, CBC Market Place did an episode on how lax the rules are at Health Canada when it comes to getting a over the counter remedy approves by faking a product of their own which was approved with very little research.
8 replies
Aug 4, 2014
491 posts
53 upvotes
North of GTA
Consumers should be verifying information and stop believing outrageous claims on products.

It does not matter if a Dr. endorsed it. Money corrupts people.

For example, Dr. Mehmet Oz, who has his own TV show, made a big deal about green coffee beans and weight loss. Although he never personally endorsed any manufacturer of green coffee beans, he still benefited from it. Many people think he is some sort of medical guru. I had several discussions with my mother about it. She is not an educated woman. She does not understand critical thinking or that he makes money even though he does not personally endorse any product.
Info on collection agencies, check out The Wolf at the Door by Mark Silverthorn. The Statute of Limitations (SOL) is 2 years in Ontario for unsecured debt.
Derogatory lines are purged after 6 years on Equifax / Transunion. 1 in 10000 unsecured debts are litigated. They don't usually sue.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19519 posts
2234 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Well aren't you special? People do need to be diligent but everything is playing against consumers in the market place. This show is very informative I'm sure it caught some of those so called critical thinkers too. They also did a show where fish chicken meats are all scams. Organics are not organics and wild vs farmed not true in 4 out of 5 lab tests. Suckers are paying higher prices for dupes.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8979 posts
2245 upvotes
John Oliver's already covered Dr Oz and the scammy supplements industry in the US, much of which applies and extends to Canada as well.

You will get snake-oil salesmen no matter where you go or what time period you're in.

"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Aug 4, 2014
491 posts
53 upvotes
North of GTA
Supercooled wrote: Well aren't you special? People do need to be diligent but everything is playing against consumers in the market place. This show is very informative I'm sure it caught some of those so called critical thinkers too. They also did a show where fish chicken meats are all scams. Organics are not organics and wild vs farmed not true in 4 out of 5 lab tests. Suckers are paying higher prices for dupes.
I like Marketplace and I learn a lot from it. I don't watch TV and unless somebody points out a specific episode, I don't watch it. The government is sometimes NOT on the side of consumers. Canada does not have mandatory GMO labeling even though many consumers have asked for it.
Info on collection agencies, check out The Wolf at the Door by Mark Silverthorn. The Statute of Limitations (SOL) is 2 years in Ontario for unsecured debt.
Derogatory lines are purged after 6 years on Equifax / Transunion. 1 in 10000 unsecured debts are litigated. They don't usually sue.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4341 posts
936 upvotes
Richmond
people who believe this idiot obviously failed first year english or gave everything they learned back to the prof. Or B, did not go to college. You are taught about this kind of fallacy in class btw.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10592 posts
2272 upvotes
Nowhere
bluebellrose wrote: people who believe this idiot obviously failed first year english or gave everything they learned back to the prof. Or B, did not go to college. You are taught about this kind of fallacy in class btw.
Wow. Pot meet kettle.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1487 posts
524 upvotes
Calgary
SteveRoss wrote: I like Marketplace and I learn a lot from it. I don't watch TV and unless somebody points out a specific episode, I don't watch it. The government is sometimes NOT on the side of consumers. Canada does not have mandatory GMO labeling even though many consumers have asked for it.
There shouldn't be mandatory labeling of gmo. Just like there isn't mandatory labeling of none-organic. There is nothing wrong with gmo or none organic food.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5882 posts
3889 upvotes
That is the purpose of most governments and corporations.. deceiving the general public for their own benefit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)